OS's Tablet Capabilities Poll

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by 970261, Jun 8, 2010.

?

Which OS for tablet experience have you found enjoyable? And if possible, post why.

1. XP Tablet! With SP's!

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  2. Vista! It's "mature" enough now

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  3. Windows 7. Microsoft did something right this time.

32 vote(s)
    88.9%
  4. Ubuntu. Why Microsoft? (If possible, list the program installed)

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 970261

970261 Scribbler - Standard Member

Hello all, wanted to know how everyone feels about their tablet experiences on the various OS. Battery life and security aside.

2. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

They all work just fine, but for my tablet I've been forced to keep Windows 7 for Visual Studio.

Personally I like Windows 7 the best, but Ubuntu will always be a close second for me just because of my Linux preference.

3. 970261

Yea, I'm actually trying ubuntu 10.04 right now w/ the 2730p and it's going pretty swell...unlike Jaunty that gave me headaches (lucid lynx actually supports the stylus from the start!)

btw, do u know of any good handwriting software for ubuntu?

4. Tiezep

Tiezep technology enthusiast

I'm finding win 7 has a perfect balance of everything (that is for newer hardware)

for more dated machines, however, I choose ubuntu netbook edition with the normal window manager

diversity makes everything great,
    -Tyler

5. pmatulew

pmatulew Scribbler - Standard Member

Handwriting recognition with Win7 is soo much better.

How well does the 2730p (newer hardware) play with Ubuntu?

I've tried many different distros on my M200 (I'm liking Mint a lot) and they all recognize the stylus fine, but have major issues with rotation, sleep, hibernation, and alternate monitors. I've done quite a bit of research, but haven't yet invested the time to grind my way through making it work. I just get frustrated and go back to Windows.

Is Ubuntu/Linux more plug-and-play with the newer machine?

6. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

I just voted too....Win 7.

Vista wouldn't run on my Fujitsu P1620 (well, the lag was so anoying and the HD space taken up made it useless). Win 7 is much lighter and faster....like XP with all the benefits of the newer interface.

Win 7 is running my Motion Ls800 very well.

Win 7 is running well on my 2730P also.

Vista is still on my TC1100 at this point but surprisingly it runs very well on that so there is no need to change.

7. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I remember being exited about Vista, or maybe i should say the promise of Vista, bc so much of what we were promised never made it to market in that vehicle.

XP worked, (and worked well) but was beginning to look dated, and who doesn't like a bit of eye candy?

Windows 7 feels like what Vista should have been, and i've been very happy with, i proselytize about it to everyone I meet and it's good that it plays nice with older hardware.

I'm way to old & set in my ways (read STUBBORN) to go tinker w/ Ubuntu...

8. Spike15

Spike15 Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow someone actually voted for XP...

9. 970261

it's understandable though, it DOES feel more responsive than the other OS's, except maybe Ubuntu.

10. purplepeopledesign

purplepeopledesign Scribbler - Standard Member

No vote here. I have Vista tablet but it's the first one I've ever had. After turning off Aero and a bunch of other bloat, it mostly runs fine and since it's old enough, drivers were available for the printer. Still, the OS needs almost 800MB just to boot up, which I have to say seems pretty obese. I just couldn't justify extra money for Windows 7 when I'm looking at a refurb tablet and the techies at the shop weren't quite skilled enough to get XP fully installed on it.

:)ensen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.