Onyx Boox Android e-readers

Discussion in 'Other Android Tablet Manufacturers' started by Kumabjorn, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Chinese e-ink device maker Onyx has a series of Android devices with e-ink screens. I have for a long time been waiting for a large e-ink device that lets me use it for more than reading books. Thus, I had high hopes for the Sony DP-1, but alas it was too proprietary. Now it looks like Onyx is about to release a 13.3 e-ink device called Boox Max running Android 4.0.4 (I wish it would run 4.4 this making Office compatible) so I'm curious if anyone here has used Onyx e-readers and have any input on their devices.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

2. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

This looks like it'll be built on the same platform that goodereader is using for their 13" reader. They've hit their Indiegogo goal, so that'll be in production soon too. They're estimating a september 2016 delivery. It'll be interesting to see how many options come out on this platform and how the prices will stack up. I'm interested in this form factor, but not interested in spending $700 on one until they start seeing newer versions of Android.

3. Kumabjorn

Actually there are a lot of differences between them. RAM, storage, touch support, warranty and so on.

Balbutio ergo sum

4. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

Ah, didn't realize. I'll have to take a closer look.

Sent from my HP Pro Slate 12 using Tapatalk

5. Kumabjorn

Yes, the Onyx Max is released, but production quantities are still small so all pre-orders is yet to be filled. The only reason I'm not buying one at this time is that the Android version it is running is a bit on the old dude and won't allow for OneNote. I would also love to run TwoMon on it and use it as a second monitor outdoors.

6. Jamon

Jamon Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm looking at buying one to use with bluetooth keyboard. They disabled USB host mode, so a USB keyboard won't work. Unfortunately the screen is only 150 PPI, whereas the 6" model has 300 DPI. Another thing to keep in mind is that the 13.3" only works with the Hanvon pen, whereas the 9.7" has both capacitive touch and pen support.

Max: 13.3" Mobius, 150 PPI, Pen, $660
    N96: 9.7" Pearl, 150 PPI, Pen + Touch, $400

This video shows them side-by-side toward the end:

7. soh5

soh5 Surface or Bust Senior Member

I think I am getting the 9.7" reader. Perfect for scanning my textbooks and carrying on the go.

8. Kumabjorn

There are more than one 9.7 model I believe. Make sure you get one with specs that suits your needs.

9. soh5

soh5 Surface or Bust Senior Member

Both models have capacitive touch and EMR pen recognition as far as I understand it. However one has a reading light?

Am I right or wrong about this Kuma?

10. Jamon

Jamon Scribbler - Standard Member

N96 DT works with finger and pen. N96 ML works with pen only and has a light.

Kumabjorn and soh5 like this.