Onyx Boox Android e-readers

Discussion in 'Other Android Tablet Manufacturers' started by Kumabjorn, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

For some reason Onyx uses screens without touch in some models, I believe the Max is the same. There are buttons for page turns when using it as a reader, but I wonder how you do zoom in other applications without finger touch support.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

2. Jamon

Jamon Scribbler - Standard Member

That's easy, you buy 2 pens and use them like chopsticks, then you can zoom.

There's also a 6" version with 300 PPI display coming out next month. I'm conflicted about the big one, because it's the same panel as the Sony DPTS1, which is 1600x1200. But there's a newer higher resolution version that's 2200x1650. I read Onyx was going to use the newer one, but it was delayed, so they chose to use the older one so they could ship the product. The problem is that I heard this is a market test, to see if people are willing to buy such an expensive large device. I want the higher resolution version, but if I don't help pay for this batch, there might not be a newer version.

I'm also wondering how the screen refresh compares between the various sizes. The 9.7" is Pearl, 6" is Carta, and 13.3" is Mobius. The smallest seems to have higher contrast, and possibly faster refresh.

I was mostly interested in the 13.3" to try to use as an outdoors tablet, now that Fujitsu and others stopped manufacturing reflective or transflective slates with Wacom. I thought maybe with it having Bluetooth and Android I could use it to SSH into a server, and program in direct sunlight. I have no experience with eink, so I don't know how practical that is, and if the latency between text updates on the screen would be too much, or if it'd leave trails that make it unreadable and then do that flash all the time which would be too annoying to actually use.

I also thought it'd be nice as a typewriter using the external keyboard, where writing posts like this might be a different experience, since it'd be like typing to paper. Also as a piece of paper for brainstorming, drawing diagrams of ideas, although I have doubts about the accuracy of that Hanvon pen.

But for testing out eink for general computing purposes instead of an ereader, maybe the cheapest small one is better for now. Or 9.7" as a compromise, and for testing the pen. Or just thinking of the 13.3" as an experiment and investment. None of the options seem correct.

Also, that thing about chopsticks wasn't true, don't go trying to buy 2 pens it won't work. At 13.3" hopefully most pages wouldn't need a zoom or pan. But if you had to, there's probably some zoom and pan tool, where instead of pinching you tap it then use it with the pen like you would a mouse. Or you could buy a magnifying glass.

3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

As for refresh rate I believe you can go into settings and trek the system how often you want the screen refreshed. I don't think it happens after inputting a new character

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

4. Jamon

Jamon Scribbler - Standard Member

Sony DPT-S1 vs. Onyx Boox Max

[​IMG]