Ordering Delays

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Lunchbox, Jul 19, 2006.

1. VTClark

VTClark Pen Pal - Newbie

My M285 is expected to arrive august 11, and it better not get delayed too much because school starts the august 21st!!!!

2. Smartdog

Smartdog Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey Lunch,

I just got some more confermation news from Gatway:

I ordered on July 17th and the expected date is ...drum roll please....Aug 3rd!
    (Things that are holding up order is Screens (They just got them in and Power adaptors)

I ordered:
    M285-E SB
    2.0 Cord duo 667
    512MB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2-256MB modules)
    (I just received my 2 sticks of 1 Gig 200 pin 667 DDR2 (P2-5300) RAM from NewEgg:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145048
    ATI Mobility™ Radeon® X1400 64MB Graphics featuring Avivo™ display technology
    80GB 7200rpm Serial ATA hard drive
    Modular 8x Multi-Format Double Layer DVD Writer (DVD±R/±RW/CD-RW)
    Primary 12-cell lithium-ion battery with AC pack and 1 yr. limited battery warranty
    Modular 6-Cell lithium ion battery w/ primary battery bay filler and 1-yr. limited battery warranty
    Two Gateway executive stylus pens w/ Continuous Sensing Technology
    Integrated Intel® 802.11a/b/g wireless networking card
    Bluetooth® Wireless Networking Module
    3year accident insurance (This is great...I can basically sit on the machine and still have it replaced!! :)
    3 year next day fix warrenty/tech support with 1-800-number !!:D
    VGA to S-Video Adapter (I believe this will work)
    http://www.computercasesandcables.com/ccc/CV-25120.html

Free:
    Targus® Platinum Deluxe Carrying Case (fits 17" screens)
    -$250 instint rebate
    -$50 (just because the Gatway Customer Service Guy was cool)
    $1993.00 + 287(ram from newegg) 5.49 =$2276.49

I went to Best Buy tonight to look at the Gatway tablet they have there. I most say ....I never thought I would say this....but the Gatway tablets are really nice.

Smartdog
    "We all learn by sharing what we know

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. 20six15

20six15 Pen Pal - Newbie

I ordered the CX210X on 6/29 and was advised that it was to ship on 7/21 then changed to 7/25 and now found out a couple of days ago pushed to 7/31. I have never waited this long for a product to be manufactured and it would be nice if Gateway Direct would offer those of us who were delayed some kind of an accessory discount for OUR INCONVENIENCE !!! That would be customer service. I did check Costco and they have had the Toshiba M-405 ready to ship 3-5 days (pre-configured) !!

The reason for the delay, they say, is back order of the screens.

The other issue of CX210X vs. M285-E or M285-SB. I brought this to the attention of my service advisor Jaylee Moody from Gateway and she stated that there is no difference in the product, it is just what model had the best pricing at the time. So that is what I was told. Has anyone else heard that before?

My unit is:

Gateway CX210X (VPR-C) $1,876.45

Intel Core Duo Processor T2500 (2.00GHz, 667MHz FSB, 2MB L2)
    1024MB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (1-1024MB module)
    80GB 5400rpm Serial ATA hard drive
    Cyberlink CDRW and PowerDVD Solution 2-Channel
    14.0" WXGA TFT Active Matrix w/ Executive Stylus
    Viper-C ATI M54 64MB MBD w/945PM & 1394
    90 Watt AC Adapter and Power Cord
    Integrated Intel 802.11a/b/g Wireless Networking
    Bluetooth Wireless Networking Module
    Intel WLAN to Bluetooth Cabling
    Additional Pen
    Screen Cleaning Cloth

Everyone who has been delayed, (and continue to be pushed back) should request a credit or gift certificate or discount of an acccessory.

4. Smartdog

Smartdog Pen Pal - Newbie

20six15,

I think you would be in line to try to get some kind of discount or product for being loyal and not going with another product.

I think if your kind and explain the situation to your rep (If you know their name or number) and ask them if there is anything they can throw in to sweeten the deal.

