Our new CX210's

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Marine540, Oct 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Bopper

Big Bopper Pen Pal - Newbie

Figured I'd start a thread for the 6 or so of us that recently got our new CX210's.

Well, I had my first "issue" today, and I also have a question unrelated to it.

Issue: I installed Adaware and Spybot, removed all the crap that Gateway fills their computers with. Well after installing Spybot, my computer stopped reading my pen. No pointer, no nothing. I got on the phone with Gateway, and after 20 minutes of being on hold (and sadly watching the Illini lose in the first round of the tournament) my pen suddenly started working. I hung up without talking to anyone figuring it was ok...10 minutes later I bring the computer downstairs to show my dad and the pen stops working again. I shake it a bit, knock it against my leg, works fine. So yeah, looks like I got a sometimes-finicky pen. Never stopped working while I was using it though, only when I put it down or knocked it on something.

Question: Any recommendations what kinds of backgrounds I can get for my laptop that look better when the screen is rotated? Right now everything squishes big time when I go into portrait. Or can I set a background per orientation?

2. Big Bopper

Big Bopper Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh I almost forgot...I LOVE the friction and the weight of the pen. Feels like a real pen I would use, and it feels like I'm writing on paper. So awesome.

Everything else has run smoothly too, no complaints other than the pen issue. I also LOVE how if you write something in OneNote, Vista's search can pick up on it...like it searches your handwritten notes too, sooooooo cool.

3. SineFato

SineFato Pen Pal - Newbie

I haven't had any issues with the pen except calibrating it right. so far ive calibrated it once in all rotations and it works fine for me. Not perfect but still good.

Only problem i have had was with OneNote. everyonce in a while this wierd box will show up as a cursor. I've tried taking a picture of it but when you screenshot the curser disapears so it didn't show up. It onlt seems to happen when its in orientations other then the primary landscape (the way it is when in laptop mode)

Also which do you guys prefer? One Note or Windows Journal?

Also is there a way to change the buttone clicking (wher you tap the pen while holding down the button) from right clicking to double clicking?

4. JDragon

JDragon Pen Pal - Newbie

ok this is going to be my first post writing on my tablet.

This is going to take some practice.

Time to get on the plane, catch you all later.

BTW where is the handwriting practice?

5. mstonebu

mstonebu Pen Pal - Newbie

BigBopper, I have the exact same problem, . Started working and stopped working. Jiggle the pen, starts working, then stopped, until finally it has completely stopped working. Mine actually did not work out of the box, then it started for about 10 minutes, then stopped, then started and stopped for about an hour until it completely stopped.

Gateway is sending me a new pen to try after having me do the following:

1)Trying to have me upgrade the driver to the same version I already had.
    2)Having me to a "soft hardware reset"
    3)Mistakenly sending me to Microsoft for a hot fix for pen issues. Told them I had Vista. Wehn I got to Microsoft, they said the hotfix was only for XP and to call Gateway back.
    4)Having me delete the driver, restart vista and let the computer automatically reinstall the driver.

They said if the new pen didn't work, they'd have me reinstall all software and drivers from scratch. If that didn't work, send it back in cause it might be the screen itself.

Ask me, I dont think they have the drivers sorted out right....Just guessing

Let the fun begin.

6. mstonebu

But not to be all negative, I am very happy with it. And liked it even more when the pen was working.

7. mstonebu

Holy cow, thought what the heck, pen hasnt worked since 5pm last night, but ill pull it out and try banging it on my leg again, and it just started working again! Really starting to look like a bad pen. Anyone know how these things work inside?

8. smittydc

smittydc Pen Pal - Newbie

JDragon - click on the little pentool window that pops out of the left side of the window, then click on "tools". It's under there. Enjoy!

9. mstonebu

SineFato - I really like your idea of using the pen button for double clicking instead of right clicking. Just spent about 30 minutes scouring the internet and couldn't find anything. Sure would be nice.

10. SineFato

SineFato Pen Pal - Newbie

wtf my aero theme just disapeared and I can't find that little color chooser thing. Gah I'm so mad right now

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.