Onyx Boox Max Carta

Discussion in 'eReaders' started by Kumabjorn, Jun 7, 2017.

1. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

Attached. It's in the public domain, came from imslp, so no copyright issues sharing it.

Attached Files:

2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

So..., I was about to take down @violajack 's suggested Mendelssohn piece. Hence, I decided to take along the OBMC to my local Misudo (Japanese doughnut shop) and nothing else. Well, well, well... when I took it out of its sleeve it showed a charge cable and a battery icon with a flash symbol through it. Something must be wrong, I thought. I charged if fully less than three days ago and after that I used it at most for an hour, and I know I turned off both WiFi and BT specifically to save battery.

So, returning back home, it was with some trepidation I inserted the micro USB charge cable, but the screen immediately turned on and it booted up. I went into Android System --> Battery and it reported battery usage 2d 5h 44m 38s on battery.
    Divided by:
    Device idle 46%
    Android OS 43%
    Screen 5%
    Wi-Fi 5%
    Browser 2%

Why the hell is the OS so active when turned off, and why is there something called Device idle that etas up juice? And more importantly, will 4.4 rectify this?

3. Aashna

Aashna Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Kumabjorn,

Just wondering if you could help me out. I was thinking of getting the Boox Max Carta for work as a second monitor due to being unable to work for long periods on LCD monitors. My question is how do you turn it into a secondary monitor? I can't find any instructions online on how to do this, and I want to make sure that I know how to do it before I put the money down. Anything that you have learnt from your own experience would be great. Thanks :)

4. Kumabjorn

[​IMG] @violajack

This is what it looks like in Music Sheet Pro

5. Kumabjorn

And this is what it looks like in XoDo

[​IMG]

6. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

Oooooo that's pretty. You're in the file edit screen of MobileSheets, not display, but from Xodo I can get a feel for it. Can you write on it using the pen in Xodo?

From the main MobileSheets screen, clicking on the song title should open it full screen. I'm not sure how you ended up in file edit instead, or is that where it dropped you on import? If you click OK it should take you back out to the full screen view. From there, if you click the tool that looks like a paint brush, it will take you annotate mode.

Thanks for taking the time to try the file.

7. Kumabjorn

Mobile Sheets was a huge app for the Onyx (or rather I'm still very cautious) so I immediately deleted it from the system.
    Yes, it looks like it was printed on heavy stock, it actually looks better than print on newsprint or other cheaper paper.
    And there was no problem annotating,I forgot to take a photo of that. In case you are concerned about what your handwriting will look like, I'm not since I'm the only one that sees it, is recommend that you first enlarge the screen, write and then decrease it again. That will look very neat.

violajack likes this.
  8. hitman

hitman Scribbler - Standard Member

So Kumabjorn, what's your overall opinion of the Onyx now? Good value? Any major negative? Also where would you recommend to buy? I'm in Indonesia.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

9. Kumabjorn

No, I would pass on it, it is underpowered, with an insufficient CPU and a smartphone battery. A Max 2 is in the pipeline and that should provide more oompf. Having said that I still hold out some hope that the 4.4 upgrade will improve the situation.
    I won't call it a scam, but it is almost as if Onyx have calculated on making the cheapest possible assemblage in order to charge the highest possible price.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 4

WillAdams likes this.
  10. hitman

hitman Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for being so honest with your reply. Disappointed as a large e-reader which can be annotated would be ideal for my needs. Any other suggestions?

Kumabjorn likes this.