Order the Fujitsu T4210 now or wait for the Asus R1F?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by NewbieX, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewbieX

NewbieX Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm under a bit of a time constraint as school starts early August. I need a tablet PC that will last me 4 years (mainly for note taking and internet browsing).

I was hoping that the Asus R1F would have already been released by now, but I'm not sure if it's worth the wait. I know it's Asus' first tablet PC, so no one knows how good it is.

So, for those of you who have a Fujitsu T4210, would you recommend I wait a little longer for the Asus R1F or should I just get my own Fujitsu T4210 now?

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think you may get a biased answer here NewbieX.

Although I obviosly have not seen the ASUS, I've never put their laptops in the same league as Fujitsu's.
    You certainly will not be disapointed though with the T4210.

Of all the current tablets, it is my tablet of choice :)

3. gtsai2

gtsai2 Pen Pal - Newbie

From another post here, i read that the Asus will have integrated graphics as well....and if it releases anytime soon, it wont have the new merom. So what are the advantages that the Asus could have over the t4210?

4. rob1116

rob1116 Scribbler - Standard Member

Given that little is known for sure about the R1F, and as you mentioned, no one has experienced its quality first hand, this is a tough question to answer.

The Asus is going to be similarly equipped, except with a possible option for dedicated graphics, and I believe a larger screen (13.3" ?) - other than that, the specs are going to be pretty much identical to the T4210. If these two features are important to you, you can find them in the Toshiba M7, or wait for the R1F which may or may not provide them.

Honestly, when all the latest models of tablets are so competitively equipped, the decision between two models is very much a matter of personal preference, based largely on brand preference and respectively minor details. For instance, a major plus for me about the T4210 is the modular bay battery option... adding substantial battery power without increasing the size of the unit. Maybe the R1F will have one, maybe not. Both have biometric security (fingerprint scanner)... the T4210 screen swivels in both directions (the only tablet to do so thus far; not that it matters much really), the pen on the 4210 is stored in view inside the screen bezel... the list of tiny, model specific things is long, and none of it crucial.

I say, if you need one soon, go for the 4210... the R1F may or may not be great, but even if it is great, it's not going to be better by a large margin. If you were say, looking at the Lenovo X41 tablet, and wanted to wait for the X60 tablet, that would be a good idea, because the X60 is going to be a major step up. The R1F will be using the same processor and chipset... a step sideways really.

(Take this with a grain of salt, as I don't yet own a tablet :D . My T4210 should be arriving any day now... I too bought mine for educational purposes... university in September)

5. Loaf.

Loaf. Scribbler - Standard Member

personally i'm waiting for the asus because the 13.3 inch screen hits that sweet spot for me. also, since i own an asus laptop i have had first hand experience with their build quality and service and i've been nothing short of impressed. another good thing about asus is they usually deliver great bang for the buck. so u can probably bet the tablet will be at pretty good price which to me is a pretty big factor in deciding between these two.

6. P8RSON

I'm pleased that you have great faith in ASUS Loaf.
    After all, you have used them and as such are very happy with what you have tried.

One question though.....
    Have you actually tried a Fujitsu Lifebook.
    I've used both ASUS & Fujitsu and for me the Fujitsu wins it.
    Services too are very good.

Anyway, your happy and that's all that really counts. :)

7. Loaf.

Loaf. Scribbler - Standard Member

personally to me, i feel my z70va build quality is much more solid and better than the fujitu's that i've encountered. to me the fujitsu's seemed too plasticky, but from what i hear they are still pretty good. also fujitsu does provide some great service, so either way service will be top notch. one of the main factors tho in my appreciation of asus is that they offer the combinations of power and finesse that most other makers dont, all at a reasonable price. to me fujitsu laptops do tend to be pretty high priced for what they offer, although with their tablet pc i can certainly understand.

8. P8RSON

I don't know what Fujitsu's you have seen and used Loaf but the Lifebook's construction is Mag Alloy casing with hard resin plastic (it looks and feels like metal).

9. rob1116

rob1116 Scribbler - Standard Member

I'll second that. Though admittedly, I have never handled an Asus (and thus I will not comment on the build quality), I must say that every Fujitsu I have had the pleasure of touching has been built like the Japanese automobiles I admire so much - solid, finished, with seemingly no off-the-shelf-"hey this will fit"-surplus components to speak of. The T4210's build quality was enough to inspire confidence in its durabilty in me; superior (in this respect) to most models from most manufacturers that I have come into contact with.

10. PYROTAK

PYROTAK Scribbler - Standard Member

asus makes solidly built laptops, so I am going to hold off on ordering the t4210 until the rf1 comes out.

if the rf1 has dedicated graphics and similar dimensions in terms of thickness and weight then im getting it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.