Optimal use of PowerPoint on a tablet PC

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by lblb, Dec 19, 2011.

1. maryhadalamb17

maryhadalamb17 Pen Pal - Newbie

And one more thing!

Be aware that there is a 720p model which provides a VGA port, HDMI (with audio) port, and an 3.5mm audio jack, as well as, a 1080p model which only provides an HDMI (with audio) port.

And the Warpia video management software will give you a warning message even with the 720p model that your tablet "doesn't have a high enough resolution to maximize it's potential", but I have not seen any issues with anything that I do on it that has been affected by the resolution issue.

2. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks for all the info maryhadalamb, much appreciated.
    I think this may just qualify as the Christmas present from-me-to-me that I haven't taken care of yet...

On a different note:
    I haven't had time to play with the following program too much so I didn't include it in the pdf file but I figured I would mention it since many will have time to try stuff out before classes again. When you use the pen during a PowerPoint presentation (whether you are writing or not), the cursor transforms into a tiny dot that is very difficult to see for the audience. There is a free program out there that allows you to change that dot to a cursor or to a circle of any size or color. I have used it just a few times and it worked great to point things on the slides (it is though a bit weird when you start writing on the slides). You can toggle it on/off with a hotkey. The program is called PenAttention and can be downloaded here:
    PenAttention - Highlight your pen or mouse cursor

On another different note:
    I have received a few requests for the layouts for the onscreen keyboards that are presented in the pdf files so I have uploaded them below.

Instructions:

- There is the single one that has all the commands (Powerpoint_Single.cfg) and also the two keyboards that I am currently using (one that I put on the left that is used to navigate between slides (Powerpoint_Navigation.cfg) and one that I put on the right for inking on slides (Powerpoint_Ink.cfg)).
    - Make sure that Click-N-Type is installed on your computer.
    - To open the single keyboard that has all the commands, just launch Click-N-Type.exe then go in “File”, choose “Select a User Keyboard...” and browse to the file Powerpoint_Single.cfg.
    - Importantly, it’s worth taking the time to adjust the program and keyboard preferences as these will be saved (i.e. you only have to adjust them once). Also, when you relaunch Click-N-Type later on, it will start with the last keyboard that was used so you won’t have to browse to open the file again.
    - You can resize the keyboard to any size you want (I usually resize it once the PowerPoint slideshow has been launched).
    - You can adjust a first series of properties in Options then in “Program Preferences”. You should verify all the option there; for my needs, I leave all the boxes unchecked except that I check “Always keep the keyboard On Top” and “Use System Hooks”.
    - You can adjust a second series of properties in Options then in “Keyboard Preferences”. You should verify all the option there; for my needs, I leave all the boxes unchecked and make sure that Typing sounds are set to None. Note that you can adjust the transparency of the keyboard in this window. As I mention in the pdf file, this works great to control the transparency but I prefer using a button on the titlebar of the keyboard (and that button is available if you use one of the other programs that are mentioned in the pdf file).

- As I mentioned in the pdf file, I now use two keyboards, one on each side of the PowerPoint slides. To be able to use more than one instance of Click-N-Type, you need to do the following: Navigate to the folder where Click-N-Type.exe is installed. Right-click on Click-N-Type.exe and select “Create Shortcut”. Right-click on the shortcut, choose “Properties”. In the “Target” box in the “Shortcut” tab, you should find the path to Click-N-Type.exe in quotation marks. After the last quotation mark, insert a space and write /IX:2 then click OK. You can now use this shortcut to start a second instance of the onscreen keyboard. Note that this keyboard will be completely independent of the first one so you also have to adjust all its properties as described above.
    - So then all you need to do is to put this new shortcut and a normal shortcut to Click-N-Type.exe on the desktop. Just start each shortcut to get two independent instances of the keyboard that will each remember what keyboard was used last (and all the keyboards properties).

A few notes about my keyboard layouts:
    - As described in the pdf file, I have set shortcuts using Shortcut Manager for PowerPoint (make sure you install the free shortcut package PowerPoint Shortcuts). Then in PowerPoint, there should be a “Customize Keyboard Shortcuts” on the “Home” tab. In the Customize Shortcuts window, select “Shortcuts for PowerPoint” in the “Categories” list. About two thirds of the way down in the “Commands” list there should be “Toggle Pen/Mouse” for which I have assigned the shortcut p. Right below in the Commands list there are shortcuts to select pens of different colors. I have made shortcuts to the red pen (r), blue pen (b) and black pen (k). These four keys (p, r, b and k) are on the customized keyboards and allow you to easily switch between pen/mouse and also between pens of different colors. I don’t think I had to set any other Shortcuts than these four.
    - Note that right-clicking on any of the buttons on the keyboards is equivalent to Shift+button. So when pressed, the F5 button that is on the keyboards starts the slideshow at the beginning of the presentation but if you instead right-click on it, it sends Shift+F5 which is the command to start the slideshow on the current slide.
    - The following shortcuts are already set by default in PowerPoint and do not have to be set: Pressing E erases all the drawings, pressing Ctrl+E changes the pen to an eraser, pressing Ctrl+M hides/unhides the inking.

Attached Files:

3. ianthomsonian

ianthomsonian Pen Pal - Newbie

I am an educator and use PPT. I am about to buy an Asus Vivo Smart tablet. Thanks for the great suggestion. But I could not access your pdf. I just keep getting an cloud provider web page, (an ad). I use Firefox. I would be most grateful if you could send me the pdf as suggested. My email is ianthomson@optusnet.com.au. Thank you.

4. lblb

Hi ianthomsonian,

I'm glad (and surprised) to see that this thread can still generate some interest. It's strange that you can't download the file as it works on all my computers. In any case, I'll e-mail it to you.

In there you'll see that my optimal solution is to use a hovering keyboard layout to send keyboard shortcuts (that solution necessitates buying a cheap software for the use of shortcuts in PowerPoint). Since I posted that, I've actually changed my system a bit and instead of using a keyboard layout, I use a toolbar that I created in AutoHotkey (it still necessitates the shortcut software). If ater reading the document you think that that could be of interest, just write back here and I'll (clean up) and share that toolbar.

5. lblb

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  6. dbrn

dbrn Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the link, lblb. I didn't know there was an Educators' thread here!

7. lblb

Hi dbrn,
    Indeed the Educators' forum is very new! Hopefully it can become a good place to discuss the use of tablet PC's in education and related topics. To start it off I thought I would start the thread on the toolbar for PowerPoint. It will be fun to see if there is a real interest for an educators' forum.