Operating systems on the R1F/R1E

Discussion in 'Asus' started by JeromeMorrow, Jul 3, 2009.

?

Which guide do you want to see done the most?

1. Windows XP w/SP3 using nLite

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. Windows Vista Business w/SP1 using (x86 & x64)

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. Ubuntu 8.04 w/ Wacom hack

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  4. Gentoo 2008 - beta (may be 2008.0)

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  5. Mac OSX 10.5.2

8 vote(s)
    36.4%
  6. Other...

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. deek

deek Scribbler - Standard Member

Just to let everyone know,

I am planning on writing up guides on how to install & optimize every OS on the R1F (hopefully it translates to the R1E as well)

Right now im planning:
    XP w/SP3 using nLite
    Vista w/SP1 using vLite (x86 & x64)
    Ubuntu 8.04 with wacom hack
    Gentoo 2008 beta (maybe 2008.0 by the time I get to it)
    Mac OSX 10.5.2
    Other... please let me know

Please vote for the guide you would like to see done the soonest / most attention paid to.

2. yogi

yogi Pen Pal - Newbie

Man...Deek, you've really breathed new life into the Asus forum!!!! Thanx in advance for all your hard work. I'm going to try a Leo4allV3 install tomorrow.

3. aboveliquidice

aboveliquidice Pen Pal - Newbie

Just note that the drivers for the R1E will not match those for the R1f - most notably the chipset and vid drivers...

~above~

4. deek

Good point above. When making guides I will generalize when there is a difference (drivers,etc)

What I can do is get the guides up then make additions when someone who has an R1E goes through the guides.

As above has posted for the Mac OSX install it seems to function differently so I will only be able to do that for the R1F unless someone wants to buy me a R1E :D

5. deek

There will be a little bit of a delay on any guide, my power switch doesn't work :(

6. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I had that problem once. I had to reseat the battery and it worked fine after that.

7. deek

Oh well I had broke the switch myself but I just said it stopped working when I sent it in for another repair and they covered it under warranty!

As for guides I finish with my training for my new jobs here in 2 weeks so I will have more time to devote to projects.

Im pretty sure I'll be able to do the R1F->R1E mainboard swap and along with that a nice Intel Core 2 Duo P9500 45nm 25W cpu to vastly increase performance and increase battery life.

Then I will hit up the Mac OSX guide along with making scripts for linux so that getting a ubuntu,etc. disto is not a hassle.

8. yogi

yogi Pen Pal - Newbie

Deek, where are the guides?

9. deek

My R1F is currently not with me, as in the fact it is about 10 different pieces on my workbench. I am awaiting ASUS to get off their lazy asses and get my the parts I need to finish my project.

This does have one benefit. The onboard intel wireless chip is still not functional and is currently being worked on by a great group of OSX hackers. I am hoping that by mid October there will be a first draft of at least one of these guides.

Sorry for the delay!

10. Jack the R

Jack the R Pen Pal - Newbie

I'll watch for your Ubuntu write-up. I recently made the mistake of letting ubuntu upgrade the kernel (I assume this was the problem). It knocked out the tablet driver. I wasn't able to install the old tablet driver in the "Linux on R1F thread" or the new tablet driver. I ended up reinstalling Ubuntu from the cd I burned earlier this year, and the driver from the R1F thread, and now all is well again.

There is a new Ubuntu coming out this month. I wonder if it will be possible to get the tablet driver working at all.