1. You may have noticed that TabletPCReview looks a little different. That's because we've moved to a new, streamlined platform, XenForo. Have yourself a look around and engage with your peers. Tips for completing basic tasks are here. Should you encounter any bugs or issues, please post them in this thread, so that we can prioritize and fix them. And feel free to let us know your opinions of the new site.

Panasonic Toughbook C1 Tablet

Discussion in 'Press Releases and Announcements' started by adam.mt, Mar 2, 2010.

1. adam.mt

adam.mt Super Moderator

Seems Panasonic has joined the multi-touch i Core Tablet game too:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/02/panasonic-slips-core-i5-into-worlds-lightest-12-1-inch-toughb/

Specs are similar to the other 12.1" Tablets, though there is the facility to fit a second hot-swappable battery. Doesn't seem to have an in-built optical drive.

Intrigued by the fact that they will be offering a 'gloved multi-touch' option in "Fall 2010". Does this signal a new multi-touch digitizer in the works?

Specifications:
    Panasonic Toughbook® C1

Genuine Windows 7® (with XP downgrade option)

Intel® Core™ i5-520 processor (2.4GHz)

250GB shock-mounted flex-connect hard drive with quick-release

2GB RAM (DDR3-800), expandable to 6GB

Choice of two 12.1" WXGA (1280 x 800) displays with LED backlighting
    o Multi-touch + digitizer screen allowing input via finger, gestures and electronic stylus
    pen
    o Gloved multi-touch screen allowing input via finger and gestures (available Fall 2010)

Anti-glare screen treatment

6 backlit tablet buttons (5 user-definable)

Hot-swappable twin batteries
    o 5 hour battery life (with one battery); 10 hour battery life (with two batteries)

3.2 lbs (with one battery); 3.7 lbs (with two batteries)

Optional webcam

Built-in dual array microphone

Business-rugged
    o 30" operating drop (to base only)
    o 26 sides 12" drop (non-operating)
    o 225 lb pressurized vibration
    o Magnesium alloy case
    o Spill-resistant keyboard (protects against 6 ounces spills)
    o Triple hinge design with screen rotation lock
    o Ergonomic strap and dome hand support

Embedded Connectivity
    o Optional integrated WWAN / Gobi2000™ mobile broadband (EV-DO and HSPA)
    o Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6200 802.11a/b/g/n
    o Bluetooth® v2.1 + EDR (class 2)
    Panasonic Introduces the Toughbook® C1 Convertible Tablet

Security Features:
    o Fingerprint reader
    o SmartCard reader

11.8" (H) x 8.9" (W) x 1.2-1.7" (D)

Optional desktop dock with DVD multi-drive

Optional 4-bay battery charger

Pricing and Availability
    The Panasonic Toughbook C1 will be available worldwide starting June 2010. In the United States, the Toughbook C1 is expected to be available at an estimated street price of $2499 from authorized Panasonic resellers and distributors.

The Toughbook C1 includes a standard three-year limited warranty.
  2. UnderClock

UnderClock Pen Pal - Newbie

Here is some more links and a video that I stumbled upon today (that lead me to this topic).
    http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/panasonic-toughbook-c1-convertible-2010032/
    http://eon.businesswire.com/portal/...d=news_view&newsId=20100302005760&newsLang=en

Video on Youtube:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj2S3FSOH-E

Very cool tablet concept. It seems to be very well designed, very well thought through.

It's ruggedized, but also light enough for my purposes. Also the use of a Corei5 promises good performance in combination with low enough energy consumption.

This is the most expensive entry in the current shortlist for my next tablet laptop ( Acer TimeLine 1820PT, HP TM2, Fujitsu Siemens T4310 and T4410 - I know, very big price range)

Some things I still need to check out:
    - The quality of the screen (viewing angle, color reproduction, color depth). One of the goals is to do photo editing. I wonder what screen technology they use. TN, PVA, MVA, IPS?
    From the video, it looks like the screen is non-glossy which usually is great for bright environments, but not the best for big color depth (gamut).
    - Output to DVI / HDMI (for connection to external monitor in my working area, not a TV in the living room). Only through docking station or also directly from device? Looks like dock-only. "Dual screen" (quote from video) shounds promising, though.
    - Maximum size of the HDD (supported by the C1's BIOS). I hope that in June 750GB or 1TB (standard size) 2.5" drives will be available, so I would replace the built-in 250GB drive for a bigger one. Them RAW-files are big, and I want carry a lot of them with me.
  3. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think this thing just passed HP 2740p as my most wanted Tablet PC! LOVE the hot swap battery arrangement! Love the hinge design! Love the weight! Love the looks!

