Overclocking the Slate 500.

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by Bronsky, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

After spending some time benchmarking the slate, I decided that I would like to see if there was a way to get some more power out of the CPU. My research indicated that the Z540 had been OC'd before in the Sony Vaio P, another fanless application with the Z540 core. The Z540 seemed to run in the Vaio P with no serious side-effects.

I ran a bunch of baseline benchmarks, primarily to see what the temperature range of the Z540 was at stock clocks. The normal operating temps were in the 54-62C range. However, temps spiked to 77C (WPrime) and 81C (3Dmark06) while running particularly demanding programs. The max temp of the Z540 was 90C in a BGA mount. I expected to see throttling at 87C+ which I never even got closeo.

Given that, I downloaded the shareware version of SetFSB and made my 500 yen (about $5) donation to get a shareware key. The December 17th revision of the SetFSB program identfied the ExoPC tablet as OC'able. I provided the program's creator, Abo-san with a PLL diagnostics screen
    [​IMG]
    and a CPUz.txt download from the slate. He suggested that I use the IS9UMS9610BL clockgen. It worked quite well.

Let me first say that I do not usually recommend OC'ing for most users as it requres a significant amount of attention to a device's temps to make sure that they stay in an acceptable operating range. This is doubly true with a fanless design like the slate. Nevertheless, I wanted to see if there was an optimal OC range that did not significantly increase operating temps over that experienced at stock clocks.

After quite a bit of experimentation I have settled on an optimal OC of 2.25ghz which still provides an operating range in the 56-62C range. I have had the CPU as high as a stable 2.4ghz and could probably push it to 2.5ghz but the temps significantly increase over 2.25ghz, nudging the operating range into the 61-67 range, with occasional spikes over 70C. At 2.4, temps stay in the high 60s and spend more time routinely above 70C. That is why I have settled on an optimal OC of 2.25ghz.

[​IMG]

At 2.25ghz, the WPrime 32 scores come down significantly. Dropping from 128.702 secs at stock clocks to 106.533 at the 2.25ghz OC.

Stock and interim step.

[​IMG]

2.25ghz.

[​IMG]

This OC has worked out so well that Abo-san now lists the HP Slate 500 on his December 26th revision.

Bronsky:cool:

2. n0tdan

n0tdan Scribbler - Standard Member

Oh the suspense! XD

3. TopTongueBarry

TopTongueBarry IT Professional

Bronsky, U Da Man!

Wish my Slate was here, I'd OC it too! Heck, I'd be happy if it was just on its way to me.

I have some OC'ing experience and look forward to doing this one up!

4. dgoodisi

dgoodisi Scribbler - Standard Member

What did this do to the battery life?

Hopefully the hit is not to bad.

5. Bronsky

I'll be checking it when I have some more time (looks like I'll be digging snow for a day or so:mad: ) but the prospect of undervolting is a possibility as well to maximize battery power for applications that require less power.

6. Telstar

Telstar Research Scientist

Excellent. Your benchmarks are also useful. I find myself disappointed and astonished at the very low SSD scores...I have USB keys that operate at that rate!

7. Bronsky

I had to run the SSD benchmarks a number of times before I accepted that there was not some software issue that I was missing. I would guess that there will eventually be some firmware update to help speed this dive up. These speeds seem slow to me.

Bronsky:cool:

8. thadwald

thadwald Scribbler - Standard Member

SSD scores are low because the US15W chipset does not have a SATA interface. This is one area where the newer, Z6xx atoms should be significantly faster.

9. swanlee

swanlee Scribbler - Standard Member

I'd be interesting in the under volting, I have an exopc and would like to try that out to see how it increases battery life. I thought though undervolting did not actually decreases the mhz?

10. Malberttoo

Malberttoo Pen Pal - Newbie

Bronksy, what have you noticed (if anything) performance-wise in the Slate since overclocking?