Overheating T4215

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by bevhoward, Jun 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rayguntheater

rayguntheater Pen Pal - Newbie

After a year and a half, my T4215 has been having a couple problems. First, the bottom left side (by the fan) gets super hot, unbearable to put on my legs. Second, the battery lifespan is getting super short. And last, sometimes when the computer gets super hot the fan starts clicking. Unfortunately my warranty is up, so I can't really just send it off to them and have them fix it. I am wondering if any of you guys know what the best way to fix this would be?

Thanks in advance.

2. Rieuk

Rieuk Scribbler - Standard Member

Download Notebook Hardware Control and check your battery wear. When your laptop overheats, it is damaging your battery. Always check the CPU usage when it's hot and kill CPU hog processes.

Also, keep the vent clear at all times. If you really want, open it up and clean the dust off each of the fan blades and the air duct.

3. bevhoward

bevhoward Pen Pal - Newbie

Vents, plural... the opening on the left side is the exhaust, but, on the bottom, there are two inlets... one of which your left leg is probably blocking.

Suggest starting by using a vacuum to suck all three openings, then the keyboard, and finish off by switching the vac to blow into each opening, then back to vac one final time to get what was dislodged.

On a perfectly flat surface, the tiny legs at each corner provide an air path and the docking station increases this... if I were using in on lap or in a travel bag, I would probably look for some type of grid to place it on to provide an alternate air path when it was placed on something soft.

One other thought... is the fan working? The possibility that it has failed could be responsible for the sudden temp increase.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

4. rayguntheater

I've never really opened a laptop before, but I took out a good number of screws, and I still had no idea how to get to the fan. Are there diagrams that show how to do it?

Btw, thanks both of you for your responses. You guys are super helpful.

5. rayguntheater

Bump

Anyone know where I can find diagrams on how to disassemble my T4215 and clean out the fan?

6. bevhoward

Assume you know that opening the case is a pretty radical move which has a high probability of leaving you with an expensive brick and no one to blame other than yourself... not that I can talk as I have destroyed more than my allotment of expensive equipment doing the same.

Some thoughts and questions;

reading between the lines, I would expect that it needs more than simply fan cleaning... there's a huge number of factors at play. In addition to the mechanical issues, have you looked at the task manager and drive to see if something is hammering the cpu and hard drive when you assume nothing is running?

What have you done so far? vac/airgun?

Can you hear the fan operating when the unit heats up?

Can you feel hot air coming out of the side vent?

>> year and a half <<

Assume you mean that it's out of warranty... but, it still might be worth asking fuji what they would charge to deal with the problem.

That said, if you are bent on cracking the case, unless you can google someone who has already done it and posted pics, it's pretty much a "do it yourself" venture...

try to find someone with a _lot_ of notebook disassembly experience even if you have to pay him/her to help... it's best if they sit on their hands and guide you ;-)

document each step with a digital camera and _good_ notes

back up, shut down

remove covers, cdrom, battery, hard drive, open covers...

unless the memory is a problem, I'd leave it

at this point you are on your own... move slowly and DON'T FORCE ANYTHING! if things don't separate easily, there is probably a missed or hidden screw.

I would try to leave the screen closed and attached for the need you have, but, that may not be possible.

7. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

See this thread for partial disassembly. I'll put up guides for further disassembly once my warranty runs out ;) In the meantime, just remove all screws on the bottom, remove the screen, remove the heat shield and you should be able to see the CPU+HSF assembly.

Most importantly, if you know how to (and if you're going to disassemble it this far you might as well learn how to), change the thermal compound between the heatsink and CPU. Use a good brand like Arctic Silver, Frank reports good results with his T2010 so it might do something for your T4215 as well.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. bevhoward

Thanks!... assuming this will be valuable for me sometime in the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.