P1610 Vs St5112

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by P8RSON, Dec 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Annihilator-X-

Annihilator-X- Pen Pal - Newbie

Greetings all. I am new to this forum and I am from UK. I hope someone can give me advice on my next purchase as a student.
    Sorry for the long post. I hope if someone can help. Thanks.

I had been looking on P1610 for a while now. But after a few factors I thought if ST5112 might be a better option, despite higher price.

Firstly
    CPU:
    P1610 - Core Solo ULV U1400 VS ST5112- Core Duo ULV U2500

I have been using the famous(infamous) Compaq TC1000. And to you all who know how painful it is to live with the Transmeta 1Ghz on the TC1000. That's why I am very concerned about the 1.2Ghz Core Solo on the P1610. I wonder if it's a sufficient processor in terms of multi-tasking. E.g. having MS Word, Excel running and Onenote importing image and switching between them. I know Core is a very potent architecture, and I am not IT illiterate. But Becuase I use Microsoft Onenote a lot:-

I notice that Onenote had quite frequently optimise the database on its own even when I am inking, up to 100% CPU usage on my TC1000. That was very anti-productive. That's why I thought a duo processor would help if unfortunate event of any program crashed, using 100% CPU, I still have another core free to be productive. I very regret that P1610 doesn't utilise the U2500 despite using same socket, pincount, voltage as U2500. I wonder if it can be upgraded though, or if it is hard soldered onto the P1610 motherboard.

Secondly:
    Digitiser

P1610 uses passive digitiser and toucch screen combination. I am not very techical-aware in this area. I wonder if a passive digitiser can be pressure sensitive; or if it's possible with a touchscreen.

I heard the ST5112 uses a much higher quality Wacom digitiser, and I could not verify this with Fujitsu's site. But having a pressure sensitive pen, although it's not necessary, is a choice I am considering. Feel free to convince me the ttoucch screen without hovering might be better

Thirdly: Mic

I might use the machine to record lectures, etc. The P1610 uses a single array mic, with software to filter out noise. I am not sure the effectiveness of this over the St5112 which uses dual array mic. The dual array mic would be favourable because off my experience with the TC1000. Although the mic was very good in terms of response, inking on it while recording would produce loud "tap" sound which ruins the recording. Dual array mic should get rid of this; just not sure about the P1610's single array mic with the software noise canceller.

Lastly: Keyboard

This is the only factor I might deter from the ST5112. I am aware that a keyboard is very useful. I am trading this off with the other 3 points I raised earlier. Of course I can always get a USB keyboard or a bluetooth keyboard.

Thanks again.

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The power of the P1610 will not disappoint you. It is more than enough to run the requirements you mention.

Re the digitizer and pressure sensitivity ~ No, you won't be able to utilize PS.
    Nor will you be able to utilize any of the features from a wacom pen.

Re the Mic ~ Neither machines have the ability to record 'decent quality' from the internal Mic's.
    This is not a fault of the machines but a constriction in all notebooks/tablets/slates.
    For this you will be much better off inserting a dedicated Mic.

The keyboard is a good point.
    Personally I prefer the option of having my keyboard attached to the device.
    Because of it's diminutive size, the P1610 is still small enough to hold in the hand and single hand type should you wish (I rest the machine by sometimes cradling in my arm).

Lastly, I am also from the UK, so if you require any further information fire away. :)

3. Annihilator-X-

Thanks for your kind reply. Nice to meet you.

Since you are from UK too I might as well ask you whether you order tablet from within UK or to import from the US. Both tablets are not widely available in the UK, in fact; ST5112 is not out in the UK yet. I spot quite cheap deals in the US, I do understand I'd need to pay import VAT but I do not understand the procedure. Do you just orrder it anyway and the necessary custom will be send to you when the shipment get inspected from the HM Revenue?

Regarding the digitiser, please elaborate. Did you mean the Wacom pen in ST5112 does not have PS, or were you just mentioning about the P1610?

