Overclocking the Slate 500.

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by Bronsky, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Abo-San usually provides you with a key in a day or two from your donation. Let us know how well your unit OC's. I think you'll be pleased with the improved performance.

2. jb82

jb82 Scribbler - Standard Member

The highest I could go was 2.1GHz and this seems stable and the heat is reasonable under normal loads. Any higher I got the blue screen of death.

I didn't take screenshots but here are my windows experience scores and wprime scores at stock and then at 2.1GHz

Processor: 2.7 3.0
    Memory: 4.4 4.5
    Graphics 4.4 4.7
    Gaming graphics: 2.4 3.5
    Primary hard disk: 5.9 5.9

wprime 124.2s 103.2s A 17% boost...not bad!

The gaming graphics boost is interesting. I ran it a few times to make sure it wasn't a fluke and it wasn't. Interesting as well that my SSD is showing 5.9 when the earlier units had 5.1... maybe HP upgraded them from the first batch of slates.

I can definitely feel the difference. For instance in pdf annotator the pages scroll smoother and the pinch to zoom also. There is a slight boost in program load times but not much to make a noticeable difference to me.

Definitely worth trying out and it was really quite simple to do with the excellent instructions here. Thanks especially to Bronsky and then everyone else who chipped in. Highly recommended for any slate owners.

Now I just have to try getting it to load upon startup and wake - again excellent instructions floating around in this forum.

3. Bronsky

Glad you got it working. IMO, the ability to overclock makes the Slate 500 the best of the fanless slates so far. I still can't get setfsb working in W8. Anybody?

4. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Among all slates, the EP121 is my favorite. Not only the EP121 is more reliable, but it can be made faster by disabling its CPU throttling. In my opinion, the screen-lift problem on the S7S makes it an investment a bit to risky.

In the 10-inch fanless class, the Slate 500 indeed reigns supreme. The availability of keyboard-folios + the ability to get 20% more juice from it through overclocking + the low price for used units (right now there's one going for $320 on Amazon) makes it an unbeatable deal in its class. To me, much better than any $400 multimedia tablet! :cool:

5. jb82

The Ep121 is obviously in a different class being twice as big, twice as expensive and wielding a wacom digitizer. I didn't even look at it as I only wanted to spend no more than $500. I would have bought one anyway if they originally released it with a keyboard dock like they teased for so long before moving it to the android transformer. Still win 8 will bring plenty of these kinds of devices and I'll enjoy my hp slate until they are released and the prices of these drop in 2013.

Got the automatic loading of setfsb working easily on startup and wake - thanks to everyone again.

I'll have a go at getting it to work on win 8 when i get round to loading win 8.

6. jb82

Okay I got SetFSB to work in Win8. The problem is that the license and program you use for win 7 will not work. You need to download a second one and obtain a second license key. I ran it under compatibility mode as win 7 and it loads and works great.

The good news is that Abo sent me a second license key for no charge after asking him nicely. That was really nice of him and he may very well do it for you too.

The OC helps with games to give them a little extra speed. I haven't tested it beyond that but everything feels faster.

7. Bronsky

I sent an email to Abo-San with my proof of donation and he was kind enough to give me the new license key. Odd that you need a different key for W8. Anyway, I will be installing the new version of W8 in a dual boot mode this weekend and will test out the new key. Hopefully, the new W8 is smoother. Without the N-Trig panel, it is useless anyway, as you can't put the slate into auto mode. Until N-Trig gives us an update (if they ever do) W7 will remain the primary OS on my slate.

8. Bronsky

I have the new key. Which version of SetFSB are you using?

9. jb82

Just the latest version 2.3.173.133

10. Bronsky

Well, I finally got it working. I couldn't get it working with Abo-San's new key but I finally tried my old key and it worked. I had it running smooth at 2.25 ghz. The GPU seems to smooth out more while OC'd than at stock clocks. It's nice to have the extra speed in W8. If only N-Trig would get us a full set of updated drivers and control panel, I can use W8 more often.