Owning both a Surface Pro and Go - is it a pro, or a no-go?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yodamiked, Sep 15, 2020.

1. yodamiked

yodamiked Do or do not. There is no try.

Anyone out there own both the Surface Pro and the Surface Go? If so, what’s your use case?

My firm is providing a small tech budget as a result of us all continuing to work from home. For my personal devices, I currently have a SP6 and a 10.5 iPP. I find myself carrying my iPP around with me everywhere and when I need full desktop mode, I find it a hassle to go grab my SP6 (something about the extra size and the type cover just puts it out of the threshold of being convenient to have with me all the time around the house).

I’m thinking about adding the Go 2 (m3 model) to the mix, but not sure if it will have the ability to take over for my iPP or if it will end up sitting on my desk in the office most days like my SP6 (the type cover isn’t my favorite and W10 lacks a lot of apps that are optimized for touch...looking at you YouTube). Was also considering getting the yoga book C930 given its size and always attached keyboard, but they’re hard to find these days. Grateful to hear anyone’s experience that has a mix of devices like I’m considering and what your use cases are.

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

The only way the title could have been more confusing is if the part behind the dash was "So-so duo or go to combo?" :D

As for the question, I don't have a great answer, I struggle with the same kinds of questions. What is it that the Go would get you over the iPP? Better typing experience? More solid stand?

Given that my tendency is to always buy too much stuff, I've taken to ruling out things instead (I know, sacrilege). The way to tell myself not to buy a Go 2 as an around the house little media machine is because it doesn't have OLED. The Mandalorian just doesn't look that great if space isn't pitch black. If there was a Go 3 with OLED, that'd be the one for me. Kickstand = great on counter top, compact = easy to pick up and move around.

Until an OLED Go 3 shows up, I'm sticking with what I got, which is an X1T3 for work, an X1Y3 for work from home and light gaming, and iPad Pro 10.5 for couch surfing, and a Galaxy Book 2 for watching media on the nice OLED . I think I'm set. Did I mention I buy too much stuff? :)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    yodamiked and dellaster like this.
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Some thoughts from the guy who just benched his Spectre x360 for the Surface Go 2:
    • The Surface Go 2 IS the Windows iPad. Size, weight and balance are great;
    • The Type Cover is far better than the iPad Smartkeyboard and every bit as good as the Magic keyboard
    • Performance - I can barely tell the difference in performance between the SG2 and x360, except for really heavy graphics projects; but I am NOT a gamer, or Internet Influencer; nor even a heavy Photoshop user, so YMMV
    • For me the convenience and form factor of the SG2 just trumps the x360
    • The iPad Pro 11 (2018) screen is better, but not so overwhelming to keep me from using the SG2 instead
    • Pen performance is about equal, with iPP11 having the advantage of the rechargeable Pencil 2
    • For productivity, it is hands down an SG2 win - but for entertainment, video, photo editing, gaming, it is an iPad world
    So I guess it is good I lead a dull and boring life which matches the SG2 to a tee...

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I have both a Pro 5 and a Go 1

I bought my Pro 5 a little late in the game, my Surface Pro 3 was starting to show its age so I traded in the Pro 3 for the $799 Pro 5 keyboard Bundle. At the time I really didn't have much of a need for a laptop and my Mobile Studio Pro and Galaxy Book 10.6 were fulfilling the art needs, but I was gearing up a 1-month Euro trip, and with my Pro 3, the versatility of the kickstand proved very handy on previous trips, so I bought the Pro 5 hoping it would be a perfect device for the trip.

Very shortly after I got the Pro 5, the Surface Go was released, and after getting a feel of it at Best Buy, I feel in love with the Go 1 and bought it. I loved my Galaxy Book but I hated the origami keyboard cover thing, and while I loved my Pro 5 and its kickstand, it was a little uneasy with its larger size (month long trip, luggage space was a challenge) , so I found reason to justify and I bought the Go 1 figuring it was the perfect compromise. What really clinched it was at the time I was very impressed with the jump in pen performance between the Pro 3 and Pro 5, it still wasn't as good as the EMR In the Galaxy Book, but it was drastically better then the Pro 3 which was abysmal to draw with.

So imagine my horror when the Go 1 was the worst pen performance in Surface History. They omitted the Pixel sense chips and the Pen performance was a disaster. Even years later and firmware updates later, its still a cruddy experience.

So the Go 1 never really panned out for my usage. I've still held onto it, and I'm constantly thinking of trading it in at Best Buy, but I have tried using it concurrently with the Pro 5 mostly to mixed results.

First I thought I could use it as a 2nd monitor to my Pro 5, using the project/connect feature of Windows 10, but that was downright dreadful to use. I really wish Microsoft would offer that feature via a wired connection, because the wireless connection was garbage.

