Ordering Delays

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Lunchbox, Jul 19, 2006.

1. 20six15

20six15 Pen Pal - Newbie

Just got notification that it is being shipped from Shanghai, China vis Fed Ex will arrive on 4 August. Anyone else being shipped from China directly? My sales agent said it will be overnighted from Gateway directly and overnight when I asked her. She also stated that a lot of people cancelled their order. This whole process is full of crap. I ordered the tablet on 29 June and hope to receive it on 4 August??? I will never order from Gateway again.

2. Lunchbox

Lunchbox Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah I remember way when I ordered it, oh those were the days, when I still have this joyous optimism in the customer service that Gateway had prided themselves on for who knows how long. I too ordered on the 29th, and I'm waiting to see what Fedex declares as the delivery date, as it still isn't posted yet. My bag is supposed to be here on the 4th though...woo?

Edit: Now Fedex is saying Aug 4th for my Tablet as well, I guess its time to start that letter to the corporate office about this, because this isn't acceptable, especially when it takes 7-8 days to ship something that should have been here 2 weeks ago as is, don't they have any first class shipping or something they could put this through?

3. 20six15

20six15 Pen Pal - Newbie

Lunchbox-

I finally received a call back from the supervisor of my sales rep (after 1.5 weeks), and apologized and gave me the story that everyone else gave me, and further told me Gateway is replacing key executives to remedy the situation. I told him I really don't care that's at a corporate level, I want my tablet within the time frame they agreed and I demanded that they give those of us compensation for our inconvenience and their manufacturing/inventory incompetence (as they do in other industries). The manager then said that becasue of the delays in shipping he had lost a lot of orders.

I also asked for the address of the corporate executive in charge of manufacturing, Never got it. however, the corporate headquaters is in Irvine, CA. I don't know what is in South Dakota, other than sales. Your letter might be sent to the circular file.

We (customers) need to be more proactive in demanding the customer service that we expect and deserve.

4. Lunchbox

I think South Dakota may be where Gateway originated? Farm country = Cow boxes?

5. wokao118

wokao118 Pen Pal - Newbie

so...their CEO was a farmer.......and farmers don't know how to do business that's why order delays.....hemmmmmm.....everything start to make cense now......

6. Lunchbox

7. wokao118

wokao118 Pen Pal - Newbie

hemmmmm....he does look like a farmer..... anyway, just got my shipping info today and it's also ship from china and it will be here on aug/03 hope no delays this time...

8. Smartdog

Smartdog Pen Pal - Newbie

Well Cats and Kittens,

Smartdog might be getting my new M285-E SB Gateway Tablet PC Tomorrow!!!
    Aug 1, 2006
    3:57 PM​

In transit

ANCHORAGE, AK

3:52 PM​

Arrived at FedEx location

ANCHORAGE, AK

11:24 PM​

Shipment exception

SHANGHAI CN

10:34 AM​

Left origin

SHANGHAI CN

10:07 AM​

Picked up

SHANGHAI CN

I must admit I am very excited :)

I thought about canceling my order.....but I thought to myself.
    "Self...you can always buy a Core 2 Duo chip and upgrade the bios" ....but I must admit 2.0 Core Duo 677 fsb and 2 Gig of RAM 677 (ordered from new egg) , I figure the machine has to have some get up and go!!

I will do a review of the M285-E SB (I think Lunchbox is right...it would be nice if everyone would give a little review (It does not have to be big and fancy...just your thoughts on the machine.)

My first tip I will let you it on:
    There is a magnet on left side of the screen the you can use as a pen holder (It is really a magnet sensor for to let the computer know when the screen is closed so it can turn off the screen to save power)

Oh may as will give you another tip: Tip #2
    I have had a couple of conversations with the people that make the digitizer for Gateway (Fine point innovations) and they let me know that the 2 primary modes (portrait and landscape) you should not have to calibrate your pen....but it you move to the secondary (portrait and landscape) you will most likely have to recalibrate (only take about 5 seconds to recalibrate). This might explain some of the confusion that has been going around about the pen some time not needing to be recalibrated and then suddenly needing to be recalibrated.

Oh and by the way...Tip # 3
    If you have Photoshop CS2 ..you can download the:
    "MagicPoint shim for Adobe Photoshop" and you will be able to use the pressure of the pen to draw (really nice :). At a late time I will explain why the shim is not included in any download from Gateway and What is the next big program the good people at fine point are working on to work with the pen :)

Barking into the Dark Tablet PC Night!

Smartdog
    "We all learn by sharing what we know"

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  9. ave0000

ave0000 Pen Pal - Newbie

An update from me as well, I think mine is coming over on the same fedex shipment as a previous poster. I was just about to cancel as well.

As far as the upgrade to core 2 duo, that sounds like good fun.

Aug 1, 2006 8:34PM In Transit ANCHORAGE, AK
    11:24PM Shipment exception SHANGHAI CN delay beyond our control

I'm assuming the shipment exception was a delay in customs or something like that. Anyone else know for sure though?

(note: Because of timezones, my M285 seems to be traveling forward and backward in time!)

10. Lunchbox

I picked mine up yesterday! Still not too much time with it yet so I don't have too many initial reactions except that you need to update the drivers for the pen as soon as possible otherwise that pen will get the better of you. Also its larger then I had anticipated, so I'm learning ways to hold it/cradle it/place it to where its at the optimal viewing angle and still comfortable.