Panasonic 20-inch Toughpad Tablet Sports 4K Display, Runs Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Zero, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Zero

Zero Scribbler - Standard Member

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Since nearly all the Toughpad Tablets have Wacom Digitizers....that would make this the biggest (and most expensive) Tablet PC ever.

4. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

This 20" Toughpad certainly isn't sporting Wacom. That would be epic news, even at that price point.
    It features some wierd tech I've never heard of that has a camera in the big pen and reads a series of miniscule dots on the screen like a grid. I forget what its called, but its already been confirmed.

5. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's called Anoto pen technology, which uses an infrared camera to read a microdot pattern on the screen. The pen is connected via bluetooth and reportedly has pressure (2048 levels) and tilt sensitivity.

It's interesting that Panasonic went with this relatively new technology, most probably because of it's zero footprint form factor (at the expense of a bulky pen though).

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. Zero

Zero Scribbler - Standard Member

Source: Panasonic unveils the 20-inch Toughpad tablet - NotebookCheck.net News

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

They were talking about this technology when the Surface was being designed. Should be interesting. Still don't have any idea what I'd do with a 20" tablet.:rolleyes:

8. stoneseeker

Anyone know if Anoto tech will work with wintab?

9. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You know when I read this, for some reason I thought you were saying "I would consider getting this, if it had WinTab support", lol.

Then I thought, "Wait a minute, this is Stoneseeker! (who has a fully tricked out T902, and bought the Duo 13 on a whim)...he actually really might get this." :D

So to answer your question, here's what we know: Panasonic is heavily marketing this towards photographers. Even their CES demo consisted of (very crudely) editing a high-res photo in Photoshop. When reviewers remarked about the minuscule Photoshop icons, the Panasonic rep apparently said they were working on "application-specific"optimizations that would "definitely be ready at launch".

So it may very well be that Photoshop was one of the applications they focused on optimizing. During this, they may have noticed that the lack of pressure sensitivity, alerting them to the issue of WinTab compatibility. Since, they delayed the launch by several months to further ruggedize the chassis, they may have spent extra time ironing out software usability issues.

I know that's a lot of 'may's, but if it is WinTab compatible and you did end up getting one, I would nominate you for an award—"the awesomest, most-dedicated tablet fan on this forum" ;)

Edit: You would also be the first to own all three latest generation digitizer brands for windows :)

10. stoneseeker

LOL The ironic thing is I may be one of the poorest artist's on here (maybe not as creatively-liberated as thatcomicguy, he is dedicated.) ! Seriously, I live check to check right now helping pay off my wife's (art) school loans... I could only justify the price tag of the T902 cause I knew I could write a chunk of for taxes and it would pay for itself with work I do. But man, the car I own is only one grand more than it. Making my T902 my 2nd most expensive thing I own! haha The Duo 13 might be a touch excessive for her since she mostly works with metal, but she has been making good use of it so far for concepting and networking, so no buyers regrets there. But your right, I am definitely a fan of the tablet as an artists tool. It's a bit of an infatuation. :eek:-

Doesn't look like Panasonic understands the needs of the professional digital content creation world though if their stylus wasn't even able to perform simple tasks as a pointer in their concept build:

"To top it off, the tablet refused to acknowledge the taps of the Anoto digital stylus that was tethered to it, only recognizing actions like swiping and dragging. That may be subject to change as well, though in this iteration the pen was ineffective."

If it released as a fully pressure sensitive working device at that size, (doubt it) with real workhorse potential, (that dedicated GPU is a nice touch) that's like a full on digital drafting table!! Not portable, but rad All-in-One.

That would be at least worth saving a search for on Ebay, and hoping to score it cheap down the road when a small architectural firm goes under and needs to recoup some losses or something. :)

Starlight5, thatcomicsguy and azelll like this.