Panasonic H2 slate Tablet PC

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Agent 9, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thought I'd post this up to see if there is any interest in it (Bronsky, that means you ;) )

It looks like it is a revision of the H1 they had before, I can't be sure, but it looks like it uses a Wacom pen, has a SB i5 (fanless apparently), 10.1" 6,000nit screen (yea, IDK how bright that really is in use, but it must be hella cool to see, seeing as all standard screens are 200-400nit), plus tons of other goodies like dual hot swappable batteries, 128GB SSD, up to 8GB of ram, and more... all for the low low price of $$2,500-3,000!! :eek:

If you can think of affording it and the features really appeal to you then IMO it would be worth giving a shot just to see how awesome it really is, and if it turns out well I'm sure you wouldn't be left wanting much else for the next few years, lol

here is the link to the manufacturer's page Panasonic Toughbook H2 Medical MCA - Panasonic Toughbook H2 Rugged Tablet PC

If anyone out there has one of these puppies I want to hear all about it, and I will want lots of pictures as well as a mini-review :)

2. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

That photo sure makes it look like it has a 4:3 screen!

3. Agent 9

It is; unfortunately 'only' at 1024x768... But its still a reasonable pixel density at a mid way size

If I had the money I would have bought one the other day when I ran across it, the specs just seem awesome, price is the opposite of awesome, but what are you gonna do

4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Wow! Just wow. A fanless I5 SB. I can't even imagine how bright 6000 nits is.:eek: Like all Toughbooks, matt display (although I'm not sure it matters with a 6000 nits display). Wacom pen possibly. This is clearly the most interesting design I've seen so far. Plus, it looks from the re-sellers' sites, that it's either available or will be soon. I have got to see one of these in person. The vPro processor is a real plus.

As with all toughbooks, the price is a bit daunting. The style is, should I say, uniquely Pannasonic Toughbook. And all of the features needed to pass its Milspec requirements and make it basically indestructable, also make it weigh 3.5 lbs.

Nice find. I can't wait for a review either. For many applications such as hospital use, construction and engineering field work, this could be a breakthrough device if it operates as well as Panisonics' other toughbooks. It is encouraging to see tablet design come so far in such a short time.

Thanks so much for posting this. In a different housing and a bit lighter, this is my ideal slate (okay, it would also be nice if it was more affordable).

5. BurntOrngeLonghorn84

BurntOrngeLonghorn84 Scribbler - Standard Member

I love the fact that they're already integrating LTE. I was very disapointed that the new Samsung Series 7 Slate, for all it's glory, didn't have LTE support.

If I had LTE integrated in my CL900, all would be complete in the world. 3G just doesn't cut it.

6. DDSnetCo

DDSnetCo Pen Pal - Newbie

panasonic h2 looks nice.. very expensive tho..

7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I doubt that its fanless. Especially if it hits 6000 nits and desinged for Sunlight use. The heat generated would make it unusable.

8. Agent 9

I mentioned this elsewhere a month or so ago, but the 6000 nits is actually a 'estimation' of its brightness in sunlight (as its a transflexive screen) but it is actually 'only' a 1000 nit screen (supposedly of the same quality/ features as used in their CF-19)

As to the fanless-ness of it, I'm quite positive it actually is fanless, the only problem is that because of that is if the ambient temperature is above a bit warm and there is not much air movement then the machine will heat up to a good temperature and hold there, thus making it uncomfortable to hold close or use in hot environments or when really pushing the machine... fanless designs have actually come a good way in the rugged computing field with a good deal of emphasis of spreading the heat across the casing, kinda like the pics below (left is the old Getac B300 and right the newer B300 with a i7 620LM or the newer yet i7 2649M)
    [​IMG]

There is more on the B300 here Rugged PC Review.com - Rugged Notebooks: GETAC B300X and you can look up the H2 and other Tablet PC's there (the Mobile Demand ones, as well as the Xplore ones seem to stand out)... they really are a good repository of information on older and newer Tablet PC's and more -like this article on the very cool yet long ago abandoned IBM TransNote Pen Computing Magazine: IBM ThinkPad TransNote