ooo... got to touch a 4210 today...

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by rob1116, Jul 6, 2006.

1. rob1116

rob1116 Scribbler - Standard Member

... and my first impression was quite good. I definitely enjoyed the layout and aesthetics, and was impressed with the accuracy and tactile feel of the actual writing (I have never used a tablet before today). In all respects, I would surely choose the 4210 over the Toshiba M400 (which I was playing with as well), except for one glaring, possibly dealing breaking issue...

The M400 was the SXGA version, and IMO, it was the perfect resolution for a 12" screen. The quality of the Fujitsu display was obviously good (it was an indoor/outdoor model, and despite that, was still relatively bright), but 1024x768 leaves you with so little room to work. Again, this might not be an issue for some users, and it might be something I can work around, but given the option, I would pay much more than the $50 Toshiba charges to upgrade the M400 to SXGA... if only Fujitsu would give us the chance!

(OT: I was also playing with a P1500D... freakin' sweet little machine)

2. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You have stated a valid point. While the Fujitsu build quality is outstanding, the 1024x768 resolution on the 12" display can be problematic for some users who need to see more on the screen at once. On the other hand, some users may prefer the larger fonts and images at this resolution. It is really a matter of preference and needs.

3. PYROTAK

PYROTAK Scribbler - Standard Member

at this point i hate fujitsu since they don't have SXGA+ screen because i refuse to get the m400 since it doesn't have a modular bay battery. Anyone have any idea what type of battery life we are looking at with their super extended battery? And i hear it has super loud fan sounds which sounds like it would be super annoying.

ahhhhhh needs more SXGA+!!!!

question, where did you touch said tablets, i want to touch one too!

4. rob1116

Answer: It was at a little notebook store in Toronto... run by a guy that loves Fujitsu, and thus, stocks many demo models of them for such a small store. If you live in the area, let me know and I'll PM you the details.

5. rob1116

Indeed, which resolution one chooses is a matter of personal preference... but what stinks is that if they dropped an SXGA panel in there, the users that prefer XGA can just select it; but with the XGA panel, I don't get any choice, even if I am willing to pay for it.

Anywho, my visit did little to help my decision, lol. I fell in love with the whole Fujitsu package, but was simultaneously tempted by the boring-but-high-res Toshiba.

Sigh. Assuming the upcoming (tomorrow, right? :eek: ) review of the 4210 doesn't expose any major issues, I'll probably just buy one and curb my multi-windowing ways.

6. caeci11ius

caeci11ius Moderator Moderator

Running LCDs in non-native resolutions looks ****ty, even with the newer ones which have reasonable resize capabilities. That's one reason I always wished they'd ship them with 1280*960 resolution...it devides evenly to 640*480, which if you happened to want to play a game on your laptop could be very handy ;-)

7. PYROTAK

PYROTAK Scribbler - Standard Member

I think he meant that people who want a XGA screen can purchase a XGA screen and people who want a SXGA screen can purchase a SXGA screen.

1280x960...isn't that a widescreen resolution? my nec lcd has a native of 1280x1020 or something like that, or maybe my lcd is just extra square.

oh and gaming on a integated gma 950 you might as well go buy a DS lite since there will be no gaming done on said computer haha.

8. geekocd

geekocd Pen Pal - Newbie

9. KoMarik

KoMarik Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm looking at T4210 (FPCM10902, mid-range model, vs m400 (specifically, m400-S4032 configuration). The configuration of both models is definitely comparable (actually Toshiba is closer to Fujitsu's top range FPCM10903 model at a better price). My biggest concerns with Toshiba are build quality and fan noise. Can you (or someone who has experience with both) comment on these issues. Am I wrong in stating that everything else is comparable or very similar? Toshiba has Firewire, a little nifty cross-action button (not sure useful or not), scrollable touchpad (vs. Fuji's scroll button) and SXGA option. Fujitsu has a modular bay, but this is not that important for me (although probably is for some people). Wouldn't these options and a price difference (assuming 3 year warranty on both) give it a slight edge over Fujitsu? Don't get me wrong, I like Fujitsu as a brand, but is T4210 really a better tablet? Any info is most welcome.

TIA,
    -M-

10. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Lets face it KoMarik... all these and others are personal preferences.
    You said it yourself; your not into the modular bay battery, whereas to some this is one of the most important features.

As such, my pointers may well not be your idea of hitting the scorecard.
    All I will add is a couple of items you have not mentioned:-
    The M400 is bloated with software ~ an awful lot which you will spend time trying to remove.
    The screen on the M400 we know is SXGA+ but what's not mentioned much is like all other tablets it turns to the left only.
    Whereas the T4210 is unique in that it turns both left & right ~ ideal if you have someone sat at the side of you. Your not restricted in it's use.