Optimizing Windows 7 for Tablets

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by jgjackson, Nov 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgjackson

jgjackson Scribbler - Standard Member

Here's my preferred settings for using Windows 7 on a tablet.

• Control Panel -> Display. Medium 125%. This makes buttons and text a little bigger on small screens.
    • Control Panel -> Taskbar and Start Menu. Use small icons. The small icons scaled up to 125% are plenty big enough.
    • Control Panel -> Location and Other Sensors. Hopefully the gsensor auto rotation can be disabled here. I hate it on my phone.
    • Programs -> Accessories-> Windows Mobility Center. Pin to Taskbar. I like having this handy to manually adjust screen brightness (auto adjustments drive me batty), screen rotation, wifi, etc.
    • Control Panel -> Pen and Touch
      • Pen Options -> Start Tablet PC Input Panel -> Settings -> Enable start Input Panel gesture. The HP Slate has a hardware button for this, but if you have pen in hand, I think this is more convenient.
      • Flicks -> Customize. I prefer to bind the up and down flick to the Page Down and Page Up keys (the procedure is tricky) because some programs don't respond to the Scroll actions.
      • Touch -> Touch pointer -> Show the touch pointer when I'm interacting with items on the screen. This gives you an on-screen transparent mouse when you use touch that makes it possible to hover and easier to hit small buttons. If you miss the small button on first try, the mouse shows up and you can position the pointer with precision and get it the second try. Use a flick of the virtual mouse to move the pointer to another corner relative to the mouse. Windows Vista had a taskbar button to turn it on and off, but in Windows 7, you just have to leave it on all the time.
    • Tablet PC Settings -> Other -> Goto Input Panel Settings
      • Opening -> Disable Use the Input Panel Tab. It mostly just gets in the way. The hardware button or gesture are more convenient.
      • Opening -> Show button on the taskbar. Not really needed on the HP Slate since you have the hardware button, but I find it useful on my convertible.

2. GlobexCo

GlobexCo Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you for this thread. Some very useful tips here. l was scouring the net for something like windows mobility center and it was right under my nose!

3. Magnus357

Magnus357 Pen Pal - Newbie

That's a good set of tips.

I really appreciate how you included how to navigate to each of the options.

I move around XP, Vista, and Win7, so I can never remember how to get to each of the settings screens.

4. thadwald

thadwald Scribbler - Standard Member

According to one reviewer, the the HP Slate's power button has a "lock" position that locks the screen orientation.

5. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi, I'll like to add on these 2 setting changes I did:

• Single Click instead of Double Click. Makes it That much closer to opening apps in mobile OSes...
    • Fatter scrollbars. Because I don't have stylus thin fingers...

As a matter of fact, I found this tutorial that mentions installing Microsoft's Origami 2.0 pack to easily tweak touch settings:

Windows 7 Tip — Make Scroll Bars, Windows Controls Bigger for Touch: Mobile Technology News

[​IMG]

Update: I've not been able to install this on my Windows 7 SP1. so if anyone was able to, do give me a heads up on the steps required, thanks!

6. dirtyvu

dirtyvu Pen Pal - Newbie

you don't need any software to make the scrollbars bigger. right click on your desktop, select personalize, click on windows color, click on advanced appearance settings, select scrollbar and change the value to a bigger one such as 48.

in fact, in the advanced appearance settings, you can pretty much change anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.