Original MobileStudio Pro 13" problems

Discussion in 'Artists' started by kruzilla, May 31, 2020.

1. kruzilla

kruzilla Scribbler - Standard Member

Not sure if this is the place to post this but my 13" MSP has started just shutting down randomly. No blue screen--just turning off. This morning when I turned it over to investigate where it might possibly be opened to clean out any dust I noticed the screen started to come off. I didn't actually do anything to it. Just turned it over. Any ideas how I might fix these issues? It's beyond its warranty now and frankly, it would cost as much to fix as to buy a new computer (probably going to go with Samsung next) Any help greatly appreciated!

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Could you post a picture of the screen coming off.

I too have a MSP 13 that's now over 3 three years old, and I am not having any issue with my screen. (at least not yet), but I previously had the Cintiq Companion 2 and my screen crapped out barley after a year (wasn't coming apart, it just died). For devices like these, I really doubt there's really much luck in getting fixed outside of Wacom, and from my own dealings with Wacom, I can attest whatever assistance they could give really won't be worth it. I don't remember the exact amount, but with my Cintiq Companion 2's screen, it was at least 50% of the devices cost to have it repaired. In hindsight it was a poor choice at that time to jump on the Mobile Studio right after my CC2 died, but back then there wasn't a viable alternative. But now between the HP Zbook X2, The Samsung Galaxy Flex, and the overall improvement of the Surface Pen tech, I would find it hard to outright recommend a MSP at all at this point.

thatcomicsguy and Marty like this.
  3. kruzilla

kruzilla Scribbler - Standard Member

Actually, I contacted Wacom and for whatever reason, they put it back under warranty and repaired it for free. Go figure. Of course, I ended up buying the HP Zbook X2 G4 since I needed something immediately (killer prices on Ebay, too).

Marty likes this.
  4. akbeyond

akbeyond Pen Pal - Newbie

Ha! I'm in the same boat with my 13" Mobile Studio. It randomly resets and I haven't been able to figure out why. I lost faith in it; it's too crushing whenever I lose progress. So I just ordered the highest configured X2 (manufacturer refurb) rather than going for another Wacom. How's that device working out for you? I instantly feel relieved from knowing it's user serviceable in case something ever needs to be repaired.