OneNote vs. Evernote

Discussion in 'OneNote, Evernote and Organizers' started by Daring, Nov 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well, c'mon everyone, which one is better? Why?

2. dr.sam

dr.sam Pen Pal - Newbie

common onenote, evernote users..give us some feedback please..

3. MRL

MRL Forum Moderator

EverNote has a forum and the developers are receptive to adding requested functions in upcoming releases.
    I got used to the OneNote ink/text combination in a single note and being able to ink over text or ink over a picture. I really miss not having this in EverNote.
    However, I am beginning to like the way I can just drop notes into EverNote without having to be somewhat organized up front as OneNote forces you.
    I also like how fast EverNote is in searching for "text".
    I purchased SnagIt to be able to capture screen images and drop them into EverNote (OneNote has a direct screen capture function).
    The user community surrounding EverNote seems to be building. I want to investigate writing your own template.

Everyone should at least download the free version of EverNote.

4. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I would not waste my time. OneNote is perfect. I love it. It really helps with studies.

5. Daring

Daring Moderator

I haven't played at all with EverNote (yet...) however as far as I can tell there is no way to search text in OneNote. At least not text that you want to be able to ink over.

6. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hey Daring,

Can you explain further. What do you exactly mean by "text that you want to be able to ink over"? Could you explain further?

Thanks,

Barry

7. Daring

Daring Moderator

Sure. But before I do let me just start with the fact that I did install EverNote last night.

Let me first state that these are only initial impressions. I only spent < 1 hour with the program.

Pros: Simply awesome interface, love the categories and the timeline view.

Cons: Do not like the paper tape concept and would prefer that in addition to categories you could assign a document name otherwise your number of categories will need to get VERY large. Document import is less then stellar. Tried to cut and paste a Word document with some small tables and the tables were completely removed. Other fonts, etc did not match the original well. Needs a printer driver. Also will not allow you to "ink over text".
    Still, not bad for a v. 1.0 product. Has serious potential.

Now to the question at hand, what is meant by "ink over text". Lets say that I have a Word document (and believe me I do...), and I want to be able to annotate it. I can use the print to OneNote printer driver to send the document to OneNote. However this changes the document to an image. This means that while I can annotate it when I do a search anything that was in the original document will not be taken into consideration during the search. It also means that the image "document" is much larger.

Contrast this with Journal or GoBinder. If you go through the same steps (print to ...) you still get a document that you can annotate in ink. However if you search the original document will also be searched. This is a HUGE benefit. Now if I missing something please let me know. I already own OneNote and while Journal does allow searching both ink and text it is one file at a time (kind of defeats the purpose). I like GoBinder, but if I can avoid laying out cash it would likely improve my marriage. :)

8. Amit

Amit Pen Pal - Newbie

How can I convert handwriting to text in Onenote from Digimemo from acecad(model digimemo692) I can only paste the handwritten file( with *dhw or dnd extensions.) Whereas I already have figured out from the webpostings how to do it in Evernote trial version. If anybody can tell me how then I will not have to buy Evernote.
    Thanks

9. bilzebub

bilzebub Pen Pal - Newbie

Excellent point daren. I've been typing with onenote to get used to it while still on my conventional notebook, and it seems that this might make gobinder worth the purchase ... but no one else has taken up the thread...

10. Daring

Daring Moderator

I made the leap and went with GoBinder. OneNote does not have any such facility to convert documents while retaining the searchable text. It is however promised in OneNote 12, which I believe is slated for release Mid-2006.

Don't get me wrong GoBinder 2005 has plenty of places it could be improved. There is a GoBinder 2006 pre-release out, but I really don't have the time to play with it now. Further, although OneNote has many nice features, that one feature was a dealbreaker for me and I couldn't wait until 2006 to decide on a system to use.