Optimal battery care tips

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by davidJlin, Aug 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidJlin

davidJlin Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Friends,

I was wondering if anyone could offer some battery care tips to keep the portable power source in optimal condition. For example, in your experience, which of the following would help increase battery life:

Option #1. Always run the tablet off the battery alone, fully charging and discharging as often as possible, as a rule;

... OR ...

Option #2. Keep the tablet plugged into the wall whenever possible to prevent battery usage, and allow the battery to kick in only when no AC is available.

I know that with the modern batteries, "memory" is no longer a problem. That is, you don't have to always discharge a battery fully before charging to maintain its useful lifespan. But at the same time, batteries are still limited to a certain number of recharges before they need to be replaced. Given that, it sounds like I should follow Option #2 above (keep the AC plugged in as often as possible). Does that sound right in your experience?

Any other battery-care wisdom will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

David

2. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. davidJlin

Great article, Barry! Thanks!

Please check me to make sure I understand correctly:

After the break-in period, as long as I perform a complete charge/discharge cycle once every 3 months, I can keep the tablet plugged into the wall without having to fear battery degradation. (?)

Thanks again,

David

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You're on the right track. All batteries degrade over time a little bit regardless of the charging/discharging patterns. However, you will substantially preserve the charging capacity of yours by doing a full charge and discharge every so often.

I would run the battery through at least one full cycle monthly. Also avoid leaving your machine in extreme temperatures such as in your car during the summer or winter. People out here in Arizona constantly fry their notebook batteries because they leave them out in the car that can climb over 250 degrees farenheit during the summer! When a litium ion battery gets that hot, the chemicals tend to break down (not to mention the internal components of the computer).

5. davidJlin

Barry,

Great advice! Thanks for the tips!

David