Ordered a Lenovo Yoga A940 to test if its AES 2.0 is good as my quick test seems to suggest.

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Shogmaster, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Something else: This is NOT AES 2.0, or at least does NOT have the tilt feature in AES 2.0. I think Wacom pressured Lenovo to nix the tilt so that they can still tout tilt as a "professional" feature unique to Cintiqs.

In any case the joke's on Wacom cuz I don't give a sh*t about tilt. I just wanted decent grid density and I got it! Suck on that Wacom corporate!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Since you use Clip Studio a lot....have you been able to get the side-USB dial to work with Clip Studio? The one time I used it at Best Buy....the dial accessory’s software was quite limited to just Adobe and Autodesk software, with no option to even program it for general use. This was a few months ago....I’ve been hoping Lenovo would have updated it by now.

3. Shogmaster

Looks like Lenovo pulled the dial app from MS Store. It says currently not available for download. Must have had a bug or security hole for something...

4. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The original WindowsCentral review article stated the pen at least was AES 1.0

Maybe in a year or two AES 2.0 or higher will be standard across a range of machines but we have to be careful again that Wacom doesn't become the bottleneck to high quality AES being used by all manufacturers so they can keep the best for their own highly priced machines. It's equally up to artists not to be snooty about only using Wacom AES if other manufacturers can supply equal technology.

wytn and Marty like this.
  5. Shogmaster

Well the problem with that is, I am using Dell AES 2.0 pen, which in the past has shown real problem working in BC with AES 1.0 panels. I don't think this panel is straight up AES 1.0 panel nor 2.0 panel. It might be firmware tweaked AES 2.0 panel that has tilt disabled.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  6. Shogmaster

Well one thing is for damn sure... I can't use this thing with bare hand. The touch is way too sensitive. The line gets wavy mid stroke if it's long stroke or long duration because your palm moves as you make the stroke and affect the line you are making.

I might have to redo that jitter video since I'm resting my bare palm. When I use a glove, the line is straight as an arrow when doing long strokes. I think some of that small jitter seen on the A940 was my palm affecting the line.

With multitouch screen this sensitive and HUGE, you definitely need a glove your drawing palm...

crazycat and thatcomicsguy like this.
  7. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

Now if they make a monitor only version (with maybe docking mount for mini PC ) that would be perfect. Wacom probably won't be happy though...

8. Shogmaster

Wacom would cockblock that probably. Unless Lenovo cuts them a sweet deal like with Dell and Canvas...

9. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

In the best scenario, AES 2.0 tablets might have to have an enabling tweak to make tilt work but in the worst and most likely scenario Wacom are up to old tricks to give second rate equipment to everyone else.

I haven't followed AES too much but if there is a manufacturing standard beyond Wacom's control for AES then hopefully competition will make sure Wacom have to do as well for OEMs as they do for Wacom themselves.

-----EDIT-----

AES is Wacom's tech but it is for Microsoft tablets as Apple has obviously designed its own in the iPad and hopefully in the future on MacBooks. As this article suggests though - Microsoft needs AES to perform well so why Wacom develops a tech to then cripple it makes no sense.

https://www.onmsft.com/editorial/future-pen-hardware-microsoft-powered-devices

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  10. Shogmaster

First, there are plenty of AES 2.0 panels in the wild with tilt enabled. Most of Lenovo's pen devices have it. I made videos of the tilt in action.

Second, not having tilt doesn't "cripple" anything. I hardly use tilt in my professional workflow. Most pros don't either. It'only useful for marketing bullet point for Wacom in separating their "consumer" and "pro" devices.

IMO Wacom is trying to protect their pro Cintiq line sales as much as possible while still trying to make much money as possible providing components to ODMs. Something like A940 will take sales directly away from large Cintiqs for sure. I think de-tilting A940 is a logical action for their mindset.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019