Onyx Boox Max Carta

Discussion in 'eReaders' started by Kumabjorn, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

So I scratched an itch today. Sometimes a girl just can't help herself.

I ordered an Onyx Boox Max Carta, that looks like it will be shipped from India to Japan, so I'll have to wait for it until next week. It is way over priced but considering demand I'm sure they have no choice, price was $700, but for that they threw in free shipping and a protection film.

It will run Android 4.0.4 on arrival but we have been promised an upgrade to Android 4.4. My plan is to use it an annotator for PDF files, a secondary monitor enabling me to use my Asus Vivo Tab Note outdoors. I find it interesting that there are solutions for Ussing it as a secondary monitor with a Windows device, but not a second Android device or an iOS device.

Once I've had it for a while I'll post a lengthy review, unless you also want my first impressions.

kvoram, JoeS, WillAdams and 1 other person like this.
  2. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Is this a new device? Why the old OS version?

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

3. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member

If it has an EMR stylus, I think I know what my next device is.

4. Kumabjorn

It is the same device as Onyx Boox Max, which I think is something like a year old. The upgrade is the screen, Carta has better contrast and almost twice the resolution. So the old Android is because it already works in the Boox Max and the newer versions test external memory cards as virus Intruders, not very helpful for something that likely will mostly be used as an e-reader.

WillAdams likes this.
  5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Plus I think the UI is heavily customized, so maybe they just don't have the (wo)manpower to make all that custom stuff work with more recent Android versions. Still, a more up to date OS would be nice. Apart from that, very much looking forward to your impressions.

6. Kumabjorn

That and some of the apps it ships with. Probably need to rewrite those from the ground up for the Material look.

JoeS likes this.
  7. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It looks interesting, but they could have at least upgraded to Android 5. 4.0 ICS is nearly 6 years old now and 4.4 is closer to 4 years old now. I think 5.0 was also material based, but it's been a long while since I have a device with 5.0.

8. hitman

hitman Scribbler - Standard Member

Would love to hear your first impressions of this. Also reasons for choosing over the new Sony digital paper release.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

9. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

Even though I'm all grumbly about it, I'm interested to know what sheet music would look like on one of these giant eInk screens. I'm reading more about it, and I see that Banggood actually has them for just under $700 as well. I'm still not ready to plunk down that much of my own money, but I'll be very interested in your impressions of the device.

10. Kumabjorn

@hitman
    They are priced equally and technically the Sony is superior, but for me it boils down to software and usability. The Sony is a one way work horse, it does PDF and it does it well, but nothing else. I want to run OneNote, Word and use it as a second monitor. This could become available on the Sony if someone figure out how to root it. Or it could not, my experience with Japanese makers is that they lock down their devices like crazy, because they know that they suck at supporting them, hence they hate creative users. Sony is one of the worst, they tried making everything proprietary on their Vaios, so now they are out of the computer business.

@violajack
    You'll need to provide some tips for what you want me to check, music to me is dancing, don't even listen to it that much. But a piano concerto by Chopin is never wrong.