Painting and Drawing with the HP tm2

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by Greenlaw, Feb 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Heh, that gives a new meaning to the term "sandbox game"...

Certainly impressive work there, though I'm wondering how much the tm2 screen/digitizer is affected by jitter and parallax, as well as response near the edges and corners. Those things definitely take some adjustment if someone's coming from pen & paper. (Parallax is very affected by the angle at which the user holds the pen, though; it would be best to take that into account when calibrating.)

I ask because the old HP TC1100 had a lot of jitter to it and had some screen areas with irregular cursor response, whereas my Gateway E-295C/C-14*XL doesn't seem to have any such irregularities, but has worse responsiveness near the edges. (Then again, this is a 10" slate compared to a 14" convertible, with largely the same resolution except for extra width on the 14". The screen size could be a factor, as could be the slate-vs.-convertible aspect with a slate screen possibly having more interference from the main system components.)

2. Meatlocker

Meatlocker Software Development Pro

3. Synergi

Synergi Scribbler - Standard Member

4. daslolo

daslolo Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for mentioning ArtRage Greenlaw ! I am going nuts on art now :)
    (although unfortunately I am also returning my tablet until they fix the problems :( )

5. cgblues

cgblues Pen Pal - Newbie

I pretty much agree with Greenlaws assessment. I use photoshop and Painter 11. I've only been using it for a couple of weeks but once I got the pen pressure issues sorted out, both programs work well.

I use the wacom pen as well (with felt tips). I use One Note a lot and prefer the HP pen for writing etc. Screen gloss/reflection is a bit of an issue for me so I hope someone can find a good screen protector that will work with both pen and touch. So far the TM2 is turning out to be a great little machine.

6. ak_

ak_ Pen Pal - Newbie

Do you think this stylus would work as well as the one mentioned above ? I found it on eBay at a fairly good price and it would be a nice solution for me because those stylus are hard to find in France.

7. Greenlaw

Greenlaw I like pie.

That looks like the first pen I ordered. If it is, it's basically the same pen as the Wacom I'm using now except it doesn't have the second finger switch. The second switch isn't essential, but I like to use it for right-clicking. (I use the first finger switch for middle-click which activates gMote, a very useful gesture program. I'm working on a tutorial that shows how I use this in Photoshop, MangaStudio, and ArtRage Studio, and will post this soon.)

I sent that pen back, but only because it lacked the second switch (which I'm used to using with the Intuos and Cintiq tablets.) Otherwise, it seemed to work just as well as the dual switch version for pressure response.

I think it will work fine with the tm2, but if you can find the dual switch version I'd say go for that instead.

8. ak_

ak_ Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh ok, thanks ! The second switch is actually essential to me so i'll pass on this one. I was trying to find an alternative to the one you bought because i have difficulties finding it.

9. jadefu

jadefu Pen Pal - Newbie

This thread is exactly what I was looking for, thank you so much! I'm going to try out some of those programs and see what I like best. I think I'm going to stick with Photoshop on my desktop and make my tm2 my sketchbook on the go, but I was at a loss as to what software to use.

I tried out the Corel Paint it (I think that's what it is?) pre-installed last night when I was first trying out everything, and it's ok, but not exactly what I need. And the pen is definitely too stiff for drawing, so this thread helps me figure out how to fix that. :)

10. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

damn tat'll be the best thing tat can happen to me if someone really figures tat out.... :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.