Onyx Boox Max Carta

Discussion in 'eReaders' started by Kumabjorn, Jun 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I forgot to mention that none of my Wacom EMR pens worked on it. Hence, you need to be careful with that Onyx pen. The good thing is that it has a nice size, the top glides inwards so I guess there are plans to give it an eraser function. But I could be overly optimistic. I will say this for the Chinese developers at Onyx, they seem ambitious.

kvoram likes this.
  2. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

3. Kumabjorn

No battery in the pen.

4. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Mystery solved. I was mistaken, Onyx uses an EMR pen from Hanvon. So the digitizers on the Sony and Onyx were different all along.

At least Onyx did use Hanvon on the previous Onyx Boox Max, so I assume it is the same on the new Carta:

WillAdams likes this.
  5. Kumabjorn

So a Hanvon pen will work on it? Wonder where I can find those.

6. Kumabjorn

@violajack I took down something called Read Sheet Music but that was obviously developed for phones, it looked kind of ridiculous on the large Onyx Max Carta screen, but it did look like a sheet of music. However, I think page turning will be too slow with a whole bunch of refreshes each time you go to a new page. So while it may look gorgeous I doubt that it is practical in actual usage. Seems to me like you'd need to initiate a page turn when you have two line of notes left to go, and if you need to focus on your play, that screen flicker has to be a distraction (granted I know nothing about how it is to play it).

I thought I'd get hold of the old Microsoft Office Hub, for Android before 4.4. Alas, that was reported as not compatible with my device (4.0.4), but perhaps sideloading the app and it might still run, so now I need to go hunting for APK files, and hopefully not get a whole bunch of Android viruses on my e-reader.

One thing that has me concerned is that under Andorid Settings ---> Apps it reports 1 GB available and 400 MB of that taken. I'm hoping this is some kind of mistaken system reporting, because if I look under SD Card it reports 12 GB available (where the other 4 GB has disappeared I don't know) but all Google apps refuse to move to the SD Card.

The actual external SD Card I installed though is 32 GB and that doesn't even show up in Apps. My first Android tablet was a ViewSonic that ran ICS so I have actually been through these things before, but it is apalling how fast those memories disappear when you no longer need them.

[​IMG]

WillAdams likes this.
  7. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

Does MobileSheets Free turn up in the store?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

8. Kumabjorn

I believe it did, I took it down on my Galaxy Note 10.1 to test it and honestly not being a musician I found it confusing. I expected an interface with note lines and the you draw by hand the notes and other notations you want and then the software replaces it with proper graphical symbols, akin to how you might draw a triangle and it is replaced with a proper figure.

WillAdams likes this.
  9. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

Ah, no, this is not a music writing app. It's purely for the display of sheet music for performance or practice. More of an ereader vs a word processor. So the first thing you see is your library. You'd need to import a PDF then open it from inside the app to see how it displays.

10. Kumabjorn

Are there any friendly places in r the internet providing sheet music in off format?

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.