Panasonic 20-inch Toughpad Tablet Sports 4K Display, Runs Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Zero, Sep 5, 2013.

1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah...

I can't easily see how a hovering cursor could be done with optical, unless they were exceptionally clever with those lenses.

Though... I have to say, I'm finding myself encouraged by people reporting that the iPad Pro doesn't seem to suffer from the lack of a floating cursor. Maybe, with super accurate nibs, the cursor is something which can be retired..?

Hmm. I'd have to see it to believe it.

I wonder if the two technologies could be combined..? A dot-film with camera plus EMR?

It would seem like overkill, but then again.., no single solution has managed to squash every bug yet.

2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I find that the cursor changing size dependent on selected brush add a layer of mental stability. You can get the brush to start exactly where desired. For small brushes it might not be an issue but when they get large and you want to start at a certain pixel I find it helps, but then again, I"m not a digital artist.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  3. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If heard this suggested many times, when the issue of heavy cursor lag came up with the SP3. To me taking away the cursor is fundamentally a regression in UI and merely masks the hardware limitation.

I've tried to explain many times on this forum how hover precision is crucial when working with multi-state tools and small object handles in programs like Illustrator. Take the transform and pen tools which have different operations depending on the placement relative to object handles.

No matter how precise the pen tip, you can't indicate the impending operation of these multi-state tools without a hover cursor. Touch based interfaces get around this by simplifying the tools themselves into single state tools and making all object handles large enough to reliably hit without a cursor.

That introduces it's own set of limitations though. Have you ever seen a complex mesh gradient vector drawing? These can have upward of 1000 splines with 5-10 vertices each. It's impractical to manipulate these complex objects zoomed in enough so that the vertex handles become large (and you don't risk deselection if you hit the wrong handle). Same goes for precise manipulation of 3D meshes.

And all this is only one example of how the hover cursor improves workflow. As a UI designer, I can tell you in many information rich applications (eg. web apps/analysis tools/games), the hover state can be used to give many subtle indicators that make interface far more intuitive. Of course, you can design around this (for resistive screens for example), but invariably you have reduce compactness of the UI to maintain the same level of simplicity.

The point I'm trying to make is that the hover cursor isn't just something "extraneous" to be just tossed aside as people seem to assert. It provides a subtle, but very real benefit to UI simplicity and workflow precision.

stoneseeker, stormi and thatcomicsguy like this.
  4. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

Thatcomicsguy posted some Anoto related videos on the Hardware sub forum, an I'm here to admit that they gave me a change of heart. I might just be tempted to give the toughpad 4k a try after all. Thanks TCG!