Panasonic 20-inch Toughpad Tablet Sports 4K Display, Runs Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Zero, Sep 5, 2013.

1. kvad

kvad Pen Pal - Newbie

As long as I could find a not-too-abnormal bag to put it in I'd be tempted to do the same. The weight on the thing is pretty amazing for the size so that wouldn't be an issue at all.

Is it possible to hook it up to a desktop and use the digitizer/screen with it?

2. SilverLeaf

SilverLeaf Pen Pal - Newbie

Your wish is granted: http://www.toughmate.com/products/listing/41/#imageGallery[img_gal]/3/

stoneseeker likes this.
  3. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

While I completely agree, why does the luggable cintiq to show clients need to be a honking 20"?
    Is 15" not large enough (they do exist now in Wacom AES and Ntrig.) or is it just simply more space is better for the drawing/painting apect?
    Because, at least for showing clients imagery, even a surface Pro 3 screen seems adequate.

4. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

My same line of thinking. That's why I regard this thing as a home/office fixture hence my statement that a even a Cintiq is more economical. With 6 G's I can build a super desktop, buy a 27" Yiynova and have spare money for desk and chair...

These days those portable/pocketable projectors have decent display capabilities - all you need is a dark white wall.

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

5. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

I prefer to work on site with clients rather than remotely, so I value a large screen area for working, not for displaying work. 15 inches is much too small. Many self taught artists learn by working in small notebooks or on copy paper, as I too did when learning as a kid. So something the size of a digital notebook seems to suit this class of amateur and semipro artist. Pros use these small machines too, of course bit I don't think it 'suits' them, per se; I know that I owe my deep love of my Galaxy Note Pro and SP3 more to Stockholm Syndrome rather than for their actual suitability as drawing tools. I'm probably not alone. In art school we were taught (correctly) to draw using our whole arm, not with our wrists and fingers like little kids, and thus to work large enough to get the arm in on the action. As good as mobile based digital painting is in so many respects, it still utterly fails to capture the raw drawing power of a cheap 2 foot by 3 foot newsprint pad and a stick of charcoal. I've found that 20 inches is about as small a space as is usable for 'full arm drawing', or as I like to call it, 'actual drawing'. A big desktop Cintiq, as we all know, is awesome for pro work, and even for so called actual drawing. So I guess where my needs differ from the professional norm: I need to be able to do professional work in a variety of places. I also strongly want to be able to do actual drawing and pro level painting in places normally reserved for notebook doodling, like coffee shops and under a tree in the park. We do have the technology, and a couple of pounds of 20 inch slate is way easier to lug around than a pochade box, so why the hell am I still chained to my desk?
    <end rant>

Last edited: May 9, 2015
    thatcomicsguy likes this.
  6. YVerloc

I wonder if I could mate a toughpad 4k with the digitzer from a Cintiq 20wsx, DIY style. Maybe mill a custom enclosure out of polycarbonate with room for an extra battery pack? sigh, a man can dream...

7. rebelismo

rebelismo Pen Pal - Newbie

I agree with you about drawing with the full arm. I'm currently waiting on the 15" wacom based iterations of laptop tablets to see if those are much better than the 12"s. Drawing all more portable than a cintiq would be amazing. It would greatly disrupt wacom's cintiq market, and I would even consider selling mine. It would really make sense because clients care about presentation, and I haven't found an artist who likes using photoshop all day on a small device. Not only is it bad ergonomically, but the various menus invade upon the working space quite a bit so that 12" can become 9" quite easily.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2015
  8. YVerloc

whelp, Panasonic announced another update to the Toughpad 4k line today. Sigh. Another day, another version with a ****ty optical pen. Why oh why?

9. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think the optical approach has a lot of merit.

But that pen... Whooboy. Anoto is the digitizer OEM supplier for Panasonic.

I think the pen could be improved upon with some smart design, maybe using a combination of fiber optics and prisms so that the camera element can be positioned in a less obtrusive way. I bet you could even angle the nib "window" so that it lines up fairly well with the drawing point.

Anyway, I hope they do some more development, because optics offer some major benefits if you can harness it right. (Palm rejection is 100% solved; the system scales beautifully, and nib precision is better than anybody can hope for with existing tech.)

I'd actually be happy to have a USB wired pen just so I wouldn't be mucking around with Bluetooth and batteries.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  10. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think optical still has the limitation on hover distance, as the camera can only resolve the dot pattern. So Anoto's solution works best as a low-cost add-on solution for screens that lack originally stylus input, or very large screens where a precise digitizer layer becomes impractical/expensive.

But that's an interesting point you make: in general, the more sub-systems, the more reliable separation of inputs.

In my opinion, finger, stylus, and palm detection should be done as a GPU accelerated algorithm that combines information from electro-static, infrared (heat), and a 3rd precision sensor array (eg. Qualcomm ultrasound/Wacom EMR/Anoto microdots).

Relying purely on one always produces ambiguities that lead to occasional jarring input errors such as ES vectoring from palm, EM interference from conductors (eg. metal/water), and overall tracking jitter.

I think we're probably still 10 years away from a robust stylus solution, but at least we have all the ingredients for it present day. Now if only somebody would build it... :)