Panay now in charge of windows and devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by desertlap, Feb 5, 2020.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

2. Cuhulin

Cuhulin Scribbler - Standard Member

It can go two ways - getting Panos further from the lab and hardware may slow innovation there, or having the hardware and software under one leader may lead to better integration of the two. My hope is that we see the latter.

My suspicion is that this reorganization is the result of the problems with the SPX and similar upcoming products, with Sha resolving finger pointing about that by putting the software and hardware under one lead.

nnthemperor and Lilawyn like this.
  3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Little footnote, big implications...

"ZDNet also reveals that Panay may have been considering a new role inside or outside of Microsoft that could have involved a leave of absence or even him joining Apple. If that’s accurate, then such a move would certainly prompt Microsoft to try to keep its Surface chief from joining a rival like Apple."

That would have been disastrous for Surface/MS to lose Panay right before the Neo/Duo/Windows X launch :vbeek: (and I'm not sure how much Panay would have been able to influence entrenched Apple design anyways).

Good on Nadella for the promotion/counter-offer lol! :thumbsup:

lovelaptops and Lilawyn like this.
  4. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I thought Panay was happy at MS. Oh well, even if he decided to leave, we've got @jnjroach and @desertlap to steer there ship to the Neo and Duo promised Land.

Why would Apple want him, by the way? Don't they have Johnny Ives? Maybe a switch?

Sent from my SM-P205 using Tapatalk

lovelaptops and jnjroach like this.
  5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

The idea of fusing software and hardware is a great one, and I like Panos’ explanation in the internal memo, but this sentence give me pause:

“Panay’s move appears to be the next step in that work, but he won’t be taking a place on Microsoft’s senior leadership team. He will still report into Rajesh Jha, who heads up the Experiences and Devices unit at Microsoft.”

I have to ask why? Shouldn’t he be part of the management team at this point? Perhaps its a good thing, to stay focused, but seems like a slight.

Steve S and nnthemperor like this.
  6. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Actually, I could see how Panay could have been feeling stifled. After the 'golden years' of Surface, which broke new ground in PC form-factor with Surface Book and Surface Studio, MS' momentum kind of stalled.

A lot of that I think had to do with the the limitations of Windows 10 being stuck in a traditional desktop paradigm. The Windows/Edge team's decision to change fundamental pen behavior is another example of how little control the Surface team had over the ultimate UX.

Now Panay is Microsoft's 'Jonny Ive', he's master of the creative direction of the end-user experience. :)

nnthemperor, Steve S and desertlap like this.
  7. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well if they truly embrace something that Panay has publicly pondered about, e.g. making the Surface the best possible MS client experience it would certainly shake things up.
    https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/3/...atya-nadella-importance-apps-services-android

Also Windows itself has gotten so huge and so many companies business has absolutely dependent on it, it should give MS some room to truly innovate again, akin to what they did with the original surface when they felt like innovation had stalled with their OEM partners.

And it makes me think that the hardware group is already on this path of "the best user experience " regardless of underlying oS with the duo. And I'll admit that initially I wasn't really all that interested in the Duo compared to the Neo, but my view on that is rapidly evolving and it might represent the true "next step" for MS

PS: I think Apple is edging in that direction too by optimizing the individual platforms while ta the same time providing at least some levels of interoperability such as pages, numbers safari etc.

nnthemperor likes this.
  8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...It can go two ways...>>

My thought, too. And another consideration; family. As you ascend the corporate ladder, there comes a point where the job can become so big that a person is forced to choose. Obviously attached to his young family, this promotion could become a problem for Panos...

nnthemperor likes this.
  9. dstrauss

Grumpy old man here (a day of being "snowed in" in West Texas is hard to fathom), but I just have trouble seeing MS becoming a mini-Apple customizing and integrating the Windows experience to its own hardware, while appeasing OEM's and the enterprise desire to squeeze every minute of life out of ancient hardware (was in the doctor's office a few days ago and saw something running Windows XP) I know that's probably just a custom tool, but give me a break!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    nnthemperor likes this.
  10. dstrauss

I know better than to source to Paul Thurrott around here, but he did post one interesting question on Windows Weekly yesterday that still haunts me, because it lines up with my Panay theory - Paul said Windows is still MS's number one business, so why is it still not represented on the senior leadership team?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020