About the mic, I was interested to know the practical difference between Single array and Dual array. Thanks for reminding me I can always uses an external mic for the purpose if I am not satisffied with the performance.

I do think the P1610 is a superb machine. But performance wise no doubt ST5112 superceed it. The question is if it's worth the extra cash and waiting. Since it's a lot of money I don't want to jump in quickly. It's sad to see no reviews and lack of information available for the ST5112. I'd like to compare thoroughly the two before I choose one over another...

4. okashira

okashira Scribbler - Standard Member

If you are going to be taking notes in college classes I would certantly choose the slate over the p.
    unless you are an arts..mabye buisness major.. the p's screen will be much too small, and AFAIK the writing experience is not as smooth as the wacom interface.

on the mic, ive used the dual array in the t4210, and the quality was pretty bad, and the dual array cancellation feature seemed to do more harm then good and overall an unnessicary headache. they should omit the mics, IMO. use external.

the st slate does of course have pressure sensitivity... the p does not.
    why not consider a t4000 series convertable ?

5. Annihilator-X-

Thanks okashira
    The writing experience is definitely a concern

However, the lack of keyboard with the slate is also a concern. In some lectures I have keyboard is a plus.

About mics, I am actually quite suprised because my TC1000 mic is perfect in sense that in a large lecture hall I could record what the lecturer says in good clarity.The only hinderance is that my inking interferes with it. Which I thought dual array mics would eliminate the issue.

I was originally interested in tc4000 because of brand loyalty. However after many reviews I have seen it's not up to expectation. I also think it's a bit too big for me. I would prefer something in-line with the TC1x00 series

6. haotong

haotong Pen Pal - Newbie

sorry, just one off-topic question,

any ideas when the ST5112 will be available in the UK?? How I can buy it if I need it right now???!!:confused:

7. P8RSON

I have been fortunate in that all my models have been available direct from the UK.
    Personally I prefer the Fujitsu Siemens models over the Fujitsu's.
    There are suttle changes that can make an awful lot of difference.
    I.E. The FSC T4210 uses the Atheros wifi whilst the Fujitsu variation uses the Intel.

As to importing ~ The only fly in the ointment is by just how much Customs will charge you.
    It's a minefield, there is no set price.
    However, those that have done so report it is still cheaper than purchasing in the UK.

Ref the digitizer ~ I was referring to the P1610 not being pressure sensitive.
    The ST5112 will not be a problem.

Finally, there is no noise of when this will be released in the UK.

8. okashira

okashira Scribbler - Standard Member

sorry, i meant a t4000 fujitsu, t4210/t4215... however they are just as big :)

9. Bhaltair

Bhaltair Pen Pal - Newbie

I keep reading you guys state that Fujitsu (US) uses Intel while Fujitsu-S uses Atheros. A year ago I purchased the ST5030D in America from Fujitsu. It definitely has Atheros. I'm not sure if it's "Better," but it did support the b/g dual which bumped up the speed on my private network.
    I'm not sure what this "super" atheros is all about, but I think I'll use Atheros again. It doesn't matter on campus because it's only 11mb there.

As far as notes: The form factor is identical between the ST5030 and ST51000. RARELY would I use my keyboard while in class and I'm a business major. I love the form but I am going to switch to a convertible. Before class I'll be reading books etc. which is great w/o the keyboard, but once in a while I'll pull out my IR keyboard and the way the slate sits in the leather portfolio takes up too much room. There's simply not enough space to type anywhere but on a table.

10. P8RSON

What we're talking about here Bhaltair is the wireless chips fitted in the T4210.
    The US Fujitsu's have the Intel, whilst the European Fujitsu Siemens have the Atheros.

Ask any member who has knowledge and they will tell you, the Atheros chip is a much better chip.
    It has better connection hits, stronger, making holding connections better and enhances ranges.

If I had a choice it would be an Atheros every time over an Intel. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.