Opinions from T4010 owners

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by rcxAsh, Dec 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rcxAsh

rcxAsh Scribbler - Standard Member

So in my search for notebooks, it seems that I have settled on the Fujitsu Lifebook T4010. In general, I have decided that I would like to get a notebook over a desktop for the reason of portability.

However, I am posting this thread because I really want to have some assurance that the T4010 is a really good choice. Up until now, all I have are specs on paper, and very little thoughts from people who know about what really matters.

My reasons for leaning towards (ie, not final) the T4010 are as follows:
    • I thought a tablet convertible would be more useful than a conventional notebook for its ability to make hand written notes and diagrams (engineering student)
    • I wanted a notebook with an internal optical drive:
      • Acer C300 series
      • Toshiba R15
      • Fujitsu T4010
      • No LG notebooks have internal optical drives?
      • New IBM convertible does not have an internal drive.
    • T4010 is around 4 lbs, whereas Toshiba R15 is around 6 lbs (I really want a notebook within the portable range or under)
    • I've heard mixed things about Acer, but mostly good things about Fujitsu quality-wise
    I have read some reviews on the T4010, but the thing about reviews is that the person reviewing it usually reviews it only after a short time of using it. So it's not clear about how the notebook will stand up to the ultimate test of time.

Thus, I was hoping to get some thoughts from actual owners of the Fujitsu T4010. I've exchanged a couple PMs with a T4010 user in another forum, and from what I gather, he likes his T4010 very much.

However, I still wanted to get a larger general opinion before I make my purchase. I'm aiming to purchase it between July and August of this year, so I still have a month and a half. Anything I should know? Stay away from the T4010? Or go for it?

Do you like your Fujitsu T4010? Would you recommend it? Any regrets purchasing yours?

I would appreciate any thoughts no matter how big or small.. just so long as they are serious, or if you're joking, make sure you let me know haha [:)]

/* rcxAsh */

2. robbyv

robbyv Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

I've owned a T4010 for about 3 months now... I've been an IBM Thinkpad user for most of my professional life, so I'm quality conscious when it comes to notebooks. I would highly recommend the T4010.

PROs:

- excellent build quality overall, good design
    - possible to extend battery life using modular battery
    - great tech support (the one time I've had to use it)

CONs:
    - 4200 rpm drive -- you should consider upgrading to an 80GB 5400 drive (I heard 7200 rpm drives aren't that much faster)
    - no pointing stick (trackpoint on the IBM) -- I just find it easier to use than touchpads

In short, I'm very happy with it, and I haven't come across any big complaints by other users (except reviewers who complain about features that they neglect to find out are configurable according to their preference).

3. centaur8

centaur8 Pen Pal - Newbie

I've only had the T4010 for a short time, but so far it has been a very solid machine. I have had no regrets so far. I'm with Robbyv on the hard drive...opt for the faster hard drive or upgrade this yourself if you can.

The modular battery is also a great option. Although it replaces the optical drive, the extra battery life is a real bonus.

Cons: If you are a music fan, you may be a little disappointed with the speakers.

Centaur8

4. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It is a very solid machine with great build quality and good service should you need it. My only hesitation in recommending it full bore is that it's a little older and won't perform as well as the newer units. Fujitsu will also be refreshing it this year, but we're not entirely sure when. We have the Acer en route and should have first thoughts on it in 10 days or so, so if you can wait, you might want see how that goes.

I would never talk someone out of Fujitsu though, I've been with them for 3 years. For buying, check www.portableone.com

5. arclite

arclite Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow, I just realized!

rcxAsh, your from UW forum right? I knew the name sounded familiar!

6. rcxAsh

Hi everyone! Thanks so much for the replies! I appologize for the delay in my response. I was waiting for the email notifications, so I hadn't returned to the forum to check out the thread. Turns out that I didn't subscribe to the thread :rolleyes:

BTW, for the great tech support that you received, are you in the US or Canada or elsewhere?

As for the slow hard drive, at least it is upgradable I guess. I've read that usually when you upgrade to a faster hard drive, the notebook ends up heating up considerably more. When I played with a demo T3010, it seemed already quite hot.. would you say that your T4010 gets quite hot?
    Hehe, I'll use headphones or external speakers for my music then :) I don't see myself blasting music through notebook speakers for obvious reasons.
    Yah, I wasn't expecting a blazing fast machine... I know full well that I will be trading off a lot of performance. Would you happen to know how old the T4010 is off hand? I've always been using older computers... might end up that way again, but it wouldn't be the first time. (I just stopped using a 733MHz P3 a few months ago! And am still only using a Sempron 2400+ now.. and it's not like I don't use my computer a lot)
    Hey minwoo! Nice to see you here too. :)

Oh, another question for the T4010 owners.. how is the weight and size of it? I've only seen the T3010 in person, so that's all I have to compare it to. According to what I read online, the T4010 is heavier than the T3010. How are your shoulders if you carry around all day? At just over 4 lbs, it's supposed to be in the light category, is it? 4 lbs means nothing to a person who has never owned a notebook, such as me :p

Thanks again for everyone's thoughts. Currently, despite the cons mentioned, I still feel pretty set on the T4010. So unless the new model comes out this summer and is priced under $3000 CAN or someone brings up a dire problem, I think I may go with it? So do keep any other thoughts coming.

7. rcxAsh

The C300? Actually, after visiting a notebook store and talking to the sales rep, he suggests that if I want to walk around writing on the tablet, that the Fujitsu would be better. The Acer tablet convertible they had on display was much larger than the T3010. I think it was the C300. (can't remember exactly, but it was definately larger than the T3010)

Thus, I'm not sure about Acer. The other thing about Acer.. I still can't get a solid idea about their quality. Most people either don't say anything at all, or say it's terrible. But at the notebook store, the sales rep was saying that Acer was second worldwide. So either the quality of notebooks here in North American isn't that good, or people just don't feel comfortable paying so little for so much? A friend of my parents in Singapore who is a doctor says that Acer is quite popular over their apparently - at his work place I suppose. (My cousin actually just picked up an Acer PDA - not really related, but it's Acer)

Fujitsu on the other hand, I've heard nothing but praises. The sales rep recommended Fujitsu whole-heartedly.

8. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hang tight,

Our Acer C314 unexpectedly arrived yesterday. We will have a First Look w/ photos and commentary up shortly...

9. SuperRob

SuperRob Pen Pal - Newbie

UW forum? Are you guys both Huskies too? :)

10. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The 314 is brand new, I doubt it's in many retail stores yet, but it is one of the largest tablets. The Acer brand is good and their quality is above average. Check out notebook site and you'll see tons of people who love their machines. Fujitsu is great though and at the top of the quality scale with IBM.