Ordered a Lenovo Yoga A940 to test if its AES 2.0 is good as my quick test seems to suggest.

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Shogmaster, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Best Buy has it this week for $1999 ($2300 regular price). I ordered an open box for $1780. Came just under $2000 after tax.

If I'm to keep this bad boy, It need to be as good as my HP i7-8700T AIO and Cintiq 22HD combo at work. The 22HD is still pretty damn good pen display, with its DTK EMR. But no multi touch makes it annoying for me. I don't expect A940's AES 2.0 pen and digitizer to be as good as 22HD's DTK EMR digitizer and pen, but if it gets close, I will be happy.

If that quick pen test at Best Buy couple weeks ago was just a fool's gold, then it goes back and I will just use the money for Cintiq Pro 24 Touch month or two later and build a small Ryzen 3 3600 SFF box for it.

darkmagistric and thatcomicsguy like this.
  2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

3. Shogmaster

Umm... that EP digitizer had jitter the size of Texas... The grid density of the 32" seems terribad. Also Kickstater? Wake me up when it's shipping.

Promising EPs tend to become not as good FEPs and eventually become mediocre or bad production models in that realm...

fauzip and WillAdams like this.
  4. Shogmaster

Oh sh*t! it's being delivered early! Should have it today at work.

5. Shogmaster

WowowWOW! The pen is at least as good as Cintiq 22HD I have next to it. Yep the grid density on this AES 2.0 panel is pretty freaking amazing.

Even without the Wacom driver, CSP is like buttah. Me gusta...

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    Art_N00b and thatcomicsguy like this.
  6. Shogmaster

I wonder if this digitizer is the reason why this thing is hardly in stock anywhere...

If this is the future if AES then bring it on!

7. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

I screencapped the video you posted at:

for the Yoga A940 and the Cintiq 22HD each. When I compare the screencaps, the Wacom looks better to me with less jitter. I am discounting the first Wacom line drawn as it was drawn faster than any others.

Good idea on the inch marks btw. I'm trying to account for the camera being at a different distance in each screencap, but the Wacom still looks better.

Also, I'm curious about the CSP stabilization being left at 6 instead of turned off. Maybe because that's how you normally use CSP? If so, I suppose that's fair.

I attached the screencaps.

diags_cintiq_22hd.PNG diags_yoga_a940.PNG

What do you think?

8. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

When I browse the images in my post, I don't see the filenames anywhere. The Wacom image is closer up (less inch marks).

9. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Oh man! You've got one of those units on your desk???

As they'd say back in kindergarten: "You Lucky Duck!"

You should definitely do a full review video for YT!

At first look, it didn't seem as smooth as the Wacom, but then I ran the video again and filled my screen with it, and I have to agree, it does looks pretty good with no obvious line bumps or other tell-tale AES issues. For $2000 it needs to pass the test of full time use, but from this little example, it looks like a potential winner.

I'd love to try it out next to my Dell Canvas...

10. Shogmaster

Keep in mind we are comparing it to Wacom's pro line EMR with 5000+ lines per inch res! That's 10x of consumer UD series EMR's 500+ lines per inch in all Tablet PCs. The fact that it comes close to it is more than fine for jitter. Amazing even. It leapfrogs all other Pro Cap active digitizers anywhere near its size. The only ones that compete are iPad Pros which only goes up to 12.9". This is f'n 27"!!!