openCanvas 5.5 Toolbar (Inspired from Photoshop toolbar thread) - NEED HELP

Discussion in 'Software' started by basicleader, Oct 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. basicleader

basicleader Pen Pal - Newbie

Last Edit : openCanvas 5.5 Toolbar - Final EXECUTABLE version

The aim of this toolbar is to make the use of openCanvas 5.5, using only the stylus of any pen tablet, as efficiently as possible without needing a keyboard to use openCanvas hotkeys.

Demo picture of the toolbar as it is when activated in openCanvas 5.5:
    toolbar2.jpg

0. This last version of the toolbar is now completely stand-alone, so it works without you installing anything. All you need to do is to go to my mediafire link and download the file. Once you have the Zip file, Unzip it anywhere you want.
    Go inside the "openCanvas Toolbar (Final)" Folder, and Launch the "openCanvas Toolbar Final.exe). Now, the toolbar is activated.

1. In order to use the toolbar, you need to setup your wacom drivers so that one of your stylus' button will be the mouse middle button. Doing so, everytime you push that button, the toolbar will appear around your cursor, and it will disappear as soon as you stop pushing that button. To use it, you then need to keep the button pushed while interacting with the toolbar.

2. CAUTION: For the toolbar to interact perfectly with openCanvas, you need to change the settings of openCanvas so that it doesn't interfere with the toolbar. In order to do that, go to Edit/Preferences/Tools tab, and UNCHECK "Use Hand Control".

3. CAUTION : Second thing to know is that the toolbar script brings up all the windows of openCanvas even if you have closed some of them. From there, all you need to do is to select the ones you never use and put them below the ones you usually use. In my case, I've put Navigator, Info, Loupe Magnifier, and a few others behind the Pencil tab. Doing so, the Pencil settings are always in front, and I can forget about the ones behind. If you look at the screenshot, I also used the fantastic customization options of openCanvas, to put all my different tools windows, in only one main window!

Demo1.jpg

Why do you need to do all those things? Because the toolbar script will behave almost like the artrage brush, that is, every time you will start drawing with your stylus, all the tools windows will automatically disappear to let you see your full canvas while you are drawing. Once the stylus leaves the screen (for cintiq/tablet pcs users) or the drawing tablet, the windows reappear straight away and you can interact with them again.

4. The toolbar's icons should be self-explanatory, so I let you try them all, but there are two buttons which will have a special behaviour:
    moveall.png brush.png
    The first one is the hand tool (Spacebar), and the second one is the brush size (CTRL+ALT). In order to use it easily, when you click on these buttons, the toolbar will automatically disappear, and the next Click and Drag will do the function you selected (that is moving the canvas with the hand tool, or resizing the brush).

5. OPTIONAL: I give you a quick list of the buttons' functions just in case (from the left column to the right):
    Cut, Copy, Paste, Delete, Move layer, Select tool, Transform selection, deselect, Undo, Redo, Previous document, Next document, Hand tool, Zoom in, Zoom out, Brush Size, Flip horizontal, Zoom 100%, Zoom to fit, Exit openCanvas and the toolbar.
    The new bottom lines adds New, Open, Rotations, Save buttons.

5. Now, if you are still interested in trying it out, you can download the toolbar here:
    HTML:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?gytvm8srruhgg32

**Be aware that the behaviour of the mouse cursor might be slightly off when using other apps while the toolbar is running. If it is too problematic, you can stop the script anytime thanks to Tray icon. Just right click on the openCanvas Tray icon, and click EXIT. OR you can use the exit button of the toolbar to exit both the toolbar and openCanvas!**

Enjoy!

Below, you can see a screen capture of the toolbar (in its older version) in action in openCanvas!

Attached Files:

• Demo.jpg
      Demo.jpg
      File size:
      93.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  2. basicleader

Alright,

I worked a bit on it, and I identified the buttons which are troublesome... And they are quite special indeed... Here is the picture of OC toolbar and shortkey window:

toolbar.jpg

Now in this toolbar, there're tools with a down arrow next to them, so that you can choose for example, between the "eraser" or the "magic eraser" or more erasers from older OC versions. By default, the shortkey for this button, is the same, meaning that if you push S once, you have the eraser, if you push S again, it switches to magic eraser, and so on, because they all have the same default shortkey... On my toolbar, I wanted to make the shortkey for the "eraser" different from the "magic eraser", and when I click on my AHK toolbar "magic eraser" button which send the letter U (the new shortkey), then the problem happens! It doesn't work!

So it seems that all the buttons on OC toolbar, that have the same DEFAULT shortkey, doesn't work anymore if you try to give them a different shortkey for each of them! PLUS!!! I tried even on the keyboard itself, and same problem, which means, it's not the script problem, but the software's problem in handling the changes of shortkeys...

So I'll try to work on a new script by using as much as the default shortkeys as possible... Otherwise, I'll also try on a previous version of OC to see if this problem always occurs!

Wait n see...

3. basicleader

Okay! All these things for nothing much! It seems that only that specific version of OC 5.5.06 (the one you can actually download on their website) had this shortkey problems, I tried on an older versions with no problem at all! And I found out on the beta testing of the next version that they have corrected those problems:

"Failure Correction
    Switching a tool by the shortcut key has been fixed."

Seems like I really was unlucky to try making my toolbar with this version of OC...!!!

Since it's working well enough on other versions.. I'll clean it up and share it here for those who want it!

4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Nice job.

