Panasonic Toughbook CF-18 Handywriting problem

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by TheManWithNoFace, Jun 7, 2013.

1. TheManWithNoFace

TheManWithNoFace Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys. My boss bought a Panasonic CF-18 Toughbook for the work van which is great and works really well. However we're having a bit of a tough time (No pun intended) figuring out just how to convert the handwriting to text as it says it can do. We've tried everything and searched every corner of the computer to try and figure this out but we're stumped. Does anyone have any suggestions or a way of getting this to work?

Many thanks.

Ryan.

2. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

You open the TIP (the Text Input Panel) and write in it. It then converts it to text. This is usually after you've "trained" the machine to read your handwriting, if you want better recognition. If you're online, text fields in Windows 7 will show the TIP icon when you tap on the area (like the google search engine). Tap on the icon, and up pops the TIP. If you're using Windows 8, it's more complicated, and seems to need to be invoked manually. There are a number of threads about this in the Software or Windows 8 forum. I would search or post there.

The real question is how you are planning on using the TIP, and what OS you are using. Some forms come pre-prepared for TIP input, others do not. Some only want the signature, and therefor just need a field to input the handwriting. Others need to convert to text.

If you go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Pen Options > Handwriting, you'll find the second for training the OS to be more specific to your handwriting (although it also works out of box). If you go to Control Panel> Hardware and Sound > Tablet PC Settings > Other, you can set up how the TIP will work and if you want an icon to be placed on your Taskbar. I find placing it on the taskbar very very useful, as it sometimes will not open or will not produce the TIP icon when you place the cursor in certain fields. It depends on the program. Being able to activate it "manually" with a quick shortcut on the taskbar is a big time saver. Finally, for tablet pc's, if you're right handed, I suggest putting your taskbar on the right side of your screen, which will make it much easier to use the taskbar and windows button with your right hand, if you're using the pen. Hope that's helpful.

If you give us more info, we can help you more.

3. TheManWithNoFace

TheManWithNoFace Pen Pal - Newbie

See I've tried to find a way to train the toughbook to recognise my handwriting but i cant find where the option is to do that anywhere on the computer.

This is a screenprint of the handwriting tool itself, now some people have said when i write it should automatically convert it to text which doesnt happen, and no where on the application itself is there a button or option to do this as you can see. Now whether there should be one or not i have no idea.
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As you can tell I'm not great with coimputers so "dumbing it down" a bit for me would be much appreciated :D

4. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I'm sorry to repeat this, but did you go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Pen Options > Handwriting to train the computer?

And did you go to Control Panel> Hardware and Sound > Tablet PC Settings > Other to setup the TIP?

The image you've uploaded isn't the TIP, btw. It's some sort of Panasonic program. It won't convert your writing to text at all.

What OS are you running?

5. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Junkie

If he has a CF-18 Touchscreen then he is running XP Pro like me and does not have this option as I can see, only the digitizer model has the windows XP tablet edition which has what you said .

6. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Junkie

I copied and pasted this from a post on forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic. Hope this helps you out

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015