Ordered a Lenovo Yoga A940 to test if its AES 2.0 is good as my quick test seems to suggest.

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Shogmaster, Sep 22, 2019.

1. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You've sort of disagreed then agreed with me. Wacom has put AES out but possibly in the case of large panels has crippled tilt to prevent a competitor to their own high cost Pro Cintiq range.

I had the same opinion but when you do get to use tilt that actually works well (and I'm not talking Photoshop tilt) - it's a nice thing to have for when you need it.

2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

We are assuming quite a bit about A940. Only thing I can say at this point is it's not straight up AES 1.0 nor 2.0 panel.

As for tilt, I again assert that you never "need" it like you do pressure sensitivity.

It's a feature designed to mimic analog tools on paper. It's ultimately limiting in digital workflow. There are better ways to achieve same results without regripping your damn pen in a middle of a stroke to do it. It's same thing I say about Wacom's and Surface pens' eraser on the back. Instead of simply holding down the barrel button or KB key, you have flip and re-grip the pen?!? And you lose presfure sensitivity while doing it? F off.

Digital works better when you let go of stupid analog anachronisms and you embrace full digital.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  3. doobiedoobiedum

Oh I don't mean tilt is essential - it's never always really worked in a way that (and here I disagree with you) accurately replicates analogue. Especially in Photoshop but when it works - it works well and does some really good things. I know you hate iPad and Procreate but tilt there is just amazing and does things Photoshop can't.
    I even had tilt working in OneNote but that program is so unpredictable that just before I finished a "charcoal" drawing - all the brushstrokes suddenly turned back to solid vectors. That however was a software failing - just like Photoshop's comic "tilt" efforts of the past. I haven't used the latest CC so it may finally work.

As for an eraser... I loved my Dell Canvas pen but I missed the erasor. Glad to have it back on my zBook though. Some software however does different things when you use the barrel so I'm not always keen on keyboard erasors.

All I will say is that different artists will want different things - many transitioning from traditional will appreciate working tilt and will want an erasor.

Marty likes this.
  4. Shogmaster

I agree that tilt and eraser best serves transitioning artists, but ultimately it becomes a crutch instead of a temporary training wheel IMO.

5. Shogmaster

Gave up on waiting for the Dial app to come back to MS store and just dig out my old Wacom Expresskey Remote and install it on the A940. It's almost perfection now. Too bad I will be starting over from scratch tomorrow since my new 1TB PCIe SSD just got delivered. I wasn't gonna deal with mere 256GB of fast storage so...

BTW, Wacom's driver support site is a f'n mess. Took me forever to find driver for the Expresskey Remote. Fix that dumpster fire of a website, Wacom!

6. doobiedoobiedum

You and I are never going to agree that! :newpalm:

Your experience and contacts tell you one thing and mine tells me another.

7. Shogmaster

Tragic flaw came to light today. Wanted install new SSD today so I proceeded to open it up. Whomever bought this and returned it prior (open box) totally fuc*ed up putting the case lid back on so the screws won't come out. Totally stuck. Had to return it to Best Buy and ordered a.new one. Had to pay $260 difference since new vs open box. I'm a sad boy for few days...

8. Shogmaster

9. Shogmaster

For free delivery option, it's getting to me pretty quick from Lenovo. 10th delivery. I ordered Sunday morning. Sun to Thursday ain't too bad at all...

Attached Files:

10. Shogmaster

Shipment delayed till Monday due to LA fires. Was gonna spend quality time installing bigger SSD and everything this weekend... :(