I have to say that my rep (who has been very cool and is quite an informed sale rep about the products they offer, let me know that the screens have just come in (the screen and the 90 w adapter or the two things holding up the whole works.)

Remember: you need to get the computer you want. You want to be happy with your purchase. If you do some real research on other Tablet PCs and they work for you and you trust the brand , then buy that brand. You are the only one that can make that decision.

I say see what Gateway can do for you. You might get something free :). I believe you can still cancel the order without any trouble. Ask what the policy for canceling is....call a couple of times to different reps and make sure they all say the same thing.

I am happy to wait for my M285- E SB Tablet PC from Gateway because it is what I want. Your situation maybe different.

CX210X vs. M285-E or M285-SB:
    I believe you are correct about the machines being the same. The difference is the options offered for each of those machines and the service plans and tech support options. As long as you are getting the options you want on your machine (Looks like you have a nice Tablet PC on the way), then it does not make a difference (besides the service plans and tech support )

I hope this helps you is some way...I understand your feelings. I have been obsessing on the M285-E SB Tablet PC from Gateway every since I gave myself permission to buy it :)

Smartdog,
    "We all learn by sharing what we know"

5. Lunchbox

Lunchbox Pen Pal - Newbie

After hearing that your rep was that helpful then I might try to see if my rep could possibly help out a little bit and maybe throw in an extra pen or something. I know its not always possible but I should try at least. 20six15, I know how you feel I ordered on the exact same day so I feel the sting of having to wait.

6. 20six15

20six15 Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok Guys-

Just wanted to update regarding another DELAY . I will now be shipped on August 3rd !! Just want to confirm if anyone had heard that they drop ship these units direct from CHINA??

The Customer Service Agent Judy informed me that it would take 2-3 day for shipping. I then asked if they could courtesy ship the unit overnight since it will be over 1 month delayed. She told me no and said that the unit will be shipped diretly from China and then through Alaska and then to my doorstep.

Has anyone else been delayed?? I'm getting very frustrated.

7. Lunchbox

Yeah I decided to e-mail the account executive about this and seeing if an extra stylus could be included in my order due to these constant delays. I tried to call but it seems he is away from his phone at every waking hour, so this is the next best thing. I swear if my order is delayed too much further I may just up and forget this order entirely and shell out the money to buy a toshiba at the store or something so I can have it now, because this is getting ridiculous.

Technology doubles every 18 months, if it takes 1.5 months to get me my computer, doesn't that feel like I'm behind the technology curve from the start?

8. RoyalBean

RoyalBean Pen Pal - Newbie

I just ordered my gateway today (7/24) and the arrival date is 8/2 . I was surprised to see they expect only a little more than a week for delivery when everyone here is talking in terms of months not days. I am thinking of starting a lottery for people to guess the actually date ;)

9. Lunchbox

Pushed back to the third, I need to get a hold of the account representative about this, this is ridiculous.

10. Lunchbox

Called them, I was told that due to the massive amounts of delays that there was no way that they could supplement my order at all. I got him to record my phone number and told the guy to call me when there is any change in the status of my order or if there is anything else that may happen to it. At least I got to vent some steam, the guy took some punishment from me at least which kept me from cancelling my order all together, 3 weeks past the original estimated arrival date is ridiculous. The sales executive also stated that they would be focusing all their screens and orders on the education and business computers first so if there are any home users having purchased the cx models you may be in for a longer wait overall.

On demand purchasing, it may work in the short run and yield a higher profit right now, but it really puts off customers when there is a supply issue or something down the line. Take note of this any of you if you ever start a company, keep a supply and inventory and it'll keep your customers happy.

Edit: Also I e-mailed them stating that due to the mind games of small delays, turning into one huge one, which kept my hope alive on the order that after this order I would no longer be purchasing gateway products and would recommend others stay away from them too if you want a computer when you ask for it. I must admit the service and support have been excellent with the information they have been given, but the corporation as a whole has a lot to learn about business before I consider giving them any more money. I have talked to numerous people in my office as well and they have stated over the years they have had these same problems with desktops, laptops, and just about anything else they order from gateway.