overriding power saving

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by whazzup, Jul 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrono144

chrono144 Pen Pal - Newbie

is there any way to temporary over ride the power saving mode while unplugged?
    because I'd like to be able to play videogames on the bus, and you can't at half speed and there aren't any outlets on the busses i ride :p
    but if I can run at full processor power while unplugged it would be great, I just haven't found a way to.

2. ScubaX

ScubaX Level 90 Mage Senior Member

Tablet =_________
    OS =________

Fill in the blanks.

If Vista, double click the battery icon in the lower right corner and select High Performance, then click on more power options. Under High Performance select Change Plan Settings. Then select Change advanced power settings. Look for Processor power Management and open that to select minimum processor state. Change that to 100% for battery. Now you should get 5 or 10 of play time before your battery goes dead.

If XP, right click on desktop, select properties and go to screen saver tab. Select power options. After that I don't remember.

3. chrono144

chrono144 Pen Pal - Newbie

tablet = tx2500
    OS = Vista 32 bit, XP 32 bit, Linux amd64
    I'm not too worried about linux, but I want to make sure that the tablet CAN override the power save.
    And I already know about the battery life while fully clocked, before the last BIOS update I could only run at full speed (2.3 GHz) in linux, and it would last about an hour and fifteen minutes. But I'd only do this when I don't care about power conservation.
    Mostly I would like help with XP though. Vista's power options seem more complete, although when I run amd power monitor i never see it go above half speed (on vista or XP)
    I ask this because the Power Manegement in XP seems pretty rudimentary and not very customizable. I can set it to "Always On" which is the only one that lets it get to full speed while plugged in, but once its unplugged it gets capped at half, and there seems to be no way (that I can see) to make it run at full power while unplugged (in XP at least, and I haven't been able to do it in Vista either, although I haven't put as much time into it [yes I did edit the power options and set max processor in vista to 100% while unplugged, but it just doesnt seem to get there])
    thanks for the help!

4. chihping

chihping Pen Pal - Newbie

I am having the exact same problem. I sent it back to HP, just got it back with F.06 loaded and still no good. They replaced the motherboard too. So I am not sure it is capable of running at full speed unplugged? It is very frustrating as I did not pay for a crippled laptop and 1.2ghz is not enough most of the time. I am just wanting it to be able to scale from 600mhz to 2.4mhz as needed on balance mode. I guess I'll just have to keep sending it to repair until they somehow resolve the situation or refund me?

5. gordoncahill

gordoncahill Scribbler - Standard Member

TX series is BIOS limited to 1.6Ghz on battery power. No way around it. But you should be able to run most games by selecting "high power mode" in the power options (click on the battery icon in the taskbar).

Also it helps to create a custom power profile that doesn't let the CPU power drop below 60% when playing games. Factory will allow them to drop to 5% which causes games and progs to stall while the processor ramps up and down.

Gordon

6. chihping

chihping Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, it does clock up for me sometimes, so I'm not sure what is going on.
    And HP support agreed with me that the cpu should ramp up even with battery. :confused: then again...its HP support.

7. gordoncahill

gordoncahill Scribbler - Standard Member

You should set up a custom power profile in the power options in Vista. By default all the standard power settings are lower on battery than ac power. But it's easy to override these. Except for the BIOS set CPU limit you should be able to run at full power by simply clicking on the battery icon and selecting the power setting you want. Any custom profiles you create will show up here as well.

Gordon

8. Adrian890

Adrian890 Pen Pal - Newbie

Is this true or not? Seems weird for a company to limit the customer to certain speed and not let the user pick the power setting of the CPU! - as mentioned above by Gordon!
    Is this the same case for the tx2 (which I plan to purchase in January when it's released in the UK) or are users just not getting the power management settings?
    Thnx

9. jw12345

jw12345 Pen Pal - Newbie

I hate to bump an old thread, but my brand new tx2z is also limited to half speed on battery even in high performance mode.

Has anybody tried to get HP to fix this? I would just return the machine, but it is a replacement that HP gave me for an older tx2500z that kept screwing up.

10. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

yes, i found a way to bypass the bios limit, and push the laptop back to ALMOST full speed while on battery. This is done using K10stat.

Read here:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=27025

*do note tat tis is only for the cpu, i'm nt sure whether u can manually push the gpu speed while on battery, will need others to comment....

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.