onenote vs. gobinder

Discussion in 'OneNote, Evernote and Organizers' started by skisteven1, Mar 5, 2007.

1. skisteven1

skisteven1 Pen Pal - Newbie

I've heard from many people that OneNote 2007 is absolutely fantastic, and so that's what I've been using for the past month or so for all my notes. I like it -- it's pretty good at what it does. However, one of my main gripes is its inability to do something on a "sheet" of paper. ie. If I print a PDF into one-note, and then print to a printer, it should still be the same size! But no, that is not the case.

I recently heard from someone that Agilix Gobinder is much better than onenote -- particularly with keeping things to one-page sized, and still allowing you to scroll with continuous notes.

Does anyone here have any experience? Any suggestions?

2. Daring

Daring Moderator

Both are nice products. I originally used GoBinder as the print to ON2003 did not make the text searchable and GoBinder did. Vista broke GoBinder and they took a very long time to fix the issue (late January 2007--I was running the beta). This forced me to run ON2007 which I turned out to like fairly well. I still think GoBinder has a nicer interface, however even under XP it would crash on me periodically and ON2007 has been a rock. ON2007 also appears faster and I never liked the calendar/contacts stuff in GoBinder. I already used Outlook and even though you could synch with Outlook this was just another point of failure. Much easier to just use Outlook.

Bottom line, try both. Both have free trials and one may suit you better then the other. GoBinder does support BlackBoard so if you're in a campus setting this may be an excellent choice.

3. Sassafras

Sassafras Scribbler - Standard Member

I have to agree with Daring.....I have had issues with GoBinder that I have not had with OneNote 2003 or One Note 2007. As far as printing...I had the same type of issues you speak of between both programs. Actually a little worse with GoBinder. I always had to add a page rather than scroll down more room otherwise the software would lag considerably. And a print page was not necessarily the page size shown on the screen. As someone who was a huge proponent of Go Binder, I have found I prefer OneNote 2007 better overall. It also better links with tasks in outlook as well. So you can have your assigmentto the right of your notes. Gobinder became a headache for me to use...and though I wish their were print page improvements in One Note....the software doesn't frustrate me nearly as much as gobinder did.

4. kwokzon

kwokzon Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm not sure how you use GoBinder or OneNote, but if you simply want to edit and markup .pdf or .ppt files, I suggest using Powerpoint directly (Office 2003 and 2007 supports if perfectly) and PDF Annotator that also works pretty well. Of course the printing out of the pages is in the same format then originally with these options.

5. Daring

Daring Moderator

Thanks Kwokzon for reminding us to never overlook the easy solution first!:D As Kwokzon points out if all of your documents originate in PDF (or Word, Excel, etc.) you can annotate the document directly. Office 2003 and 2007 have ink annotation capability and you can get Acrobat (which has poor editing capabilities) or PDF Annotator (which I use).

There are a couple of problems with this approach. Most applications that support ink annotations do not allow you to search the ink. Even fewer yet allow you to search ink across documents.

6. Sassafras

Sassafras Scribbler - Standard Member

How I take care of the pdf size being smaller once printed to one note, is when i print to my printer I set the printer preferences so that the document prints at 115% to 120% of the size.....that increases the pdf size to make it more readable. For me that has been an easy fix. One note seems to enlarge in proporation from the top left hand margin. So I can easily increase the print size.

I do a lot of pdf annotation for papers I have to write etc. One class of mine does not have a text, instead we read journal articles and such we have to download from our course webpage. I like being able to keep all my readings in one note, rather than having to open individual files.

7. RoyalBean

RoyalBean Pen Pal - Newbie

Last fall, I switched from onenote to gobinder. Go binder seemed a lot more intuitive, especially with how things could be organized. The main reason i switched to go binder was its printing abilities. Documents printed into gobinder acted just like the notebook paper, and for the most part, they appeared in go binder just how the looked in the pdf or ppt form. In onenote 2003, I always ended up just doing screen clippings to get what i wanted int he right spots, which obviously took forever.

So before tonight I would have recommended gobinder, but then I installed vista. I did upgrade gobinder to the latest version that was supposed to vista compatible. I think opened my database to study for an exam I have in two days. In this class the professor hands out pdfs which i then write on. Well half of the slides were gone, just leaving my inkings. Half of my other notes were gone to. In documents where i had printed ppt files, all the images were gone, and the pdf seemed to just be randomly missing images and text.

So for now, I will install gobinder on another computer that still has XP, so I can study for my exam, but I will be transitioning to OneNote 07. Two of the reasons I used gobinder instead of OneNote was the much better printing capabilities and the fact that you could write in full screen. Now that you can print to one note easily and use fullscreen to take notes in onenote, I think I will just use that.

(Oh, and I tried reprinting some of the original pdfs and ppts to gobinder after it was installed in vista, and the same thing happened, just random missing images and text. Most pdfs work fine, but it must have something to do with how the professor in my one class puts together the pdfs, because none of the images show up. Anyway, the problem isn't just because of a corrupted file)

8. SebastianK

SebastianK Pen Pal - Newbie

Onenote 149,- $
    Gobinder 49,-$

For the most students the choice may be given with the price:)

What I can not find out: which one supports other languages?

9. Daring

Daring Moderator

Actually Buy.com has ON2007 for $54 (as well as several other online retailers) and academic pricing is even less. They also have Office 2007 Student (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and ON) for $130 so pricing may not be a huge issue.

10. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

In the UK we can only dream of these kind of prices.
    Our only hope is in continuing to boycott sales and push our Prime Minister in to talking with MS for cheaper titles.