Original MobileStudio Pro 13" problems

Discussion in 'Artists' started by kruzilla, May 31, 2020.

1. kruzilla

kruzilla Scribbler - Standard Member

Not sure if this is the place to post this but my 13" MSP has started just shutting down randomly. No blue screen--just turning off. This morning when I turned it over to investigate where it might possibly be opened to clean out any dust I noticed the screen started to come off. I didn't actually do anything to it. Just turned it over. Any ideas how I might fix these issues? It's beyond its warranty now and frankly, it would cost as much to fix as to buy a new computer (probably going to go with Samsung next) Any help greatly appreciated!

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Could you post a picture of the screen coming off.

I too have a MSP 13 that's now over 3 three years old, and I am not having any issue with my screen. (at least not yet), but I previously had the Cintiq Companion 2 and my screen crapped out barley after a year (wasn't coming apart, it just died). For devices like these, I really doubt there's really much luck in getting fixed outside of Wacom, and from my own dealings with Wacom, I can attest whatever assistance they could give really won't be worth it. I don't remember the exact amount, but with my Cintiq Companion 2's screen, it was at least 50% of the devices cost to have it repaired. In hindsight it was a poor choice at that time to jump on the Mobile Studio right after my CC2 died, but back then there wasn't a viable alternative. But now between the HP Zbook X2, The Samsung Galaxy Flex, and the overall improvement of the Surface Pen tech, I would find it hard to outright recommend a MSP at all at this point.

thatcomicsguy and Marty like this.
  3. kruzilla

kruzilla Scribbler - Standard Member

Actually, I contacted Wacom and for whatever reason, they put it back under warranty and repaired it for free. Go figure. Of course, I ended up buying the HP Zbook X2 G4 since I needed something immediately (killer prices on Ebay, too).

Marty likes this.
  4. akbeyond

akbeyond Pen Pal - Newbie

Ha! I'm in the same boat with my 13" Mobile Studio. It randomly resets and I haven't been able to figure out why. I lost faith in it; it's too crushing whenever I lose progress. So I just ordered the highest configured X2 (manufacturer refurb) rather than going for another Wacom. How's that device working out for you? I instantly feel relieved from knowing it's user serviceable in case something ever needs to be repaired.

5. Brian123

Brian123 Scribbler - Standard Member

Sounds like the battery swelling issue. I wasn’t sure if that was a problem on the 13. They just repaired my 16 despite being out of warranty, as the screen was slowly being pushed out and color issues in corners appeared. Should have it back Monday.

I wonder if the Acer ConceptD 7 Ezel will be a decent replacement, since I think it has a Wacom EMR pen. Have to wait for reviews, but several models are up for preorder.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1576977-REG/acer_nx_c5aaa_001_conceptd_7_ezel_10g.html

6. starllcraft

starllcraft Pen Pal - Newbie

Wacom's computer design and manufacturing level is very poor. In the forums in China, countless people are complaining about the quality and after-sales service of msp, and even talk about it. Many people will recommend ipad instead, and I will recommend ud emr products from third-party computer manufacturers.