With the pen mostly unusable, I then sought to use it for typing notes, but I found the keyboard too small for me to use comfortably. I have the Galaxy Book 10.6 and thats only a half inch larger then the Go 1, but that half inch makes a huge difference in keyboard comfort. Typing on the Galaxy Book 10.6 is more akin to typing on the Pro 5, but the Go 1 just felt too small for me. Add in the dismal performance of that Pentium gold, and the subpar screen quality, I just couldn't find much use of the Go 1.

The most use I've gotten out of the Go 1 was honestly for displaying either reference photos or playing Netflix while I draw on the Pro 5. As I got more into coding, I used it for displaying some tutorials here and there, but largely I could have done without the Go.

The Go 2 made some significant changes (especially to the pen) so I would likely get more use out of the Go 2, but my needs have shifted away from art to needing larger screens and better typing experience, so I have no interest in the Go 2 at this point. And should a Pro 8 get released in October, I could see myself very easily trading in both the Pro 5 and Go 1 for a Pro 8.

But for you're case, honestly if you've been using your iPad Pro 10.5 more then the Pro 6, I honestly don't see the Go 2 really replacing both for you. And even though the Go 2 is smaller footprint, its just as thick as the Pro 6. Its like everything you can do on your Pro 6, you can do on the Go 2, just more cramped.

Now would your job require you to forgo either the iPad Pro 10.5 or Pro 6? If its the case of them allowing you the budget to get a Go 2 in addition to your current devices, then I would say go for the Go 2.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    yodamiked and WillAdams like this.
  5. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, seeing his avatar I read it in my mind also in a Yoda voice :vbrolleyes:

, there are good variants for YouTube like MyTube. (about all major non-banking apps have at least 1 good app or PWA I think. eg for reddit there is Reddplanet)
    Considering MS is going to / has finally update(d) the touch keyboard etc I personally feel Win10 is good enough for tablet usage. I also feel gaming can be superior on Windows tablets considering I can use a pen for golden oldie rts games (and dawn of War 40k with touch etc) while with ios/android i feel they either lack those options or are hidden away by all the flappybird clones.
    Now whether it is worth it for you, I do not think so considering you already have a ipp and spro. Unless you would sell the ipp and/or spro, than maybe.

Perhaps you should try out all the needed pwa's in edge chromium and apps like mytube on the spro, and if that fits your needs and you would prefer windows over ios but want the ipad's portability get the go2 m3.

yodamiked likes this.
  6. yodamiked

yodamiked Do or do not. There is no try.

Thanks, all. I’ve appreciated your well thought out answers! The more I think about it, the more I come to the conclusion that I just want a new toy and not that I necessarily need it.

Yesterday I was caught upstairs in my office working on my firm laptop, with my iPP next to me and I had to respond to a personal email (something I avoid doing on the work laptop). The personal email required resizing multiple photos and then attaching all of them to a reply email in gmail. Something so simple was painfully slow to do in the gmail app (can only attach one pic at a time and rearranging is a pain) and I didn’t have a good app to resize the photos quickly, almost reconfirming to me that if I had a Go 2 sitting next to me it would have been easy (which my thought process was that I would have the Go with me all the time like the iPP because of its similar size).

But then I discovered last night that Safari (haven’t used it much before) supports desktop sites as default now (and works surprisingly well), and I can log into gmail through the browser and have all of the same capabilities as on my SP6. In addition, was able to locate a good way to convert word to pdf, a great pdf markup program, and even a slick image size converter. With the right apps, the Files app is also surprisingly usable, making file organization easier than before.

So with all that being said, it’s hard to justify adding another device to my belt, when Apple seems to be making the iPP more and more capable of doing most things.

I’ll probably hold off on the Go 2 for now (or put the money towards a new iPP since mine is a couple generations old and has developed the infamous white spot). It’s just a big price tag to swallow when my current iPP is still extremely zippy.

Now if the Neo ever gets released, the difference between needs and wants will matter a whole lot less...I’m throwing my money at that one.

7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

That's how you know you're on the right forum! :p

Did you see that the new iPad Air is basically an iPad Pro 11 (same squared off sides, same small bezels) but with 2 (landscape) stereo speakers instead of 4, no pro-motion (I think), USB-C charging, and with FaceID replaced by a fingerprint reader in the power botton? The last two are actually positives imo. Starting at $600, see here for a comparison between the Pro 10.5, the new Air, and the iPP 11. Unfortunately you'd have to update to the 2nd gen pencil = $$.

8. dstrauss

I wish ALL devices had fingerprint readers in the power button - face ID and retina ID SUCK in these COVID-19 times, and under glass fingerprint ID is still hit or miss (or at least it was for my few days of Galaxy Note 20 u dalliance).

dellaster and JoeS like this.
  9. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yup, most of my device purchases fall into that category. Want it, want it, want it. Don’t need it.

yodamiked and JoeS like this.
  10. dstrauss

As opposed to Want It, Want It, Got It, now how do I Get Rid of It?

dellaster likes this.