AHK kinda sucks you in, doesn't it? I always feel exhausted but very satisfied when I come out successfully on the far end of a programming puzzle.

It takes a while, but reading through that big, long thread on the Photoshop toolbar, one finds all kinds of reveals and discoveries which can be added to an art program's toolbar. It's sort of a discovery course in AHK programming, and all written by a couple of lucid guys whose language is easy to follow.

5. basicleader

Thank you! One sure gets quickly addicted to AHK ! :) Once you've gone through some pages of the PS toolbar thread, you can't help but trying!!! It's like an easy to grasp AHK bible!

I finished the toolbar package, so I just give everybody the link to try it!
    If anybody is using openCanvas that is... Seems like much less people are using it lately!

But for those who never tried it, it's worth it. It's still improving at the moment, and the last 5.5 version includes very simple perspective rulers (to use along your perspective learning books), make things even easier to grasp and put into practice.

Well, here is the toolbar for those who want it:

openCanvas toolbar.zip

Enjoy!

6. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Looks great basicleader! And good job on the coding! To make your script run at the highest speed, you could add the following line right at the top of your script:

SetBatchLines -1

Indeed as thatcomicsguy says, it's disconcertingly easy to waste a lot of time trying to get something to work properly in AHK. But I think he's found from using his own toolbar that it's worth all the effort you put in.

If you use Sai, thatcomicsguy's toolbar is really cool as you can switch it from Photoshop to Sai in one-click. If you're looking for something different, right in the "Photoshop Toolbar" thread, Steve B and I have been working on a Sai version of the ArtRage Pen-Only Toolbar. See post #448 here:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/software/47928-photoshop-toolbar-45.html
    If you use v. 2.10 with Sai, you'll want to have your Sai windows (Color, Tool, Navigator and Layer) all popup enabled.

Anyway, I don't mean to hijack your thread. You should definitely post your toolbar when it's finished: I'm sure OC users will be interested. Congrats again!

7. basicleader

Hi lblb! Thanks for your help! I added the line you advised me to my script!!! On my old atom-powered cintiq, I won't say no to a boost of speed in my script^^

I was actually trying out SAI on my other computer (non-drawing) with the 2.9 toolbar (thought it was the last one) before I read your post! And it sure makes me want to install SAI again on the cintiq one, and SAI is so lightweight too ! I guess I'll try this soon =)

As for openCanvas users, I'm registering on mediafire and sharing my toolbar right away! See my next post! =)

8. basicleader

To all openCanvas users who would like to try this toolbar, you can download it here:

openCanvas toolbar.zip

The important part of the Readme file follows:

OpenCanvas Toolbar (AutoHotKey Scripting) by Basic Leader
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    What you need on your computer:

- You need to install openCanvas 5 (or latest)
    - You need to install AutoHotKey (see “AHK Setup” folder)
    - You need to import my customized “keyconfig.osl” shortkey file into openCanvas.
    To do this, launch openCanvas, go to “Edit”, then “Shortcut Key Setting” and click on “import file” after that, look for your “openCanvas toolbar” folder, and inside it, choose my “keyconfig.osl” file and open it. You’re done!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Using the toolbar:

- Launch openCanvas
    - Launch openCanvas toolbar application (it should appear in the middle of your screen)
    - Move the toolbar where you want it to be by clicking on the MOVE button and dragging the toolbar around!
    - Setup your openCanvas windows the way you want it! (see my “extra” folder pictures for an example)
    - Start drawing! Hope you like it!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------- The toolbar contains the following buttons:

First line:
    Move = Click here to move the toolbar around
    Pencil
    Eraser
    Magic Eraser
    Watercolor
    Airbrush
    Blur
    Previous Brush = Change to prev. tool brush
    Next Brush = Change to next tool brush
    Fingertip
    Spread
    Burn
    Dodge
    Fill
    Fill Rectangle, Ellipse…
    Gradient
    Type, Type mask
    Eyedropper
    Color Wheel = When you have hidden the windows but only need the color window to carry on painting, click this button!

Second Line:
    Tab = To hide the windows
    New
    New from clipboard
    Open
    Close
    Save
    Save as
    Undo
    Redo
    Previous document
    Next document
    Crop
    Magic Wand
    Select
    Cut
    Copy
    Paste
    Move layer
    Deselect

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Enjoy !

9. basicleader

I have tried to reply normally yesterday and today, but since nothing is coming up, I'll do a quick reply with just the link to download the openCanvas toolbar:
    openCanvas Toolbar Final.zip

Enjoy!!!

10. basicleader

Sorry for the wait, I think I posted many times my toolbar... but if only I had read carefully... I guess I need to wait for the admins to accept my post (because of the link I suppose..)

For the time being, I'm trying to improve my workflow, but I can't make it happen, what I want is ...

1. I want the script to detect when I click the mouse "Rbutton" using my stylus in the openCanvas window only.
    2. Once it has detected that I clicked, I want it to be able to detect if I'm holding it down.
    3. if "Rbutton" is DOWN = I want the script to send CTRL+ALT and keep it down until it detects that "Rbutton" is UP again.

This is to add the last thing I need to become a completely one-handed drawing machine, the brushsize control on my pen! Like this, when I right click in the layer windows, or other openCanvas windows, it acts like a normal right-click, but when I hold it down on my drawing for say more than 1 second, it becomes the brushsize control!

Do you guys think it possible, I've been browsing the AHKwebsite to experiment but no results so far! I'll look around the PS toolbar thread for something similar too! Thanks for your time! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.