With the new Cintiq and this, I'm gonna go out and buy some lotto tickets during lunch!
  4. UnderClock

One thing I forgot to mention in my previous post: I love the keyboard layout.... the well isolated (sticking out of the rectangle) cursor keys, the 2 big shift keys, the well spaced F-keys, Home / End on top (not to the right of the Enter-key and backslash keys).

Why can Apple, Dell, Sony, Toshiba, Asus etc. not get this right? I definitely hate the layout of my current Dell XPS M1330. Still not used to it after 2 years.

Only one thing weird: what is that key for, to the right of the right Shift key? That's a bit odd and may not be so ideal.
  5. Shogmaster

No idea what that key is, but in the video you linked, I think I saw an HDMI port next to the VGA port! This machine has shot to number 1 spot in my gadget lust loins!

Now I just gotta budget out that $3000 or so....
  6. mmccord

mmccord Scribbler - Standard Member

Can't wait to price this out. Been using Fujitsus almost exclusively for years now, but looks to have all of our wants & more.
  7. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't understand what's so great about this tablet PC?
    Too expensive, too thick, too heavy (I would never use it with a single battery, so it's about as heavy as my T2010 with 3.8lbs), really poor display, in my opinion ugly looking, strange touchpad (the display isn't round, so why the touchpad?), probably poor battery life with just 10h on both batteries, so I expect about 6h real life with both batteries.

The hinge looks interesting, but you sadly still have to rotate the display.

So for me, it's a no go, this tablet PC.

However, I think it's a great product for workers or other people who use this in the field. Probably the tablet Dell tried to produce with the XT but failed.
  8. UnderClock

Does anybody have any clue what kind of HDD the C1 will use? 1.8" or 2.5"? If it's 1.8", I'm out... since it would mean that I cannot replace it with something bigger.

I checked the specs here:
    Toughbook C1 Convertible Laptop - Panasonic Toughbook C1 12-inch Tablet PC , but found no answer.

I'm asking this because HP's 2740P is using a 1.8" HDD
    HP EliteBook 2740p Tablet PC Small & Medium Business

BTW, I came across this hands on quick review (in German), from March 2010.
    http://www.golem.de/1003/73537.html
    They talk about a July release for Europe.
  9. Shogmaster

It's 2.5". With swap caddies!
  10. UnderClock

That's good news. :)

That would mean that I would be able to use a 640GB (2.5" / 9mm standard thickness) drive now, and upgrade that to a 750GB or even 1TB drive in the next year or so.

How did you find out, btw? Do you have a URL?

I had given up on the C1 a bit (also because it's the most expensive option on my shortlist), but this makes it the most ideal system for my purposes, especially if Panasonic starts shipping these babies with the UM-versions of the CoreiX-series:
    Type -- Speed -- (turbo) -- L3-cache -- tdp
    i7 660UM 1,33GHz (2,4GHz) 4MB 18W
    i5 540UM 1,2GHz (2GHz) 4MB 18W
    i5 430UM 1,2GHz (1,73GHz) 3MB 18W
    i3 330UM 1,2GHz 3MB 18W
  11. Shogmaster

It was in a video from a blog site. I don't remember which one though. The rep made a big deal about the fact that you have a 2.5" HDD caddy that is designed for quick HDD swapping.
  12. UnderClock

13. JohnRocks

JohnRocks Pen Pal - Newbie

I think that the tough book C1, the world’s lightest 12.1-inch convertible, hardly flinched. It is one of the coolest notebooks of any size we’ve tested and very easy to use and carry.