Out of warrenty and 'bang'

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by alan sh, Feb 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alan sh

alan sh Scribbler - Standard Member

I never switch off my tx2500ea - just put it in standby.

So, the other day, opened the lid and - nothing. Just flashing lights.

To cut a long story short, it turns out the bottom memory slot had gone dead. I had 2 x 2gb memory. If I go down to 1 x 2gb memory in the top slot it works, but I am then limited to the memory....

Of course, the warrenty expired last November. Phoned HP, but they didn't want to know.

Phoned Which Legal (in the UK) and I may have a case. BUT.... I work for HP and I don't really feel comfortable suing them.

Now what?

2. 970261

970261 Scribbler - Standard Member

And if another memory stick doesn't solve it........then ur going to have to find a way to fix the memory slot. (either thru HP or another service.)

3. alan sh

It already has a 2gb SODIMM in one slot. I think that's the maximum. Anyone know differently (can I put a 4gb card in the slot?)

Alan

4. brokenlax

brokenlax Pen Pal - Newbie

Ram is $30.

5. alan sh

Yes, but I already have 2gb in one slot. So, can I buy a 4gb SODIMM and use that?

6. alan sh

To answer my own question, yes a 4gb SODIMM will work in one slot. You lose a bit of speed, but I can live with that

Alan

7. Tiezep

Tiezep technology enthusiast

how can your ram slot die and the have the second one work?

it is plausible but I don't think that's the case in this particular computer. if one slot dimm would die (especially the bottom one) both would more than likely die.

I'm thinking you have a bad dimm. if you work at hp I'm sure you can snag a dimm somewhere (even if you're just barrowing it)

if you really want to sue (and I'm no legal expert) then get a job at dell or somewhere else first, then sue hp.

it's also good to note that if it's just your dimm slot then you probably don't have a case, your laptop still works and this doesn't provide proof of a kill switch. if your chipset burned itself out of working order (like many other tx users) then you still don't have a case.

your warranty is up buddy, it's your problem now. case closed.

sorry, but I am just keeping it real,
    -Tyler

8. alan sh

A bit blunt in places (I assume you are American) but I see what you mean. :)

However you are wrong in one way - the bottom slot IS dead. I have several 2gb simms and tried all the combinations.

Alan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.