Owners - Comment on your SmartPC Keyboard Dock...

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Pioneer, Nov 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pioneer

Pioneer Scribbler - Standard Member

Love to hear some commenta, pics or videos related to the SmartPC keyboard dock.
    It's just not available in Canada at all yet.

Wondering when the tablet is docked and your using it on your lap how does the package balance?

Does the weight of the screen tend cause it to fall back?

Does base sit flat on your lap with the weight distributed or does the screen attachment point extend down?

What is the touchpad like?

Any info would be great...

2. Pioneer

Pioneer Scribbler - Standard Member

Anyone have the keyboard dock?

3. Osiris

Osiris Scribbler - Standard Member

I feel it balances pretty well but like all these tablets you are limited to extending the screen back so whilst it gives a great angle for typing on a desk at certain positions on the couch I have to tilt it up to view the screen properly.

Nope weight is really well done, between the hinge and the screen it does a great job, even on the couch using the angle I mentioned above it hasn't tipped back yet.

I wasnt a fan of the touchpad *at first* but I got use to it, disabling the multitouch gestures seemed to help a lot.

Anyway a quite detailed review, pics and video of the dock itself
    Samsung ATIV SmartPC 500T Keyboard Dock Review | UMPCPortal – Portable, Mobile and Handheld Computers
    I discuss the dock and have a couple of pics on my review How I Learned To Love the Atom. Samsung Smart PC XE500T Review | UMPCPortal – Portable, Mobile and Handheld Computers

4. kontrol1

kontrol1 Scribbler - Standard Member

I was looking for the same info too. Good to know it doesn't tip back.

How about disconnect happening between the dock and the tablet. I read somewhere that the dock disconnects (signal between dock and tablet) from tablet even with a minor movement like in the case when using it on the lap. Apparently you can here 3 small beeps when it happens. Have you experienced that?

Great review btw!
    Thanks!

5. ggoldfingerd

ggoldfingerd Pen Pal - Newbie

I just started to use the tablet and the keyboard. So my comment is only based on about two days of usage. There is definitely an issue with the latching mechanism which may or may not resolve itself with time. When the tablet is docked correctly, the connect seems solid and there are no disconnects when moving the hinge or moving/shaking the tablet/keyboard. To be docked correctly, at least for my specific device, both latches must be snapped in, and the Windows button on the tablet must either be centered with respect the the notch on the hinge. The Windows button also works when being off centered to the right side of the notch. If the Windows button is the the left side of the notch, I will get disconnects when moving the tablet around. It's very touchy. As I said at the beginning, this may resolve itself with use. Right now, the tablet fits pretty tight into the latching mechanism. The disconnects can definitely be an issue if you're using the keyboards USB ports for data transfer.

I can definitely post updates after I get some use with the keyboard. IDK actually how much I will use the keyboard though. I'm way more interested in using the S Pen. That is the may reason for my upgrade from the Motorola Xoom.

Hopefully more keyboard users can share there experiences here.

6. panicbear

panicbear Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been using the keyboard dock with my 700t.

Though it is limited in how far it will let you tip the screen back, I find the angle adequate. I like the way it sits on a desk or table, it feels steady.

The keyboard is lighter than the tablet, but I feel like because of the way it's constructed, the lip of the tablet extends beneath the keyboard in such a way that the weight of the tablet is holding itself up. Even when it's on my lap, in most positions I don't worry about it tipping over when I let go of it.

That said, poking the touchscreen while it's docked could tip it over if you're not careful.

Fortunately so far I haven't had any issues with the connector. I wonder if people are putting the tablet in the dock without pressing the button? It feels like it will connect even if you don't press the button, but it wouldn't be seated completely in the dock-- to fit them together properly, I think the button really needs to be pressed when the tablet goes into the dock and when it comes out.

Typing on it feels like a typical chiclet-style keyboard experience to me. The keys don't have a ton of travel but they feel clicky and nice under my fingers.

The touchpad... for context, I have two other computers around right now. A Macbook Pro with a fantastic huge touchpad, and a Lenovo x201t with a tiny, jerky touchpad I hate to use. The Ativ touchpad is much better than the Lenovo one, but not really on par with the Macbook Pro.

The Ativ touchpad is usually okay, but now and then it feels less responsive for a second or two and then goes back to normal. It's a tiny bit frustrating largely because the touchscreen feels SO responsive and accurate, it's nicer to use. It's awkward to use the touchscreen with the keyboard, but I find myself trying now and then just because it's so nice and the touchpad, while it's fine, isn't as perfect as the touchscreen.

I wish the keyboard had an extra battery and/or extra memory on it, and I wish the touchpad felt as perfect as the touchscreen. Otherwise, I think it's great.

7. Osiris

Osiris Scribbler - Standard Member

Testing the 700t now I have noticed that I am more cautious of the tablet falling over, only around 100g difference between the two I believe but it is more noticable with this dock that it is with the 500t which felt really well balanced,

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I just sent my 500T back to the Microsoft Store. I routinely had the disconnect problem - random and unaffected by how I docked. Plus, it felt to me like it would tip over when using in my lap. Much steadier on a desktop or tray table. Plus, it REALLY needs a battery, SDXC slot (could bring total system storage to 256GB with the micro-SD loaded as well), and HDMI in the dock. It is squirrely to have to hook the monitor up to the tablet and USB to dock; then still have to disconnect HDMI cable before unlatching and carrying the tablet to a meeting.

9. heliattack

heliattack Pen Pal - Newbie

RUSS: love this whole combination, Only complaint is sometimes the keyboard dock does not sit right and losses partial connection. Seems to be no issue when carefully docked.

10. sajata

sajata Pen Pal - Newbie

i just got my XE700 with keyboard but for the life of me i cant figure out how to dock it. it sounds stupid i know but when i try and doc it it will not mate. when i flip it over the two little doors that are used to engage the hooks will not open if pressed. Am i missing something there?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.