Options I'm not privy to?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Thievsly, Feb 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thievsly

Thievsly Pen Pal - Newbie

1. What is your budget?
    ~$500
    2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Yes
    3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    Preferably a convertible but Surface Pro 2 is also attractive.
    4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    • 10 to 13-inches
    • Above 13-inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    United States
    6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    Not really, though it will be replacing a 2760p I lost to a car crash.
    7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    At least 3 hours.
    8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    Art (Manga Studio), Audio Editing, and Entertainment.
    9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    Windows
    10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    Manga Studio, Audition, FL Studio, Photoshop, Microsoft office.
    11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    Maybe some OSU!, Maple Story...
    12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    No
    Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    At least 1200x800
    2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    Would be nice but not a requirement.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
    Wacom all the way for me.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    At least 128gb, expandability preferred.
    2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    I'd prefer full sized USB ports.
    Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?
    Reparability and future upgrade options are a plus. 8gb of RAM minimum (can be less if upgradeable). Prefer at least an i5 3rd gen.
    2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

I was recently in a car crash that totalled my car, and destroyed my Elitebook. Luckily I'm being taken care of because of the many kind witnesses that also pulled me from the smoking wreckage.

I am currently considering both the Surface Pro 2 and the Yoga S1. The Yoga is a little above budget, but I might be able to snipe one on ebay. I really like having the option to upgrade, which is not a feature on the Surface Pro 2. Are there any other options?

2. Starlight5

Starlight5 Yes, I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

@Thievsly you can get Fujitsu T734 within your budget - the most upgradeable convertible of them all. It has upgradeable CPU (to i7 quad), RAM (to 12GB), storage (to 2x 9.5mm drives) and can be equipped with WWAN module (very expensive, though). Lenovo X230 tablet is the unbeatable when it comes to repairability. No RAM upgrades for Yoga S1 - you'll be limited to 8GB at best.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
    Thievsly likes this.
  3. Thievsly

@Starlight5 Hey now, That does look right up my alley! It actually has a drop in CPU? That is amazing... I see a few places that have it at around my price range as well. Any good deals in hidden places?

I did see the T902/4 but it seemed a little outside my budget for anything remotely close to the power I want.

The T734 seems like it's a little cheaper just on the case of its size and maybe resolution.

Thanks for the sign! I'll do more research on it.

If there are any others I should know about, feel free to chime in folks!

4. Starlight5

@Thievsly there is no service manual or disassembly guide available - otherwise I'd already replace CPU in mine - but the CPU is definitely socketed and at least i7 4702MQ is supported by BIOS; maybe even something faster will work. You really should weight your priorities. A thin & light machine with single upgradeable storage will suit most people better than thick little monster.

T902 might be a better decision overall, having best of both worlds. While it is limited to soldered dual-core CPUs, it can be equipped with 16GB RAM and 2x 2.5" 9.5mm drives alongside extra mSATA SSDs in WWAN slot, unlike T734 - on top of 900p display. There is a number of auctions for them on eBay right now.

I believe T904 can be had for $500 too - if you're extremely lucky, but no storage in WWAN slot. With Fujis, if you're interestered in WWAN, always get WWAN-ready or WWAN models - too much mess to install otherwise. T732 is the most price-conscious option of them all. It is like T734, without upgradeable CPU but with ability to put mSATA SSDs in WWAN slot.

Thievsly likes this.
  5. Thievsly

WWAN, You mean connecting to 3G/4G networks? Not really interested in that anyway.

I'm really tossing around on the t902... It's not too thick. Lots of expansion options. I can get one with 4GB in one slot and have enough change for a 16GB kit. Not to mention I have an extra SSD laying about from my broken 2760p...

6. Thievsly

Just an update: I jumped on a t902 on ebay for 450 and loaded up with ram. Can anyone tell me the rules of installing an mSATA drive? Do I just pop one in or are there specific models that are compatible?

Starlight5 likes this.
  7. Starlight5

@Thievsly you can use any mSATA drive as long as it says mSATA. Did you order WWAN/WWAN-ready model? Otherwise, it may lack the slot, and you'll need to order an additional board. Someone more familiar with T902 should comment on that, being top-tier offering it may have the slot in all configurations.

8. Thievsly

I don't know if this is common knowledge yet, but I may have figured out the "no palm rejection" issue on Windows 10 with the T902.
    Step 1: Remove all Wacom and Synaptics drivers
    Step 2: Restart PC
    Step 3: Install Wacom driver version 7.3.1-7
    Step 4: Restart PC
    Step 5: Install Synaptics drivers
    Step 6: Restart PC

Only after doing it exactly in that order did I get it to work.

Starlight5 likes this.
  9. Starlight5

@Thievsly, so, how do you like it? Did you upgrade it yet?

10. Thievsly

It's awesome, I added 16gb of RAM, and an 256gb mSATA drive. Added to my already awesome 1tb SSD. Loving this thing for my art and also finding it great for writing music.

Starlight5 likes this.