Overclocking the Slate 500.

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by Bronsky, Dec 27, 2010.

1. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Undervolting does not reduce the processor speed unless you elect to also include throttling. It will only throttle when the processor is idle so there is not much negative to it.

I run RMClock on my TC1100 and LS800, both with Win 7, without much issue. They both have the old Pentium M Centrino processors, however, and there may be a lot more wiggle room to the voltage specifications than the Atom.

2. swanlee

swanlee Scribbler - Standard Member

does rmclock have to be running as a service or startup for the undervolting to take effect or does it make some bios change that is permanent? I hate having to run startup apps that take memory and cpu cycles.

3. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Hi swanlee,

RMClock, or utilities similar to it, has to be running in the background (via startup) for undervolting to take effect.

4. swanlee

swanlee Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanx, how much ram and cpu does it take up when running?

5. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Have you ever calculated the battery life improvement? I have been bummed that you can't apparently undervolt Core i cpus, but I am getting an HP 2730 with a C2D, so I am psyched to undervolt. :D

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Has anyone actually run RMclock on a slate yet? What version? Should be a good undervolting tool. The program had a lot of potential ... is anyone updating it?

Bronsky:cool:

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I read several forums elsewhere that claim undervolting does very little for an Atom processor as it is already sipping juice - it's the graphics card/broadcom and wireless that are damaging.

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

The IGPU seems to be the limiting factor on OC'ing as well. I can push the clocks on the Atom to 2.5ghz but the graphics starts to get glitchy above 2.25ghz. I get a line across my screen when I push the speeds up.

I like the unit running at 2.25ghz. It feels slightly faster than the 1.86ghz stock speed (it is an atom after all:rolleyes:). I normally keep the slate in sleep mode and setfsb keeps the speed at 2.25 as soon as the unit wakes up.

When I get some time, I'll run a battery test with the OC on and off to see what the difference is.

Bronsky:cool:

9. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

If that is the case, set the power controls to dim the display in about a minute of non-use. That should help out with the battery life; it dims to about 30% and when you get the pen near it, or in the Slate 500 instance, touch the screen, it comes back on to full brightness.

That is what I do on my LS800 to not just save the battery life but to cut some of the heat as well. The LS800 is a fanless Centrino which likes to overheat and shut itself down if you are not careful. The screen dimming (and the undervolting is most effective on this model) cuts the heat issue significantly. I have it set to dim the display after 1 minute and blank it out after 3.

10. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

There's a lot of tweaking that can be done on the way the system looks and behaves. And that could help battery life a lot. The screen consumes lots of power, so the dimming is a great idea. Lowering the Brightness levels to values below 50% (I use 25%) can help a lot too, but that depends on peoples' toleration levels. It also depends on the environment where the device is used (indoors vs outdoors). Bluetooth and WiFi also consume lots of power. So turn them off when not in use.