Optimal use of PowerPoint on a tablet PC

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by lblb, Dec 19, 2011.

1. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

UPDATE September 2, 2013

For those interested in the subject, the discussion below is a little old. I have now developed a toolbar to use with PowerPoint that is much more efficient:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/edu...-use-powerpoint-tablet-pc-more-efficient.html

Original post:

Hi,

This post is about setting up your tablet PC to make it easier to annotate and draw on slides during a PowerPoint presentation. If you are not interested in the subject, then it’s probably not worth your time reading any further!

The EP121 is the first tablet that I have ever owned and it’s been a real life-changer for my work. I am a college professor and using a tablet PC to directly annotate pdf files has been a huge time saver.

One of the main reasons why I bought a tablet though was that I wanted to use it to annotate and draw on slides during PowerPoint lectures. I figured that tablet PC’s and PowerPoint were a natural match and that there had to be great ways to use them together. I was actually very surprised when I started using my EP121 with PowerPoint that this is actually not the case: you can annotate PowerPoint slides during a presentation but you have to right-click on the slides (or use an icon at the bottom of the slides) then select items from dropdown menus. The whole process is very clumsy and is in fact not very elegant for the audience.

Even after extensive searches on the web, I couldn’t find any discussions pointing to concrete ways of making it better. So I have been experimenting in my classes for three semesters and have come up with a very simple and effective way of using the full potential of the handwriting capabilities of a tablet during a PowerPoint presentation. One of my colleagues saw one of my presentations and was completely puzzled as to how I got it to work so seamlessly so I thought I would share my experience with others. In the attached pdf file I explore a few ways of optimizing the use of PowerPoint on a tablet PC. While the instructions pertain to the EP121, they can easily be adapted to any other Windows tablet PC. If you follow the instructions and maybe throw in your own grain of salt, I think you’ll find that you can get a much more satisfying experience using PowerPoint on a tablet PC.

Being able to write directly on the slides during a Powerpoint presentation has been quite simply wonderful. Gone are the days where half the students can't see what's written on the board on the opposite side of the room. Also, it's been really nice to write on the slides, then save the file at the end of the class and post online my lecture notes that still contain what I wrote during the lecture. And I have had tremendously positive feedback from the students about the "interactivity" of it all. The wow factor when you start writing on a slide during a presentation is always great!

If you are interested, you can read the attached pdf file for a discussion of the simple setup that I use. Sorry I had to put it in a separate file as the images are too large for me to post here.

Hope this can be helpful! I’d also be very happy to hear how others have tried to make the use of PowerPoint with a tablet PC more efficient and enjoyable.

The pdf file is available here:

Optimal_Use_Of_Powerpoint_On_A_Tablet_PC.pdf

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  2. kamikaze458

kamikaze458 Scribbler - Standard Member

If someone use PPTs... it's WORTH reading that PDF.

Thanks for sharing your tips lblb and good job.

3. dbrn

dbrn Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, excellent post lblb,thanks! I'm also in education and I'm sure I'll find good opportunities to use this. +1!

4. maryhadalamb17

maryhadalamb17 Pen Pal - Newbie

Wonderful post! I'm an educator and also at times require to annotate some PowerPoint slides.

A couple of suggestions:
    1) Consider a wireless video/audio adapter. You won't have to be chained to your lecture podium. I use it at school and absolutely love it!

2) Consider a stylus with a side button for quick access to right click menus (or any other functions that you map).

Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. lblb

Hi maryhadalamb17,

Thank you very much for the suggestions!

I do use an Axiotron pen that has a side button set to right-click but for some reason I am not as comfortable right-clicking on slides in the flow of a lecture... probably just need more practice!

I am very interested by your other suggestion. I looked it up on Amazon and it seems that experiences with this device are highly variable. Could you enlighten me a bit about your own experience?
    Do you use it with a EP121? Or another laptop or tablet?
    How about the range?
    Any lag?
    Does it tend to disconnect?
    They insist that both receivers need to be within "eye sight" of each other. Has this been a problem when you walk around or have your back to the other receiver?
    Anything else you think I should know or you wish you had known?

Thanks for your input!

6. Pete in Hyder

Pete in Hyder Z160 1984 $2800 33# My1st

I'd be interested in seeing this. The link today says download starting, but nothing ever comes. Is the link still current?

Pete in Hyder

7. lblb

Hi Pete,

The download link for the pdf file still works for me. When you click on the link, it should take you to a new page where you can download the file. Can you get to that download page?

If it doesn't work, maybe try using a different web browser (it works with both Firefox and Internet Explorer). If it still doesn't work, you can send me a personal message and include your e-mail address and I'll send you the file by e-mail.

Cheers!

8. dbrn

dbrn Scribbler - Standard Member

I'd also be very interested in hearing more about your experiences with that wireless device!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  9. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just read a post by someone recommending 'UW Classroom presenter'. Sounded exactly like what you`d love. You can google it.

10. maryhadalamb17

maryhadalamb17 Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry for the delayed reply, the holidays usually gets the bulk of anyone's time.

I have had no installation/sync issues when I set up my wireless video device with my EP121. Mind you, I also often have to connect and disconnect video cables it as I move from classroom to classroom.
    Realistic range is about halfway down a typical high school classroom (8 desks wide by 5 desks deep arrangement) before you experience lag on audio and video.
    I have not had it disconnect on me randomly except when I first received a faulty model which I had since then returned and exchanged.
    The "eye sight" requirement does not seem to be very stringent in my opinion, however, keep in mind that I tend to keep the receiver base on the desk, very visible. And it does provide 2 ports on the base for you to plug the USB into for better angling - one 90 degrees, one 180 degrees - the transmitter USB key also rotates very well.
    Tablet battery wise, I can last an 80 minute block on a full charge.
    I do recommend you do a set up with the secondary screen which you will use most often to adjust for best aspect ratio, after that, it is really plug and play.

If there's any other information you would like to know, or experiments you'd like me to test out for you. I'll do my best to get you some answers.