OQO for artists :D

Discussion in 'UMPC - Ultra Mobile PC' started by latinvixen, Mar 10, 2011.

1. latinvixen

latinvixen Artist

OQO model 2 running windows 7

So in search for tiny, useful and wacom I came across the OQO. I gave it a go with the hp slate 500, being ntrig I had my reservations. Ntrig ended up being OK but limiting in the apps I could use, so ended up selling it on ebay. I got myself something that is a bit older but smaller but at the same time has wacom. Yes I know what some of you might be saying, what the heck can I do on a screen that small. Well it is 5 inches and 5 inches of full windows. The device itself came with XP and for me that just won't do. I love windows 7 so went ahead and installed that. Had to do it twice as I sorta made a big old mistake doing the first installation, but when all was said and done and all the drivers and windows updates installed it the computer was awesome. So it sort of reminds me of a gps with a keyboard that slides out. The keyboard is really easy to use and has a dedicated # side which rocks.

The biggest draw was the computer had a wacom screen. I love, simply love being geeky and taking my computer everywhere. Usually I draw on it, mostly sketches as when I am with friends that is what I like best. So why not take something that is just slightly bigger than a phone, and sketch on my favorite programs. Take in mind this is not a computer replacement for any other art computer, just another addition if you want to be really portable and still draw on the screen.

All the programs you would think work. Ones I have tested and work very well with no lag and perfect pressure are:

-SAI
    -Open Canvas 4
    -Sketchbook Pro
    -Az Drawing
    -Art Rage

They all work without an issue. I would suggest using sketchbook and art rage the most as you can do full screen and for a screen this small I highly suggest it :).

I am currently installing photoshop cs3 as cs3 seems to handle well on small screens compared to cs5. Once that is in I will report on how PS works on it, being so small.

All in all I am amazed something this small. relatively cheap works so well. Take in mind OQO comes in a variety of models. I went after the Model 2. You need to get these on craigslist or ebay as they no longer make them.

Totally recommend it if you want something tiny to draw on while on the go. You can get the battery that lasts longer than the original and get about 5 hrs instead of the typical 2.5-3 hrs (estimated).

2 quick shots:
    Oqo model 2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Oqo model 2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Video soon to come ;)

EDIT

Works with Photoshop. Tested with both Photoshop cs3 and photoshop 7. Handles way better and less lag on PS7 and handles the screen size better.

Quick test, pressure works on it too no prob

Oqo | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Oqo | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Will take non cellphone photos soon with video showing how it works.

Take in mind I would never make this my one and only computer for anything. The thing is tiny so it would be a great companion. But if you want a full windows pc, and one that takes windows 7 well and you can draw on it check the OQO model 2 out. If you like small screens, wacom and having all the art apps you usually use, I suggest this.

I adore this little computer :D If you have any questions just ask. I plan on doing some more extensive sketches in a bit to see how it fares :).

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

cool, I think I know what my next gadget investments gonna be. Although it seems to work well, the thought of Photoshop on a screen that small still kind of scares me. How was the lag in Cs3 compared to the lag on the Ls800?

Does the device get hot?
    Because of the slid out nature of the keyboard, is it uncomfortable to hold?
    Have you tried playing around with programable keys on the device? The directional pad on the Ls800 was crucial for my use of Sai, are there any programable buttons on it?

3. latinvixen

latinvixen Artist

Photoshop on that screen is just fine, just make sure all the menus aren't all over the place and you should have more than enough space.

Cs3 reacts a lot like it does in the ls800 a bit laggy. I installed the oldest version of PS I had which was 7 and I haven't had any lag issues (you can always test out cs1 and cs2 or even cs5 see if you like it). Granted I don't sketch there but I could ink there if need be. Sai and Azdrawing work really well for inking, as for shortcut keys not yet. I haven't set any of the fn keys to do anything as of yet, but you could easily draw with the keyboard open to get to more shortcuts if you wanted. Make sure that you change the settings if you upgrade to windows 7 when the computer goes to sleep. The computer was thinking when I slid the keyboard in it meant sleep time. As it works just like closing the lid on a laptop. Changed that in the power settings as well :) so it stays on when I slide it shut.

I have the computer on passive user instead of active so the fan goes on for a bit then calms down (sorta in battery saver mode). When the fan is going at full speed it does get a bit noisy but does a really good job of keeping the pc warm but not setting you on fire like the ls800 was getting on me. The oqo manager does not work for me on windows 7 so I control the fan in the power management options.

The keyboard is actually really comfortable and easy to use. I am a big texter so for me it felt like a giant phone with a big keyboard so no real problems at all there. The mouse it has is actually really really usable and I like it a lot. Granted I will always carry a pen with me to draw but the mouse is pretty nice for browsing.

All in all pretty impressed. Already ordered on ebay an extended battery as I know I will really like taking this one around :).

4. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I find it hard to believe that the OQO2 is more responsive than the LS800... 1.5GHz C7 vs 1.2GHz Pentium M... I guess either way it's painful.

5. latinvixen

latinvixen Artist

I didn't really say that. The ls800 has a big issue with photoshop itself, it just lags like crazy with it. But when you plug in a wacom wireless tablet onto it and try to use PS it works fine. I think there is some sort of driver issue or something of the sort with the ls800 and photoshop as all the other programs worked just fine with no lag.

The oqo works pretty much the same like the ls800. Biggest difference is of course the size of the screen and PS wanting to be more responsive if your using and older version.

Both ls800 and OQO are excellent machines if you are looking for small and portable and you want to draw on it. Hands down wacom really rocks on these.

6. latinvixen

latinvixen Artist

Things to remember:

The OQO manager loves to create problems in windows 7. I would suggest you do not install it, causes more issues than good. Also be careful with all the latest updates from windows 7, it sorta makes the OQO crash so I went and skipped the latest and moved from automatic updates to me choosing when (in other words no longer doing them as I don't need them).

I installed the OQO manager at first to disable the capacitive scroll bars on the side of the screen. They work great for browsing but I wanted them off for drawing as I kept hitting them with my palm making the picture zoom in and out or move up and down depending on the program. I installed the OQO manager to do this and that was the only thing that worked to shut them off (manager won't control your fan speed when you upgrade to windows 7, that you need to do in the power management options which works great). Thing is when the OQO manager in my experience is installed it creates a problem with the mouse driver making that disappear in windows 7. It also creates an issue with the wireless in the OQO making it shut off all the time, which is not cool at all (I would force enable it and it would disable itself). So I went into "msconfig" removed windows management instrument as I had read that was an issue with the mouse and reset the start up in the bios. Mouse was back, manager was gone (yay!) but scroll bars were back. So I came up with a solution while still keeping the scroll bars. When drawing if I want to draw/sketch in landscape I can flip the computer so I am holding it upside down (as the wacom driver works in any way, so no big deal) and put my other hand up top to hold the computer (I have it in slate mode so the keyboard is hidden) and I can control the zoom in and out with that other hand on those scroll bars. Bingo! made the scroll bars super useful when you are working on such a tiny screen.

Will post video to show how well it works, as they are really smooth when zooming in and out. A fun perk for sure.

7. HeavyHanded

HeavyHanded Windows Tablet PC Zealot!

You are hardcore LV! I love the videos you do, thanks a lot.
    Wow! What a collection you've had.

First iPad, then LS800, then EA800, then HP Slate 500, now OQO 2.

Two questions. Of all these devices, which do you grab first and most often for sketching?

If you have the money, which tablet device coming out this year would be a definite 'I gotta check this out' for you?

8. watchdog

watchdog Scribbler - Standard Member

I've been doing similar things with my OQO, had to buy it a new HDD as the old one died (saved all my files elswhere before it did though). I have Artrage and Manga studios on mine (along with Akvis Sketch, great for instant scketch from photos). Manga studios finally works, when I only had XP on it Manga Studios would never calibrate, I'd draw a line and the line would appear somewhere else on the document. I did not have the same trouble with the OQO manager on my device, there was some sort of work-around for it but I cant remember what it was.
    My only real issues are that when I use Artrage, the cursor is always off a bit, and only in Artrage. The device can get very hot after a while, and I wish that it had either another USB port, or an SD card slot, then it would be nearly perfect.

9. latinvixen

latinvixen Artist

Hahaha hardcore :D I love tablets so I love testing new ones out (glad you like the videos I try to post as many as I can for different devices). I sell most of the ones I don't use as often to make way for new ones. At the moment from the current collection I still have my toshiba 12 inch tablet pc, asus note, oqo2 and now ipad2. Out of all of them the one I had probably liked the best was the ls800 because of the size. Easy to carry, wacom digitizer and having the extra batteries was a plus. I usually carried the normal sized one and the extended. Now I carry the oqo2 in a tiny bag with the extra battery and pen. I love sketching on the tiny screen and with windows 7 the calibration for the pen seems really spot on for me. I mean it depends on what you want to do of course. I rarely touch the ipad for painting or doodles, I just have others that are better so the ipad turned into my netbook which I love :D.

As for tablet of the year I am not sure just yet. Waiting to hear what wacom will do next and who will have them instead of ntrig. A lot of tablets coming out but mostly ntrig or just capacitive so being very careful which one I pick next.

I love testing tablets, and at the moment doing a quick review for the oqo2 for art. Plan on making it a 2 parter but posting one tonight :).

10. latinvixen

latinvixen Artist

Video of me sketching on the OQO model 2. Sorta of hard holding the camera with one hand and sketching with the other trying to make sure the angle was right :D Another video soon using a few different programs.

YouTube - OQO model 2 used for sketching/drawing