OS on X61T

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by Loidster, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Loidster

Loidster Pen Pal - Newbie

I am confused about the OS on my recently purchased X61T, with Ultrabase from CDW. It came with Tablet XP 2005 installed as listed and the OS was already installed. Plug in, turn on and go. No promps to back up the OS.

In the box was three DVD media recovery discs numbered 1, 2 and 3. The OS one is given as Vista Business instead of Tablet XP 2005. There are no documents mentioning the difference.

Also, when I try to update the OS, MS Update fails with SP3. Is this a known issue? TIA

Lloyd

2. drrg

drrg Pen Pal - Newbie

Maybe it doesn't apply to your situation, but I have something similar going for me on my x200. It came with tablet xp, but it has a Vista COA with the Vista DVD. So, if you want to have XP recovery discs, you have to make those before upgrading to Vista.

In other words, you received xp installed, but you have a license and disc to upgrade to Vista if you want. But, if you ever want to go back to xp, you'll have to make the recovery discs on your own.

At least that's what I make of the situation.

3. jonlumpkin

jonlumpkin Scribbler - Standard Member

I am pretty sure drrg is right. I was in the reverse situation on my x200 Tablet. Vista pre-installed w/ COA on the bottom. Recovery discs for XP Tablet in the box. However, I had to make my own recovery discs for Vista (double click on the 'U' drive and follow the wizard [you will need a DVD±RW, 1CD, and 2DVD (maybe less for XP)]).

4. Loidster

Loidster Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you drrg and jonlumkin for your quick responses. I'll gather the required supplies and do the back up. The OS DVD's make sense now.

5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Not sure if still relevant, but I finally updated mine to Windows 10 1903 :D

The update took forever despite having an SSD in my X61t, but ultimately it worked. Upgrade path: Win 7 fresh install from CD, five billion security updates, followed by update to Win 10 via free upgrade. The only thing that's not working is the "MultiTouch/MultiView" screen, aka resistive touch. People laud Apple for long term device support, but I'm truly amazed that Win10 runs on this venerable old beast. Thanks Microsoft! :thumbsup:

WillAdams likes this.
  6. tcassidy

tcassidy Pen Pal - Newbie

Although I have no experience with that device, I can say you needn't update Win 7 on a fresh install. Just run the upgrade to win 10 1903 or whatever version immediately after the Win 7 install.

Terry

JoeS likes this.
  7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Good call, I guess the upgrade from Win7 to Win10 also includes any and all necessary security updates. In my case I initially planned to just update it from XP to Win7 in order to be able to use Chrome, so updated Win7 fully. Then months later I decided, what the heck, let's try Win10. Fwiw, this system was purchased 12 years ago, and it still runs pretty well on Win10!