Panasonic Toughbook

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by mvragan, Oct 27, 2010.

1. mvragan

mvragan Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a Panasonic Toughbook and the USB ports are worn out and won't make contact when plugged in. I understand the ports are tied in with the motherboard so cannot be replaced without putting in a new motherboard. Is is hard to replace a motherboard? What knowledge do I need to replace one? Is there any other fix? Do I need a new board or will a rebuilt on work ok?

2. Sergei

Sergei Digital Artist

I'm doing this myself right now. You don't say which model you have. What I say here applies specifically to the CF-18, but my guess is that other models won't be very different.

I did initially attempt to solder new USB sockets to the board - a tricky job, (and obviously one that entails a fair degree of risk). When this didn't work I decided to replace the motherboard. Used boards - for this model at least - are available for reasonable prices on eBay.

Physically it's reasonably easy if you take care. In particular, be careful disconnecting the connectors to the screen, which contain extremely fine wires, and when reconnecting the delicate ribbon connectors that link the motherboard to the other component boards.

If you want to keep things simple I recommend that you get the precise version of the motherboard that you already have, so that your Windows installation and install discs will - hopefully - work on the new hardware. I chose to upgrade the board at the same time, which has led to complications I'm still working my way through! Look for the exact model number, e.g. CF-18XXXXXXX. (See here for more detail.)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. Karimsays

Karimsays Pen Pal - Newbie

I would advise you to check if you have a warranty and/or see if Panasonic would repair it for you at cost or for free.

While it's possible to change the urb ports by hand you have to bear in mind that these small tablet PCs have small parts inside, and the soldered connections for the USB are very small, so it's very tricky to solder by hand.

If you do go down the motherboard swap route, take a lof of pictures of your setup as you remove components bit by bit. It's easy to get lost in the whole thing and forget which bits go where.