Outdoor vs Indoor display

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by DragonFly, Jul 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DragonFly

DragonFly Pen Pal - Newbie

Heya all! I'm considering purchasing the Fujitsu T4210. I'll be going off to college in the fall.

I want to know what the differences are between the outdoor/indoor and indoor display options. I will probably be using the laptop 70% indoors, and 30% outdoors.

I have read that the outdoor displays are more grainy and have less indoor quality than their indoor only screen counterparts. Is this true? What else should I keep in mind?

Thanks for your assistance! :)

EDIT:

To add on to this question, what does the port replicator do? Do I need it? Does it allow for a great external display resolution? I have a monitor capable of displaying 1920x1200, and I was a little dismayed at the max external res of 1600x1200...

EDIT #2:

Also, is the TabletReviewSpot review of this tablet coming out today?

2. PYROTAK

PYROTAK Scribbler - Standard Member

yeah the max res of 1600x1200 is bull****. Most large screens these days come in minimum 1680x1050. I certainly hope it can do that....anyone have any idea?

3. rob1116

rob1116 Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm hardly an expert on such things, but what I can tell you is that I too was concerned about the quality of the indoor/outdoor option (specifically, on the T4210) after reading similar comments about them being poor indoors... but I have seen the T4210 with indoor/outdoor display. I didn't get to compare it directly to an indoor only model (the store didn't have one), but I can say that the brightness and clarity of the screen was just fine, IMO. The only thing that I would likely attribute to the indoor/outdoor factor is a fine texture within the surface of the screen, which was only really apparent if you were a) looking for it, and b) focusing directly on it. This also meant that the screen was very non-reflective, which I appreciate.

Before seeing it, I was dead set against getting an indoor/outdoor, mainly because I know I probably won't ever need to use it outside, and I didn't want to pay an extra $150USD for a screen that was lousy inside... but now, I might end up getting it just in case I WANT to use outside for some reason.

IMO, if you are going to use it outside on a quasi-regular basis (30% is quite a lot), you should go for it and not worry... it will look fine both indoor and outdoor, and the indoor model is going to be pretty much useless outside.

4. PYROTAK

if and when i get one of these bad boys I am dead set on getting this indoor outdoor screen...unless of course the only SXGA+ option is indooor....which is probably wishful thinking...

5. Loaf.

Loaf. Scribbler - Standard Member

i think the outdoor displays only difference is that there is some sort of filter on the surface of the screen...if this is the case, u could get an indoor screen and just got some protective screen protectors that have this filter. i'm sure 3m or some company would have this type of filter protector available.

6. PYROTAK

ahh so the real question is if you get said indoor/outdoor screen and then add ANOTHER filter, is it super glare filtered?

7. butanamine

butanamine Pen Pal - Newbie

I think the max screen res displayed is for a set refresh rate. I don't know too well, but I'm guessing above 1600x1200 you'll notice the flicker of the low refresh rate, but it'll actually be possible to set the higher res. The port replicator wouldn't allow for higher res because it's the video card itself that limits the max output res.

Having said that, I think in dual monitor mode, you have to use the same res on both the tablet and the external monitor - is that correct?

8. rob1116

rob1116 Scribbler - Standard Member

Sadly, this is not the case. The outdoor capabilities are provided by something more substantial than a stick-on filter... I would guess it is something in the design/composition of the actual acrylic surface. Notebook manufacturers are indeed crooked, but not crooked enough to charge $150 for a stick-on filter equivalent, hehe.

9. DragonFly

DragonFly Pen Pal - Newbie

Heyo! Thanks for all the comments! I think I will go for the indoor/outdoor display.

About the external resolution, I do know that theoretically my graphics card shouldn't be able to display my 1920x1200 resolution though DVI due to single-link bandwidth issues (you need to use duallink dvi for higher digital resolutions). But it does by some embedded driver tricks.

The Fujitsu is through VGA though, and I know VGA can handle much higher resolutions, and the intel GMA 950 graphics processor is capable of such resolutions. What is holding the resolution back, then? I'd be fine with a lower refresh rate, even something like 30 - I definitely won't be gaming with my tablet ;).

And to answer the dual display question - I'm guessing the Fujitsu only allows dual display clone if the resolutions are to be the same. This fact also seems very weird, considering the capabilities of the Intel GMA 950 integrated GPU...

10. caeci11ius

caeci11ius Moderator Moderator

In regards to the dual display issue, I have issues about this as I may get a 23" LCD to go with my new Tablet when I buy it in a week or two...with 1920*1200 res as seems to be standard on a screen this size. I believe the item on Fujitsu's site must be wrong, because the Apple MacBooks, which have the same graphics hardware are capable of displaying up to 1920*1200, despite their higher local screen resolution (1280*800) and underclocked GPU (it runs at 250MHz in a Macbook instead of 400MHz which is the standard/max clock rate). I did a little research however, and discovered that they will only display this resolution at 16bit colour and 60Hz...which should be fine on a panel, as they are usually less capable in the colour department anyway and have no issues with flicker...with the lower native resolution on the T4210's panel, you might be able to get a little better than this too...you can see specs of the MacBook's GMA950 at Apple's developer website...seems to be one of the only comprehensive documents available re: the GMA950 hardware's capabilities. There's probably something on Intel's site too, but I struggled to find it...

Of course, don't believe me over the specs sheet if this is a matter of life and death to you...until some kind soul who actually has the machine actually checks it out, we will never know!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.