Ordered a Lenovo Yoga A940 to test if its AES 2.0 is good as my quick test seems to suggest.

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Shogmaster, Sep 22, 2019.

1. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

DId you get it today?

2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Not yet.

3. Shogmaster

OK, time for an update...

I got the machine back on the 14th. I tried to get the cover off. Same problem as last one from Best Buy. THE SCREWS WERE STUCK SOMEHOW.

It took me a whole week to get them out and lo and behold, they used wrong type of screws.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

See how the threads start like several mm from the top? That's why they won't grab the thread. TOO F'N LOW. I had to use needle nose pliers and pull while shoving something strong and thin underneath so that I can get the thread to garb while I still force down with the screw driver and twist. JEBUS CHRISTMAS.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So after like a week I finally got both screws out. I chewed up the cover surface to do it, but finally managed it. BUT NOW THE COVER IT SELF IS STUCK. It won't budge! I tried suction cups, pry tool, screw driver, nothing works. It's really stuck on there. I only managed to damage the surrounding plastic.

[​IMG]

Before you ask if you are meant to remove the cover, this is what Lenovo's site says about how to remove the "easy access cover":

https://download.lenovo.com/lts/RCDW1480/FOF/RCDW1480-Yoga-A940_REM_FRU_11_BaseUnitTopCover.mp4

F U Lenovo... Now I have a 2 week old 1TB NVMe SSD from Newegg I can't return.

So the question is this:

1. Do I get a replacement or refund.
    2. What's the chance that 2 machines in a row has a rare defect
    3. Is this a manufacturing defect?

Another thing:
    Remeber when I said I got it from Lenovo after returning the Best Buy open box one I got for $1980? I got it for $1870 with more RAM brand new from Lenovo. It was $800+ off. Now it's listed as $1649 ($900+ off) and OUT OF STOCK. So...

4. Is this thing at the End Of Life? If not, why the crazy discount and out of stock?

I called Lenovo support and the guy never even heard of this model before I called. It's that new. Also says it's not at EOL, nor any known issues with it. I have 30 days to get either replacement or refund.

So... Which do I go for?

Marty likes this.
  4. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

Sorry for all your pain. I have no answers... But I look forward to your next update! :D

5. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Hmm, that one looks like a doozy.

Well, the partially threaded screws are almost certainly not a manufacturing defect. They are there to prevent after-market access, except with a special tool (probably magnetic?).

The back panel itself looks like there location for plastic retention clips along the outer rim (especially the top):

[​IMG]

In the video, they were simple plastic tabs, but that could have easily changed to retention clips for the shipping SKU. . That is probably what locking the panel in place.

If you are dead set on opening it, I would start from the bottom corner, like in the video:

[​IMG]

And gently pry, looking for retention clip locations along the edge. Sometimes, the latches are designed such that one edge of the panel needs to be raised slightly, for the latches to move out of locking position. An example of this on the Z Canvas:
    [​IMG]
    "The latches are designed so they will release when the screen is slid up approximately 2mm. There are also a couple of pegs at the top corners of the screen, which will prevent the screen from starting to slide. The locations of these pegs are shown below."[​IMG]
    Peg on the left hand side of the screen, from multiple angles

Sorry, not much help I know. But hopefully it gives you some ideas at least on how to tackle this one. Good luck!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  6. Shogmaster

Wait so you are saying that they made so that it's almost impossible to open, even though they spent all of CES and several promotional videos touting how easy it is to get inside? That's breach of sales promise. Period.

7. Marty

Pretty much. 2 units with 'accidentally' partially-thread screws?...it's by design.

(Though, it's on Lenovo for any damage resulting from incorrect service documentation.)

I'd say use it to your heart's content, and unless you fall in love with the digitizer, return it. Hey, if it turns out it's really that good, what's a busted back panel, compared to a sublime drawing experience eh? ;)

8. Shogmaster

This thing is pretty rad, and it's AES experience is like no other, but it might be too unweildy in hindsight for a guy who exclusively owned only laptops for last 15 years. Transporting it to and fro returning to Best buy and from work to home for second try really made me dread the girth of it.

Being permanently tied to desk at home seem now really limiting too.

If I spend say $700 more, I can swap it out for a new Thinkpad P53 with 4K OLED AES, i7 9850H, Quadro RTX 3000 6GB, three 2282 m.2 slots (2 NVMe) and 4 SoDIMM slots. A940 only has 1 m.2 and 2.5" slot each, 2 SoDIMM slots and RX560 4GB. The CPUs would be about par too. Hmmm....

9. Marty

Ah, sad to see this thing go. Did you ever attempt opening it again? Will the SSD you ordered go to the C940 then?

First impressions, do you find C940 AES performance on par with the A940, or did Lenovo bake some secret sauce into the bigger panel? ;)

10. Shogmaster

I was beginning to really put a crack on the plastic parts so I decided to just get a refund before I can't lol.

And I'm returning the C940 too. The pen doesn't feel as good as A940. And soldered on RAM is no bueno.

I was on this road to try and get a powerful desktop replacement unit of some kind with good pen capability, but it's a rough road. Many of the prospects have too much flaws like no upgrade path or subpar pen action. Do I really have to spend $7000 for Acer ConceptD 9 Pro to get everything I want? Or do I just make do with $2500 Thinkpad P53 and buy a Cintiq Pro 16 for $1000 to go along with it?

In the meantime, I might just have to settle for a used Samsung Notebook Pro 9 15" to get some decent machine to draw at home for the time being and save up for a decent spec Thinkpad P53. Maybe by then Wacom will release a 17.3" Cintiq Pro so I can stop lusting after the super over priced Concept D9 Pro.

Marty likes this.