Paint Tool Sai V2 - 64bit - beta

Discussion in 'Software' started by thatcomicsguy, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Performance boost was the main goal of a couple of Kickstarter fund raising ago if I remember correctly.
    Also if memory serves me well, they implented multi-core painting which is something fairly rare.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
    Shogmaster likes this.
  2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Very interesting indeed...

3. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The latest beta is out for SAI2 (As of three days ago.)

https://www.systemax.jp/en/sai/devdept.html

Still no touch gui. Lasso still can't toggle between poly and freehand on the fly.

Otherwise, it's smooth as silk. Best brush engine and wacom drivers in circulation.

When Touch is enabled, this will be a real piece of software and will take over the world.

4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Holy cow!

Paint Tool Sai V2 Beta updated several weeks ago and I wasn't paying attention. And the software developer and company president, Koji Komatsu, added a feature I've been requesting since forever, from every major art package! SAI is the first outside Photoshop to offer it.

It's called: "Polygonal + Freeform"

Using the lasso tool, when the stylus is running across the screen it draws a selection line organically, and when you lift the stylus, it doesn't close the selection area but rather automatically toggles into polygonal selection mode, allowing the user to tap points around the desired selection area. You can instantly slip back into draw-to-select mode simply by returning the nib to the screen surface. It closes the selection on a double tap.

-All of which is basically the same as Photoshop's system, minus the need for a keyboard. Not having to fiddle with Alt and CTRL keys to achieve the same functionality makes SAI's implementation an actual GUI improvement.

I'm beside myself. I've been asking for this feature for years. I wonder if this inclusion was a result of my pestering, or if it was a natural extension of the author's work? Who knows? Who cares! It's here and it works! Hallelujah!

Now.., the next big hurdle for SAI is to implement touch features, (panning and pinch-to-zoom, etc.) I can't imagine it should take very long now, given that it's a basic GUI feature these days with lots of examples available to source from, -though, I also suspect it will be somehow just a bit better than everybody else's version. When Koji Komatsu does something, he does it exquisitely!

Check out the beta version of SAI 2:

https://www.systemax.jp/en/sai/devdept.html

WillAdams and Cuberdon75 like this.