Onyx Boox Max Carta

Discussion in 'eReaders' started by Kumabjorn, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Well, either next generation as I mentioned or the new Sony DTP-RP1 that just came out. Be aware though that it is only a dedicated PDF reader, no other tricks in its bag.

Skickat från min SGP412 via Tapatalk

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

3. Lrae

Lrae Pen Pal - Newbie

i was wondering were you bought your device. thanks.

4. Kumabjorn

Sorry for the delay. I bought it through some Indian reseller I believe. I contacted Onyx International and they forwarded my request. There was Japanese speaking personell there so I think that might have been the reason.

5. Kumabjorn

So, I thought it might be time for a little update on my (mis)adventures with the Onyx Boox Max Carta (OBMC - one step below OBGYN). I really had two objectives with this device, PDF annotations and outdoor screen for my other devices. So far I guess I have scored half a point in both fields.

The PDF reader called NeoReader 2.0 is an unremarkable PDF annotator. Supposedly it should hande multiple documents, or att least up to four. But it doesn't do it on the same screen. You have to go to the home screen in order to shift document. It all boils down to insufficient RAM. I GB doesn't cut it in today's world. So for reading through a PDF file from beginning to end, it works fine and ink is passable. Nothing to get excited about, but it is legible. I will be trying out some alternatives to see what I can get done, but Acrobat Reader looked down on my OBMC and said no thanks, I'll stay away. EzPDF would install, but it is a very colorful app so it doesn't look good on e-ink.

As for external outdoors monitor, it seems the possibility is there for Windows. But I figured I'd start small. If I could run Word from my phone and have it displayed on the OBMC I'd be in hog heaven. Alas, downloading four different casting receivers only yielded that I could cast photos, music and video (which is not recommended) using AllCast on my phone and AllCast Receiver on the OBMC.
    Next attempt was to use AirPlay from my iPad Pro 9.7, I bought something I think was called Mirroring360 made by Spalshtop, but pricey at $15. That sort of worked, AirPlay found it but as soon as a connection was made it crashed. I did it three or four times before giving up.

Instead I have downloaded WPSOffice, sort of compatible with Word, it reads .doc and .docx files, but something happens with styles and other setting. Still, it does work for basic text input and I really didn't have higher aspirations than that. Granted though, at that price it seems fair to expect a little more.

I will now continue to look for solutions, probably moving over to Windows devices in a while, but I'm really keen to see if I can't get one of my phones to work as a VNC server and connect to the OBMC as an outdoor secondary screen. One of the benefits is that all computing would take place on the phone, a lot faster than the OBMC. I only rally need the screen function of it.

kvoram, WillAdams and JoeS like this.
  6. Kumabjorn

A new chapter in the ongoing saga of having a large e-ink device as a second monitor.
    First I tried TeamViewer, it has raving reviews on the Net and some claim they've got it to work on their OBMC. Well, guess what? The android client doesn't run on it, maybe it will once it gets an upgrade to Android 4.4, but on 4.0.2 it states that it cannot run a display driver.

Next option was something called TightVNC on the HP Envy x2, which runs on a 1370x766 screen (I know, it is old, but it works) together with a VNC host called Remote Ripple Pro (there is a free version available). After two failed attempt to connect, the documentation is a bit scarce, I was able to establish a direct connection over WiFi between the two devices. And that released a whole new bunch of genies that I'm now trying to put back in the bottle.
    The first is the discrepancy in screen resolutions, only part of the screen is available on the OBMC. And this confuses me because the e-ink supposedly has 2200x1650 pixels, hence there should be space over. And yes there is, at the bottom of the screen, but left to right is insufficient. Why can't it fit 766 pixels into a 1650 pixel long area? It doesn't make sense.

What would life be without computational challenges?

WillAdams and kvoram like this.
  7. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hmm, no frustration, happiness, less broken keyboards? Makes me wish the human-computer interaction was as easy as in Star Trek. Future historians will research us and wonder how we managed to deal with those annoyances. Maybe the next time I break a keyboard I will bury it deep in the ground with an explanatory note for them...

WillAdams likes this.
  8. Kumabjorn

No, no, no, it would be tedious and boring, akin to driving down the Autobahn in a BMW. Give me British country roads with an MG that has a leather belt for locking down the bonnet and the uncertainty of when the engine will break down so I can take out my picknick basket and watch great men with wrenches getting their shirts oily.

kvoram, bloodycape and WillAdams like this.
  9. Kumabjorn

Soo, I was finally able to make the HP Envy x2 laptop screen line up with the OBMC higher resolution. But it is still kind of limited, but in my exact user case it actually doesn't matter, at least until I want to accomplish something else. I set the HP to 1024x768 resolution, thus the same 4:3 aspect ratio as the OBMC device. I make the connection and then I switch the HP into portrait mode, the OBMC follows, with some sighing and moaning (that is what the blinking looks like), once it is stable I call up the Remote Ripple Pro menu (menu button on OBMC, it doesn't have a Home button btw [what's up with that?] so you always have to back out of apps) and on the menu is a Fit to Screen option. Select that and the screens line up perfectly. Since the OBMC screen is so much better in resolution, I open Word (2010 in this case) and maximize it. I then use the zoom feature and set it to 80 % and the document now looks gorgeous on the OBMC. It is a lot of preparation, I'll give you that, Not exactly like turning on an iPad. But it does actually work, though I will have to bring my Windows phone (that I use as a router) and just to be sure an extra battery for the phone. But I don't foresee any marathon outdoor writing sessions. The HP comes with both a battery in the screen and the keyboard/dock if memory serves, so if need be I could use it outdoors for eight hours or more probably since I can turn down the HP screen to a minimum. I just need to make sure I have enough shade that I can see the HP screen until all the settings have been made.

I bought it to accomplish exactly two objectives. Annotating large format PDF files, mainly specialty books on Japanese history, and being able to write on Word outdoors. It has taken about two weeks to accomplish this through a lot of googling, searching through different fora. If anyone should ever have the desire to do something similar I hope these musings may shorten your travel to e-ink nirvana to a day or two. Only thing left now is to figure out how to rotate the screen outside the NeoReader 2.0 app (included PDF reader).

WillAdams, JoeS and kvoram like this.
  10. Kumabjorn

snip_20170712140652.jpg snip_20170712140551.jpg Just some illustrations to better understand the whole setup.
    The first picture shows what I am ultimately aiming for, the one below what I can do right now.

Attached Files:

WillAdams likes this.