Onyx Boox Max Carta

Discussion in 'eReaders' started by Kumabjorn, Jun 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

If you've got time, I can send you some PDFs and MobileSheets Pro has a free version in the Play Store that you could download. I mostly want to know if annotating would even work, you'd just have to try to write tiny numbers over the notes. I don't suppose you have a bluetooth footpedal around to test, but mobilesheets can turn using arrow keys from any bluetooth keyboard.

2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Oh ok, I thought you wanted me to try some Android sheet music app. PDF files work fine, it comes with Onyx own PDF reader, but you can use any Play Store app that is compatible.

3. hitman

hitman Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi Kumabjorn, thanks for the response. Can you give some feedback on what it's like to use? Is there much latency on page turn. Also the experience of using the pen to annotate pdfs. This is what I will want to use it for plus reading ebooks. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

4. hitman

hitman Scribbler - Standard Member

I've just re-read this thread and realised you've only just ordered the Onyx. Perhaps you can post your thoughts on it after you receive. Also perhaps a link to where you purchased. I'm in SE Asia so was thinking of buying in Singapore but not sure if they're available there yet? Anyway, good luck with your purchase.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

5. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I am curious what pen tech the new Carta uses. The first-gen Onyx Boox Max used EMR just like the first-gen Sony, but the second-gen Sony switched to AES. Has the Carta also made the switch?

6. Kumabjorn

The only switch is the screen, so it should still use EMR, I have plenty of styli so I'll try them.

JoeS and WillAdams like this.
  7. Kumabjorn

It is sitting in Yamato's distribution center in northern Tokyo. Hopefully I'll have it early next week.

8. Kumabjorn

So it arrived today. I've had it for a few hours, setting up Wi-Fi, connecting my Microsoft Wedge Bluetooth Keyboard. Trying to find some apps to download and test. My initial impression is that this is a one workhorse device. It will probably handle PDF annotations very smoothly, at least if you aren't depending on a cloud service like Dropbox. Google and OneDrive seem to work fine though and I'm sure you can connect to Dropbox through your browser, although I haven gotten that far yet.

Although Bluetooth worked fine with the Wedge it didn't work with the Microsoft Foldable, this could however be related to a need to release it from the device it was last connected to. Japanese apartments and all that. However, it really did not connect to the Apple Wireless Keyboard. It found the Apple keyboard but then stated that it couldn't communicate with it. So if you are dependent on Apple hardware you might think twice.

Also, I couldn't install Adobe Reader, but XoDo was no problem. Neither Google Play Books. So from a reading viewpoint it should work fine. A page in Google Books is huge, without wi-fi and BT you should be able to read five or more books before charging the device. BTW, a charger was not included.

Translation of the Chinese manual is if not abominable at least inadequate.

My ambition was to write this first posting on the device, but after two hours of fruitless labor I had to give up. It started with me downloading TextMaker, a German Word clone I used before Microsoft released Word for Android. I even used it on my HTC Desire back in the day so I had high expectations. Silly girl! Two of three words never made it to the screen. Granted I'm a half decent typist, but wtg would look like that. Instant uninstall. I found Androids smallest Wordprocessor called Notepad Pro. This worked as far as the typing was concerned. The copy the text, open the browser and paste..., well paste what? There was no paste function in the browser or keyboard. Back to Play Store and testen clipboad apps. Well, they want a downsliding notification area. What are they thinking? That we live in 2017? Come on! Nothing of all those efforts came of.

So now I'm sitting in front of my desktop writing on my regular Logitech K810. But am I remorsefull? Actually no, at least not yet. I have proven that I can set it up and write text on it. So far so good. I can connect to the internet, and it is scheduled for an upgrade to Android 4.4 in the near future. But it costs as much as a phone with a 2.7k screen, with quad core CPU and 64 GB of storage. Ohh, talking about storage it rejected my 64 GB mSD cards, but a 32 card was accepted. So price wise I feel like I've been violated by a coprologist. But I can't use a phone like that to write on outdoors so I will have to grit it and face my violator with a smile on my lips.

JoeS, WillAdams and kvoram like this.
  9. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, the huge prices for big e-ink devices suck. I mean, if you take away the screen, the rest of the specs are that of a sub-$100 device. Those e-ink picture frames are awesome as well but cost thousands. I would really like to know what part of the production process makes e-ink so expensive, it can't be just the smaller production runs.

As for uninstallable apps, in some cases the old Android version of the Carta might be an issue but it might be possible to install an older app-version directly with the .apk-file. I found androiddrawer.com to be a great source for those.

Regarding the microSD-slot, if it has really a physical SDHC slot and not a SDXC one, then 32 GB might be really the limit. But it might be worth a try to format the 64GB card differently as the current format might be the reason for the Carta not accepting it. Try to format the 64GB card as FAT32. You have to use third-party tool like Fat32Formatter, since Windows on its own will do FAT32 only up to 32GB.

10. Kumabjorn

Good idea @kvoram, I'll give it a shot in a day or two. Doing testruns like this brings back memories of editing .INF files in Windows.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.